Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing computers but not external hard drive, how to modify and delete catalog  (Read 1607 times)

ymc226

Moving my relatively new 2012 Mac Mini from office back home (has LR4 and PS CS6 installed).   It has a LR catalog that I want to delete completely.

Presently at home, I use my MacBook Pro which I want to take "offline" in regards to photo editing, which also has LR4 and PS installed and is attached to an external drive with all my pictures that I want to have the Mac Mini LR4 recognize.

1) Can I just delete the Lightroom folder which contains the a Backups folder, and the following files:  LR4 Catalog Previews.Irdata, LR 4 Catalog.Ircat, LR4 Catalog Ircat-journal, and LR4 Catalog.Ircat.lock?

2) How do I "sync" up LR4 on the new Mini to existing picture foldesr on the old hard drive, essentially making a new catalog?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:28:29 am by ymc226 »

Costas

1) Can I just delete the Lightroom folder which contains the a Backups folder, and the following files:  LR4 Catalog Previews.Irdata, LR 4 Catalog.Ircat, LR4 Catalog Ircat-journal, and LR4 Catalog.Ircat.lock?

2) How do I "sync" up LR4 on the new Mini to existing picture foldesr on the old hard drive, essentially making a new catalog?

1) yes you can delete those if you really do not ever wnat to use them again
2) you would have to import every folder/image and generate previews for all those images, all over again

Why do you want to do that, why not just copy the existing Lightroom folder to your new machine, you could do this via your external drive as a 2 stage process; copy from old machine to ext - copy ext to new machine. If you have a lot of images could save a lot of processing time compared to starting from scratch.

ymc226

Thank you.

I will copy the files from my MBP to my Mac Mini.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Lawrence
Pages: [1]   Go Up