Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The ultimate Linearization: my take  (Read 23390 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The ultimate Linearization: my take
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:53:26 am »

I agree with Ernst about the ProPhoto color space.  It's not all that important for B/W.  Keep up the good work on this!

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:48:51 am »

Hello Ernst and Alan,
thanks for the comment.

I agree with both of you:
in fact I currently have settled my working spaces to AdobeRGB and Gray Gamma 2.2 colorspaces, which share the same gamma companding function.
Frankly said, I use AdobeRGB even for color, but this is not the right place to start another ProPhoto vs AdobeRGB discussions. The argument is well documented elsewhere and all the advantages/disadvantages are known, so it's good that everyone can make their own choice based on their specific personal requirements.

The project started as B&W optimized, as explained,
but after some test I realized that, as ICC print, the L* linearized tone curve could be tested/used even for color prints without fear of massive undesired side effects, being equivalent in theory to a common adjustment of the L* channel in Lab mode.

The use of the tone neutralized correction in color prints raises more question in my mind, because I cannot be sure that a color shift correction based on the gray axis could not bring unwanted color shifts in other gamut zones. So, this specific case is currently something to be considered "experimental" and under test.

In any case, for potential color applications/test I think that it could be useful to have still ProPhoto covered.

Any comment is still welcome.

Ciao :)

Andrea

startkapital

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 08:20:08 am »

is just fantastic reading your posts Andrea! Grazie e continuate così!

Offtopic: Every thought about upgrading your Colormunki to a EFI ES-1000 / EyeOne Pro  or a even the newer EyeOne Pro2 i1Pro2

A ebay seller from Holland Netherland tends to have lots of diffent refurbished units.
http://myworld.ebay.de/copierbobnl

ask him out

Peter Bardsley

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:42 am »

Dear NeroMetalliko

I completely agree with your approach, which I have been using (clumsily, with a photoshop curve) for some time - with a great improvement in the impact and subtlety of my prints (ABW mode on an Epson 3800). I use a lot of luminance masking, and starting with a clean, flat, neutral image is very helpful. I would very much appreciate any practical advice or help in creating a device link profile (I am fine on measuring and generating the curve, using Mathematica).

By the way, it seems that the QTR tool does everything I need (for BW), apart from imposing a view on what the curve should look like. It might be very easy, and a great public service, for the owners of this wonderful piece of software to produce a linear version. For colour work, though, a more general approach would be very worthwhile.

Grazie!

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 07:51:48 am »

Something similar done here, only for G7 calibration.
http://printplanet.com/forums/color-management/21307-calculate-g7-curves-excel

I really think you should team up, and make a opensource project or something.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up