Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions  (Read 187745 times)

LKaven

Re: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions
« Reply #700 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »

I'd still like to know why this new technology hasn't found its way into Photoshop or into alternative competing products. Especially if it has been worked on for a decade or more. People can and do adjust to new ways of doing things. We need only back-cast the rapid transition from film to digital.

If I had to guess, I'd say there are two reasons:

1) Adobe felt they had a cash cow with photoshop, and felt no reason to innovate while they were deeply entrenched.  User expectations were matched to the (limitations on) possibilities as marketing by Adobe.

2) Competing interests did not want to invest $200M or so to try to go up against Adobe's business machine. 

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #701 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:26 pm »

No, there is one simple reason:

Photoshop is not a Compositing tool.

It started as a digital image editor, and grew up during a time when such processing on the desktop was simply unique, and nodal processing totally and utterly impossible.

It is fine that you want to propose doing stuff differently now, and starting from scratch, but you should realise that what you are proposing is a compositing application (say and InDesign aimed at imaging), which allows you to edit separate components in the composition with a flexibility that pales the complexity of photoshop.

I have mentioned it before: I am not a great proponent of flexibility for its own sake. Just because you can come up with infinite possibilities, that doesn't mean it is in any way efficient of effective for its purpose. Define your workflow, define the average workflow of the target audience, then build a relatively flexible product to suite. You apparently expect the application to help you make compositions, while the majority of the photographers maybe just want to edit a single file.
(I don't know that, I am just stating this as an example).

So, how are those users helped when giving them an infinitely powerful compositer?
(Again, I am not dismissing your point of a total new approach to image editing and compositing, just wondering where and how you think it will fit a workflow in both a professional production environment, and a single user case).

Why would a company build a product that does all things for everyone, and then charge a mere 200usd for it and hope to survive?

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #702 on: May 17, 2013, 06:45:50 pm »

1) Adobe felt they had a cash cow with photoshop, and felt no reason to innovate while they were deeply entrenched.  User expectations were matched to the (limitations on) possibilities as marketing by Adobe.

2) Competing interests did not want to invest $200M or so to try to go up against Adobe's business machine.  

If I had to guess I'd say the potential gain in sales wasn't worth the investment. Producing the same results more easily is perceived as a minor improvement even if it takes a huge investment in technology to accomplish it, unless the original way of doing things was enormously difficult. Unless it lets users do something they couldn't do before, and want to do, innovation "under the hood" doesn't really matter much.
- Dean

LKaven

« Reply #703 on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:07 am »

No, there is one simple reason:

Photoshop is not a Compositing tool.

It started as a digital image editor, and grew up during a time when such processing on the desktop was simply unique, and nodal processing totally and utterly impossible.

It is fine that you want to propose doing stuff differently now, and starting from scratch, but you should realise that what you are proposing is a compositing application (say and InDesign aimed at imaging), which allows you to edit separate components in the composition with a flexibility that pales the complexity of photoshop.

I have mentioned it before: I am not a great proponent of flexibility for its own sake. Just because you can come up with infinite possibilities, that doesn't mean it is in any way efficient of effective for its purpose. Define your workflow, define the average workflow of the target audience, then build a relatively flexible product to suite. You apparently expect the application to help you make compositions, while the majority of the photographers maybe just want to edit a single file.
(I don't know that, I am just stating this as an example).

So, how are those users helped when giving them an infinitely powerful compositer?
(Again, I am not dismissing your point of a total new approach to image editing and compositing, just wondering where and how you think it will fit a workflow in both a professional production environment, and a single user case).

Why would a company build a product that does all things for everyone, and then charge a mere 200usd for it and hope to survive?

1) Compositing is just a common task for which to compare two architectures.

2) GEGL, being developed for GIMP 3 uses N-dimensional dataflow.

3) N-dimensional dataflow is efficient for tasks that aren't computing intensive.  It also exploits inherent parallelism for efficient use of multiple cores, threads, or networked processors.

4) Pixel editing can be done using a choice of methods.  You can do it just as before.  But N-dimensional dataflow allows for journaling for infinite undo, or baking in just as in photoshop.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #704 on: May 18, 2013, 08:04:37 am »

But N-dimensional dataflow allows for journaling for infinite undo, or baking in just as in photoshop.

