Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions  (Read 187836 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions
« Reply #560 on: May 09, 2013, 04:20:38 pm »

Not to worry Ron. And I agree - 3700 is indeed more than a few dozen. I think we agree it will likely take some kind of critical mass, whatever number that is, to move changes in Adobe's current offering structure; but perhaps not - maybe they will see corporate PR benefit in at least being seen trying to address these concerns, even if only for a smaller but important niche of their total market base. Let's hope.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rick_boden

« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »

Hi Rick,

You mean something like this, or this?

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,
I had no idea those existed, thanks!   Now can you show me some Mac versions?     :)

Rick

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #562 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »

Hi Bart,
I had no idea those existed, thanks!   Now can you show me some Mac versions?     :)

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately not. Most of this type of development is done on the Windows OS platform, but you can probably use Parallels to run Windows applications on a Mac. Maybe this helps.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Janne Aavasalo

« Reply #563 on: May 09, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »

Not to worry Ron. And I agree - 3700 is indeed more than a few dozen. I think we agree it will likely take some kind of critical mass, whatever number that is, to move changes in Adobe's current offering structure; but perhaps not - maybe they will see corporate PR benefit in at least being seen trying to address these concerns, even if only for a smaller but important niche of their total market base. Let's hope.

The field gets larger quickly if users of other applications in the suite become aware of the situation, not just photographers (not saying they wouldn't be already).

The lack of "fallback" options at least at the moment is taken away for all suite applications, not just PS and I'm pretty sure that the future tools in CC versions aren't going to be backward compatible in other applications either.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #564 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:52 pm »

>>The ONLY way a subscription is acceptable is if at the end of the subscription period I own my software and can do whatever I want with it…AND I can reinstall my featurelocked software if I need to.

Actually, what if you could end your subscription, pay Adobe $700 and get locked into THAT version of CC forever? That OK? Because I suspect Adobe might like that idea. It’s like the end of a car lease. You want it, you pay for it. Adobe would just need to access your end of lease serial number and ban you from any further updates.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: May 09, 2013, 04:51:20 pm »

Andrew - at the end of a care lease you pay the REMAINING VALUE - i.e depreciated value. 700 is the FULL NEW price for Photoshop. Upgrades cost 200. People may find a 100~200 "keep it" fee reasonable after paying a year or two of rent.

rick_boden

« Reply #566 on: May 09, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately not. Most of this type of development is done on the Windows OS platform, but you can probably use Parallels to run Windows applications on a Mac. Maybe this helps.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, I do run Windows and I will definitely give both these applications a look.  I will be interested to see how they do with large files.  Thanks again, I really appreciate the heads up!

Rick

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #567 on: May 09, 2013, 05:31:21 pm »

Andrew - at the end of a care lease you pay the REMAINING VALUE - i.e depreciated value. 700 is the FULL NEW price for Photoshop. Upgrades cost 200. People may find a 100~200 "keep it" fee reasonable after paying a year or two of rent.

I know <g>. But 700 WAS the full price and it bought you a perceptual licenses too, so thinking different (like Adobe <G>):

Here's the deal. Adobe can't have you subscribe for 3 weeks, then decide to end the lease. They would probably have to have a minimum subscription (or like your phone, you pay a fee to get out). So you pay $20 a month or whatever for just Photoshop. 1 year, $240. Then after that year, let's just say you can 'buy out your lease" for $500. But what about the fellow who's leased, I mean subscribed for 2 years? Can't change them $500. Or can you?

IT can't be too complicated but should be a lot simpler than figuring out a end of car lease fee. Since Adobe knows how long you've subscribed, maybe they have a 1-2-3 year fee for the buyout that differs. Remember however, Adobe got it's $700 initially and wants to stop you from doing that once and never again, so I suspect if there is an out, it's going to cost you big time. But at least, there's an out!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #568 on: May 09, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »

I know <g>. But 700 WAS the full price and it bought you a perceptual licenses too, so thinking different (like Adobe <G>):

Here's the deal. Adobe can't have you subscribe for 3 weeks, then decide to end the lease. They would probably have to have a minimum subscription (or like your phone, you pay a fee to get out). So you pay $20 a month or whatever for just Photoshop. 1 year, $240. Then after that year, let's just say you can 'buy out your lease" for $500. But what about the fellow who's leased, I mean subscribed for 2 years? Can't change them $500. Or can you?

