Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog Question When Upgrading to Another Version of LR  (Read 5976 times)

Kit-V

Catalog Question When Upgrading to Another Version of LR
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »

I have a basic question regarding the Catalog when upgrading to a newer version of LR. My first experience with LR was with the introduction of LR4. I currently have only one Catalog. I will undoubtedly upgrade to LR5 when it is out of beta. Since my intent will be to replace LR4 with LR5, will my LR4 Catalog, as well as all of my LR4 Presets be transferred to LR5? If not, could someone kindly educate me one what I can expect. Many thanks.

Kit

Falling Fork Photography

Simon Garrett

Re: Catalog Question When Upgrading to Another Version of LR
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

It depends on whether the new version of LR uses a new catalogue format, a new preset format etc.

If it's all the same format, it just carries on working with your existing catalogue, presets etc. 

If the new version has a new catalogue format, then what probably happens is that first time you run it (the release version LR5, not the beta) it will copy your existing catalogue into a new one in the new format, probably converting all your presets too. 

I expect it will work with or convert all your existing stuff, or warn you of anything that doesn't convert. 

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »

Sounds reasonable explanation to me, Simon. I would think that the developers at Adobe have the experience to make the transition as seamless as possible. Again, thank you.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »

Julieanne Kost and others at Adobe have said that Lightroom 5 will import your Lightroom 4 catalogues.  No one's announced a new Process Version for LR5 but if they did I imagine it would be similar to LR3->4 where you can continue to work and use your old presets with the old PV or update them to the new one.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Kit-V

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »

Thank you, Mike, for the information.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up