To repeat what I and others have told you: if you know your way around Photoshop you can set your processing to allow undoing anything you've done. Maybe it's more work than would be required by the solution you are proposing, but let us not draw false dichotomies.

And to repeat again, before I would agree that Photoshop's technology is "obsolete" I would like to see a qualified digital imaging engineer who knows the architecture and capabilities of Photoshop to come into this thread and tell us in fact whether what Luke proposes would indeed work better for the many purposes of Photoshop, and whether it would cost a mint to implement it. We already have one relevant and perceptive view from Oscar, who comes at this with professional experience writing high quality Photoshop plugins that many of us used for years. I would like to see additional expertise on Photoshop itself advise further. Unless it is very clear, which it isn't yet, I don't buy this black&white line of argument that one thing is "obsolete" while the other isn't. More often than not, (inter alia, driven by differences of scope and purpose) there are shades of gray, nuances, details that tell the real story.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

LKaven

« Reply #705 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:57 am »

Since work of just this sort is being done for GIMP 3, it might be worthwhile to look in on that discussion. 

http://blog.mmiworks.net/2012/01/gimp-full-gegl-ahead.html

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2013, 10:34:33 am »

1) Compositing is just a common task for which to compare two architectures.

Agreed, and photoshop today can certainly be considered a compositing tool.

However, in the graphics industry we used to make a distinction between pixel graphics and vector graphics, because images would require about 300pixels per inch for quality printed output, but vector graphics, or text, would generally require 2400pixels per inch.

So, compositing images and text in a single composition for output would immediately run into this particular split.
A split that PostScript and PDF both have encountered in one way or another.

PDF can be considered a compositing language. I can store commands to start with a clean sheet of white of particular size, paste an image on top, and add some text on top of the image.

Great, but on output it has to make a decision on the resolution requirements of these elements. Not to mention that the output device resolution is the determining factor. But then PDF introduced transparency. And now you suddenly have to decide how to render between elements prior to output. (e.g. blending decisions between image and vectors).

I'm sure we make great strides with GPU based processing, but will it muster 2400ppi rendition in real time? Not that something like that is always necessary during preview, but it does serve as an example of production-centric requirements.

3) N-dimensional dataflow is efficient for tasks that aren't computing intensive. 

That would immediately disqualify it as viable for image processing.

It also exploits inherent parallelism for efficient use of multiple cores, threads, or networked processors.

On the contrary, the strongest argument in favour of nodal editing imo, is the fact that you can easily create aliases.
Make a composition with aliases, and as soon as you edit the original, all the aliases will automatically look similar.

But the entire point of that (for photographers) is stacking of aliases to add creative effects. For example:

1. Open an image,

2. Duplicate an alias on top of this image,

3. Apply a large-radius blur to the alias,

4. Apply a mask to the alias.

So, now you have a simplified soft-focus effect.
If you then add a small colorcorrection to the original image, it will automatically transfer to the alias representation.
Exactly what you would want. The entire stack including the colorcorrection remains a script. Can be saved for future use etc, so those are certainly desirable traits.

But…, the application of a colorcorrection on the original, which then should be used for the alias layer which requires a blur, is a serial sequence that is killing to parallelism and the kind of processing in GPUs. GPUs are primarily quick under very specific circumstances, one of which is "resident, read only" source data. So if you want read/write caching, the advantages of GPU processing start to crumble very quickly. (Look up any of the pitfalls about "concurrent" or multi-threaded processing). 

Okay, enough of the geekspeak already. This is all solvable by a bunch of bright programmers, but I thought it might be illustrative, of both the useful capabilities, but also the complexities involved.

4) Pixel editing can be done using a choice of methods.  You can do it just as before.  But N-dimensional dataflow allows for journaling for infinite undo, or baking in just as in photoshop.

Certainly, and I believe this is what most people really mean when they mention "parametric editing". They simply want to be able to revisit earlier edits and re-adjust. They understand the disadvantage of stacking several Geometry corrections, versus re-editing a single Geometry correction. (The latter only requires a single re-sampling operation).

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

LKaven

« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:15 am »

BTW, when I say, for example, that " N-dimensional dataflow is efficient for tasks that aren't computing intensive", I don't mean that N-d dataflow is less efficient for tasks that /are/ computing intensive.  I mean that N-d dataflow is no less efficient than 1-d dataflow for the tasks where 1-d dataflow is typically used.  N-d dataflow is more efficient for more compute-intensive tasks in virtue of the fact that the problems at hand are decomposed into inherently parallel task flow.  While your machine might have only one GPU, we often have 4-8 CPUs, as well as many other CPUs on locally-networked machines. 