IT can't be too complicated but should be a lot simpler than figuring out a end of car lease fee. Since Adobe knows how long you've subscribed, maybe they have a 1-2-3 year fee for the buyout that differs. Remember however, Adobe got it's $700 initially and wants to stop you from doing that once and never again, so I suspect if there is an out, it's going to cost you big time. But at least, there's an out!

Yes I agree - something that is ostensibly fair to both parties should be workable.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #569 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »

You mean something like this, or this?

These are interesting, thanks. It seems to be a problem which is attracting the part-time attention of some smart people. The math must be interesting. I wonder, did Adobe buy a start-up as the basis for its promised solution. Piccure is another example which someone on Lula linked to. Those I have tried (Smart Deblur and Piccure) seem a bit hit or miss, but certainly capable of miracles - and also, when they fail, of some interestingly bizarre ways of increasing blur.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:25:08 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #570 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »

Yes I agree - something that is ostensibly fair to both parties should be workable.

It's going to be (really has to be) more fair to Adobe or they will just stick with what they have now. I'd like it the other way but I'm not that green!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #571 on: May 09, 2013, 05:50:56 pm »

Yup - neither of us were born yesterday!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions - PS CC7 from Russia
« Reply #572 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »

Just heard that there is a group of developers in Russia who have embraced the latest Adobe decision. They are already working on a localized Photoshop CC7 version (but for some reason instead of Creative Cloud they call it Cracked Code). For a very reasonable cost, you'll be able to buy it instead of renting.

They even added a nice little touch.
When you press CTRL and About Photoshop, the program will display a nice Thomas Kinkade style picture with a bearded motorcyclist in Hawaiian shirt riding into the sunset.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #573 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »

Well we must be having some effect as Adobe stock is down 3% today.  Several more days like this will probably force them to reconsider their decision.  Nothing like the wiping out of equity to grab a CEO's attention.  And it was also revealed that a flaw in their Cold Fusion program caused the state of Washington to lose security over 160,000 social security numbers.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #574 on: May 09, 2013, 06:35:35 pm »

Bart, I do run Windows and I will definitely give both these applications a look.  I will be interested to see how they do with large files.  Thanks again, I really appreciate the heads up!

Hi Rick,

Big files will/may be an issue with the mentioned (blind deconvolution) application/plugin, but a workaround could be that you divide the image in tiles (1000x1000 pixel selections) and process them individually. For simple linear movement, the FocusMagic plugin is available for Windows, and the Intel Mac version is going into beta around this or next month.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »

Well we must be having some effect as Adobe stock is down 3% today.

Hi Alan,

Yes, and it's the fourth day in a row since the Friday closing at $47.02 on an otherwise rather flat NASDAC, a total of some -6.5% since Monday. It could of course just be a normal correction on the increase of last week(s), but maybe it is related, because the volumes are also up.

Cheers,
Bart

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #576 on: May 09, 2013, 07:30:48 pm »

This is the crux of the matter. If they offer this as an option, I and a lot of others will shut up about it. There's greed and then there's greed.

This is in my view the key mistake Adobe made. If they have done as you suggest David many would be quite happy with the new model.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »

Could this whole outrage (which I agree with, btw) be summarized in four points?

1. Loss of a traditional method of ownership (or "ownership")

2. Forced move to the cloud, which many detest for a number or reasons

3. Forced rental/lease without the option to buy after a certain period

4. Effective price increase

Gulag

« Reply #578 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:56 pm »

Could this whole outrage (which I agree with, btw) be summarized in four points?

5. "Greed is good."
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

BrianWJH

« Reply #579 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:46 pm »

+1
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37   Go Up