Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions  (Read 187752 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions
« Reply #720 on: May 24, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »

Yeah.  Sorry I was not more clear.  Another try:  When I stop the subscription, the version of Photoshop present at that time would remain on my hard drive for me to use "in perpetuity," and would allow me to access all of the features that Adobe had added during the time I did subscribe.  I was not talking about my image files, but the Photoshop program itself.

No, the version on your hard drive, the version you paid a subscription towards doesn't work once you stop paying. Just like when you stop paying for HBO, it stops. You can go back to the perceptually licensed version you own (CS6 would be a good one) and edit the files you created in CC if done correctly but without access to the newer features.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #721 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »

It still sounds too good to be true...

And goes against the grain of everything that has been presented thus far either directly from Adobe or as analyzed by others.

walter.sk

« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:51 pm »

No, the version on your hard drive, the version you paid a subscription towards doesn't work once you stop paying. Just like when you stop paying for HBO, it stops. You can go back to the perceptually licensed version you own (CS6 would be a good one) and edit the files you created in CC if done correctly but without access to the newer features.

That's what I had understood.  I think I should "chat" with the Adobe website and inform them that somebody is giving out incorrect information.

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »

That's what I had understood.  I think I should "chat" with the Adobe website and inform them that somebody is giving out incorrect information.
    Sounds like their sales people will stoop to lying to get you to sign up for the cloud... :o They don't seem to care if their credibility goes down the drain with this CC plan......and with most artists I know it can't get much lower.

Deardorff

« Reply #724 on: May 25, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »

CS6 is my last version of Photoshop - and installing it was a major nightmare with Adobe Tech help folks as my work computer does not hook up to the internet.

Add in, slow connection in our rural area often causes used and downloads to 'time out' and shut off. Then, paying by card with automatic deductions is not something I ever do.

Will keep using CS6 and find another substitute if and when I need something newer.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #725 on: May 25, 2013, 04:17:48 pm »

I would be very interested to hear what they had to say Walter ???

Dave

walter.sk

« Reply #726 on: May 26, 2013, 10:38:24 am »

I would be very interested to hear what they had to say Walter ???

Dave

Their "chat" function is apparently reserved for business days.  Will try again on Tuesday.  But I'm pretty sure that they will say it was an error.  I don't think it was an actual lie as much as a poorly informed worker about a confusingly written policy (I hope).

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #727 on: May 26, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »

Now I've seen nodal workflows like this many years back in video applications and thought them interesting, but they always struck me as something that would confuse the heck out of many people.
Not to mention the ridiculous amount of real estate they take up.

And right you are, jjj. Coming from a painting background I find working in layers very restricting and cumbersome from a creative POV established from painting's propensity for allowing noodling around with tools and techniques at hand (paint mixing, knives, washes, brush scuttling, etc) that deliver an immediate response and results.

The use of layers imposes a workflow that shoehorns the creative process from ever helping a creative come up with something unique and new due to the fact that a long drawn out systematic step by step layer approach forces the user to have the end result already in mind in order to keep it in mind also requiring someone else came up with the process to get the same results (i.e. Dragan effect, over cranked HDR, cross process, sepia etc.)  A recipe for a lot of sameness in image creation.

Trying to fully grasp all the numerous tools including layers and what they do to an unfinished image in Photoshop is too much to keep in one's head in order to "Find a look" where one's left to copy a look someone else already established in a tutorial.

The simple example below illustrates an HDR look I was wanting to achieve with a High Pass filter layer in PS where I wanted to get this look in ACR in order to eliminate a layered tiff copy of the image. The key issue here is that I had to get this look FIRST in PS using layers to find the right tool combination in ACR IOW I had to have something to look at to copy from because I couldn't conceptualize what I was trying to get noodling around in ACR which is a much more pleasant experience over layer manipulation and "Blend If" triangle sliders or masks.

I actually prefer the ACR results on the left better than the High Pass layer effect on the right.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:57:21 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

walter.sk

Verified with Adobe...
« Reply #728 on: May 29, 2013, 03:21:21 pm »

Well, I had my chat with Adobe on their website today.  I presented the info as given by the Adobe phone person last week, namely, that were I to subscribe to the cloud and then stop after several months I would retain the use of Photoshop CC even after I cancel, and would simply not get any more updates to the program.

Of course the guy in the chat cleared that up and said no: you lose all access to the program but, of course, you retain your work files. I told him that I had received misinformation and asked if he could relay the message to the Adobe staff to make sure everyone there is on the same page.  He agreed.

I sincerely doubt that the Adobe sales guy had lied knowingly.  By the way, he said he has a good used car he is selling, as well...
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]   Go Up