I may have been a bit unclear in trying to be brief.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #708 on: May 18, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »

Imagine that you want to use a single source file for three purposes, for example (1) a layer mask, (2) a sharpening layer, and (3) an "overlay" blend (blending with itself for purposes of local contrast enhancement).  How would you do that without duplicating?  Remember, loading a layer mask is an implied duplication.  I don't know of any way to both derive and load a layer mask with a smart object.  Think about it.  You'll see it.  You could even have layers with controlled feedback, something that is patently impossible in photoshop.  There is an entire world beyond photoshop.
So you arbitrarily say I cannot do something in PS that is quick and simple to do as justification for a new workflow. Not a good way to make your point is it?
Besides, why would you even sharpen in PS when it's better/easier to do that on the raw files before even getting into PS? Sharpening in PS seems so old hat now.  :P

There are many things you can do with photoshop with considerable work.  With an N-dimensional dataflow, there are ways to do the same things with a trivial amount of work.
Not saying there are not ways in which you can do things better, but I find doing what you say is 'considerable work' in fact quite trivial to do. Cntrl/Cmd+j is not exactly a challenge is it?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #709 on: May 18, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »

Because they could wipe out the competition would be my first thought.
And if you already have products that it would be damaged by launching such software, surely it's better you release it before someone else does.
LR effectively did that that to Photoshop, when you look at PS users who are photographers.

jjj

« Reply #710 on: May 18, 2013, 10:29:40 pm »

Since work of just this sort is being done for GIMP 3, it might be worthwhile to look in on that discussion. 

http://blog.mmiworks.net/2012/01/gimp-full-gegl-ahead.html

I did just that and thought this was of note.

However, at the moment, you quite often see the following: ‘if you want this feature, you’ll have to use it on its own, extra layer.’ This is layer abuse. I get misquoted on this so let me clarify: users never abuse layers, developers do. Here are some examples of layer abuse:

the only way to do a non‐destructive operation is via an adjustment layer
only one vector shape per vector layer;
only one block of text on a text layer;
the output of a filter plugin is always put on a new layer;
the result of using a toolbox tool is always put on a new layer.
The problem is with ‘only,’ ‘always’ and ever more layers, whether users want them or not.

Reformation
The abuse listed above is straightforward to fix. Quite a bit of it has to do with enabling users to redo or revisit the image manipulation. That is solved by the operations dialog.

Furthermore, there can be as many vector shapes and text blocks on a layer as one likes. Just show them—and stack ’em—as sub‑layer elements in the layers dialog. And when then one of these sub‑layer elements is allowed to be actual pixels, then it is clear that the whole notion of special vector/text layer can disappear:

Layer abuse has to stop. Developers should never force users to use another layer. Only users decide how many layers they want to use, purely as their own personal way to organise their work.

Two things struck about this part of the article
1 - Keeping these things discrete is not actually a bad thing and can be 'solved' by using layer groups in PS.
2 - The alternative which looks no simpler and seems to replicate Layer groups - which did I mention this? - are already in PS.

Now I've seen nodal workflows like this many years back in video applications and thought them interesting, but they always struck me as something that would confuse the heck out of many people.
Not to mention the ridiculous amount of real estate they take up.

jjj

« Reply #711 on: May 18, 2013, 10:34:07 pm »

1) Adobe felt they had a cash cow with photoshop, and felt no reason to innovate while they were deeply entrenched.  User expectations were matched to the (limitations on) possibilities as marketing by Adobe.
Funny as each version of PS I've ever used has been much better than previous versions and I've used it since PS 3.0

LKaven

« Reply #712 on: May 19, 2013, 12:49:30 am »

Jeremy,

Keep in mind that an N-dimensional dataflow also includes all cases of N = 1 dimension.  If there is any case that you think you can do most efficiently with one dimension, then you have that option.  

While N-dimensional workflows can be arbitrarily complex, I think you'd agree that the maxim should be that the complexity of the workflow should be no more complex than required by the task being undertaken.  If you can do it do it more efficiently, then of course you should.

