Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piccure - anyone tried this plugin?  (Read 7065 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Piccure - anyone tried this plugin?
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »

This looks kind of interesting, for camera shake at least, has anyone tried it? It looks like it tries to calculate the PSF and deconvolves, there are some settings you can play with, kind of interesting if it works.

http://intelligentimagingsolutions.com/index.php/en/

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

texshooter

Re: Piccure - anyone tried this plugin?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »

It can only handle 8 bit images, so I'm not even curious.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »

Supposedly the next, any-day-now iteration of Photoshop CC will have something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=stUD-DRhTZg

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:06 am »

This looks kind of interesting, for camera shake at least, has anyone tried it? It looks like it tries to calculate the PSF and deconvolves, there are some settings you can play with, kind of interesting if it works.

http://intelligentimagingsolutions.com/index.php/en/

Alan

I tried it but I was not able to get very good results. I think that I would need more time with it…

Edit: After a bit more time with Piccure, I'd say that results were acceptable, sometimes but I only played with this software for 1/2 hour, not long enough.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:48:06 am by francois »
Francois

daws

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:35:29 am »

I haven't tried Piccure, but Focus Magic has a camera shake reduction function in its sharpening package that works very well in my opinion. Works with 16 bit images, as a standalone or Photoshop plugin, 64bit or 32bit platforms.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:29:14 am »

It can only handle 8 bit images, so I'm not even curious.

That sucks.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PuterPro

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:46:00 am »

Hi All!

Just an update to an old topic.
They've released Piccure+ which can handle almost all RAWs as well as well as doing 16 bit now.
It has a standalone program, and includes plugins to launch from LR and Photoshop products.

It claims to handle CAMERA shake (but not subject movement) and lens softness & aberrations.

They say:  "Lens+ corrects optical aberrations and
increases overall image sharpness whilst accounting for
individual manufacturing deviations."

And: "Convenient batch processing in standalone product and
seamless integration into Adobe® Photoshop®, Lightroom®
and Photoshop Elements®.

RAW processing and full sRGB, ProPhoto RGB (MY highlight ...) and Adobe RGB support."

I'm currently playing with it and have gotten some "OMG" results as well as some "WTF" ones ...!  ;D

It has an option for Denoise, that crashes 90% of the time on my main Win7 machine, but seems to play nicely on my Win8.1 Surface Pro 3 Tablet/Laptop.
Odd. (Mumbles under his breath about new software releases.)
Haven't chased that much, just playing with it at this point ... I don't like using the tablet's small 12" screen, and I haven't calibrated it yet.

They CLAIM to be able to get the sharpness of a $3K lens from a $300 lens.  Nice market-speak.  ::)

That said, it does a nice job on some images, and it works on SCANNED images and other pictures that were taken without being covered by a Lens Profile in DxO or Adobe products, which if they get it working is a killer feature for some people.
I'm sure there are lots of experts here that have the time to play with ImageMagick scripts and the like, and get a rush out of rolling their own, (GOD BLESS THEM!!) but there's also a large audience of people that don't have the time, skills, knowledge, or inclination to mess with all that and just want a simple solution to image sharpness without a lot of hoo-haw. (Boy, that was a long sentence!) ;) PS & LR can only do so much. The introduction of Lens Profiles is great, but what if you've thousands of scanned slides or negatives from film days? Got a profile for THAT Adobe/DxO ??
Not so much.

IMHO sharpening is one of the biggest banes of our existence in post. If someone masters it for the more time and / or skilled challenged people, they'll make a fortune.

BTW - I've had some contact with Tech Support, and they respond quickly, which is always a plus for me.
Just wanted to share a heads up on its release, there's a free trial for 14 Days which isn't crippled or puts in stupid watermarks (I HATE that!).  ;D

Not posting a link, new on the Forums (although a fully qualified lurker for many years ... LOL!)
You all know how to search. (Well ... some sure can't figure it out it seems ...!)

Please feel free to comment, I don't owe these guys anything, but it looks like it could be another arrow in our quivers.

All the Best, PuterPro

OH yea - seems they may be using some ImageMagick code behind the scenes, as well as some QT programming, which is how I ended up here, following posts on ImageMagick ...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:52:29 am by PuterPro »

Lundberg02

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »

The OP's link produces Error 404 in German. This link is correct    http://piccureplus.com
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:07:32 am by Lundberg02 »

PuterPro

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:24 am »

Thanks for the Link correction!

I have a program I use on Clients computers to cleanup the malware (Adwcleaner) that the Author's site is French. Drives me nuts with updates! 
Was sleeping a lot in High school ... ::)

Update on my Piccure testing:
Jury's still out. Great results for micro shake, but for larger movement, Focus Magic seems to work better. SOMETIMES.
The selection point you choose in the Motion module is critical. The manual doesn't discuss it's placement enough.

When Piccure does work, it's great, but it seems too unstable to be the "go to" in a workflow.

That said, sometimes you need a sword, and sometimes a dagger, eh?

Time crunched right now, I'll try and get back for some pics to post ...

PuterPro
Pages: [1]   Go Up