I don't believe all N-dimensional workflows can be -- in principle -- recast more efficiently into equivalent 1-dimensional workflows.  The operant terms are"more efficiently" and "in principle".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:36:09 pm by LKaven »

walter.sk

Called Adobe:Is this true re unsubscribing?
« Reply #713 on: May 24, 2013, 02:02:19 pm »

After reading all the threads dealing with the Creative Cloud, and Adobe's clarifications about it, my belief was that if you subscribed to the cloud and then left it at some point, you would have to go back to your last "perpetually licensed" version, in my case, Photoshop CS6, and would lose all of the CC features.  My wife, who has CS5 on her computer, wanted to upgrade to CS6 to have, so that when we do subscribe to the Creative Cloud she would have the last "real" version to use if we quit the cloud later.

She called Adobe to order the upgrade to CS6, and was told she did not have to get the upgrade.  She asked me to get on the phone and we both heard the Adobe guy say that if you subscribe to the cloud, say for a year or more, if you then stop subscribing, we would be able to have the then-current version of Photoshop on our computer and to use it as long as we would want to.  In addition, it would retain all of the new features up until that point, and what we would lose would only be future upgrades.

This seems to be 1) a contradiction of what I understood, and, 2) too good to be true, if it is true. 

Were we given the correct info?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Called Adobe:Is this true re unsubscribing?
« Reply #714 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

After reading all the threads dealing with the Creative Cloud, and Adobe's clarifications about it, my belief was that if you subscribed to the cloud and then left it at some point, you would have to go back to your last "perpetually licensed" version, in my case, Photoshop CS6, and would lose all of the CC features.

Yes or no, depending on how you deal with said new features. Many will work in older versions if you apply them onto a layer instead of say a Smart Object. I've had no difficulty using new functionality (shake reduction) in CC, applying that onto a good old PS layer, then going back to CS6. It's all there just fine. Of course you can't re-edit that since Shake Reduction doesn't exist in Photoshop CS6!

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #715 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:17 pm »

... we both heard the Adobe guy say that if you subscribe to the cloud, say for a year or more, if you then stop subscribing, we would be able to have the then-current version of Photoshop on our computer and to use it as long as we would want to.  In addition, it would retain all of the new features up until that point, and what we would lose would only be future upgrades.

It's not surprising that they would back down from their initial policy as a reaction to the backlash, but rather odd that such a large company would roll out a major policy change one on one, as a verbal offer, without a formal announcement or written statement.  Perhaps they were just using you as a sounding board?  Hey, this guy didn't yell at us and thought it sounded like a fair deal!  Try it on the next customer, too!

What Walter was told has nothing to do with what you bring up, Andrew.  Either it is a course change, or a confused sales agent that he spoke with.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #716 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:22 pm »

What Walter was told has nothing to do with what you bring up, Andrew.  Either it is a course change, or a confused sales agent that he spoke with.
I was only commenting on the poster who wrote: my belief was that if you subscribed to the cloud and then left it at some point, you would have to go back to your last "perpetually licensed" version, in my case, Photoshop CS6, and would lose all of the CC features.

You don't lose them in terms of work you've done (if done properly), but you can't re-edit them.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #717 on: May 24, 2013, 02:19:39 pm »

The sales pitch that was presented to Walter was much more satisfying to hang your hat on, though.  It would mean that you could continue to use the new features in the future, not just avoid loosing previous work.  It would also mean that they have decided to avoid the buyout approach that you were proposing, making it a much, much better deal.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ButchM

« Reply #718 on: May 24, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »

would lose all of the CC features.

Is it possible he was referring to the actual "cloud" features that are part of CC and not the actual software itself? ... data storage, file sharing, etc.

walter.sk

« Reply #719 on: May 24, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »

The sales pitch that was presented to Walter was much more satisfying to hang your hat on, though.  It would mean that you could continue to use the new features in the future, not just avoid loosing previous work.  It would also mean that they have decided to avoid the buyout approach that you were proposing, making it a much, much better deal.
Yeah.  Sorry I was not more clear.  Another try:  When I stop the subscription, the version of Photoshop present at that time would remain on my hard drive for me to use "in perpetuity," and would allow me to access all of the features that Adobe had added during the time I did subscribe.  I was not talking about my image files, but the Photoshop program itself.

It still sounds too good to be true...
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37   Go Up