Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions  (Read 187761 times)

KenKovak

• KenKPhotogpraphy
Re: Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2013, 11:57:09 am »

Early in this thread Jeff Schewe had quoted pricing:

• Special pricing for existing customers
    CS3 and later get Complete for $29.99
    CS6 customers get Complete for $19.99
    CS3 and later get Single App for $9.99
    All offers require annual commitment

I get the following from this Adobe link: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide.html

Single Ap will be 19.99 per month.

So even just PS alone will be $240 per year.

Ken

Ken Kovak
Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »

Wonder how much longer DNG converter will still be offered? Till around the time that Adobe realises just how many people aren't upgrading any more methinks. DNG is dead of course. The Adobe client base has now realised that Adobe is utterly untrustworthy and that they need to be kept well away from any standard which will be considered reliable. Trust, all gone.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »

Wouldn't that be a breach of contract? Having purchased a perpetual license should mean just that, perpetual.
A subscription licence on the other hand will be deactivated pretty quickly after the payments are interrupted. That's not a question but a given.

Ah true enough.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:35 pm »

I can of course only speak for myself, but I only use Photoshop now and then.  Currently I have CS5 (only recently upgraded from CS3), but most of my work is done in Lightroom anyway.  I have also started playing with Elements and I'm sure it would suffice for my type of work.  I am a professional photographer and have no problem with paying for software, or indeed paying a monthly fee for using it.  In fact the software belongs to Adobe anyway and all software in practise need updating regularly - hence I have been happy to pay the upgrade every couple of years or so.  I would happily pay £10 per month (UK) or so, but any more would probably not be justified.  I should think 75% of fellow photographers would be in a similar boat to me too.  It just depends whether Adobe needs photographers like us or not, and in a free market they will soon decide on what price is acceptable.

Jim

jwstl

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »

Early in this thread Jeff Schewe had quoted pricing:

• Special pricing for existing customers
    CS3 and later get Complete for $29.99
    CS6 customers get Complete for $19.99
    CS3 and later get Single App for $9.99
    All offers require annual commitment

I get the following from this Adobe link: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide.html

Single Ap will be 19.99 per month.

So even just PS alone will be $240 per year.

Ken

Click the Join button for Single App and click the dropdown that says Requires Annual Subscription and choose Requires CS3+. The price then drops to 9.99 month.

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2013, 12:10:56 pm »

I am undoubtedly unaware of the complexity involved, but it escapes me why a mixed model (subscription or perpetual license) is not feasible, particularly for PS CS6 license holders who might wish to upgrade for putative feature enhancements. Once you are in the new subscription system, there does not seem to be a way to opt out and still retain the use of the software. You have nothing, whereas paying for a license allows you to make use of the program as long as you might wish to. This is all very regrettable. Brave new world.
Ralph

AFairley

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2013, 12:12:28 pm »

As someone who is now just a hobbyist who likes to use good tools, this news is pretty distressing.  Photoshop is not a just cost of doing business for me.  Although the price was steep, I managed to afford it by managing the skipover upgrade path starting with Photoshop 7.  Dropping the "skipping over" upgrade policy was bad enough, but this latest prices the application totally out of my reach.  I understand Adobe's desire to maximize its profits and that I am probably on the fringe of its user base, but still, I feel ill-used.   The good news is that I now do the heavy lifiting in LR, and pretty much only use PS for masked layers and to run an uprezzing plugin, so I can use CS6 as long as it runs on whatever OS MS is putting out.  

As far as Jeff's "this is what Adobe's going to do, if you don't like it suck it" approach on the topic, I sure would like to see a return in this country to a way of doing buisness that is based on a good product at a fair price and in which customer loyalty is rewarded, instead of the current "gouge what the market will bear" approach.  I guess I am showing my age.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 12:12:53 pm »

I am undoubtedly unaware of the complexity involved, but it escapes me why a mixed model (subscription or perpetual license) is not feasible, particularly for PS CS6 license holders who might wish to upgrade for putative feature enhancements. Once you are in the new subscription system, there does not seem to be a way to opt out and still retain the use of the software. You have nothing, whereas paying for a license allows you to make use of the program as long as you might wish to. This is all very regrettable. Brave new world.

Good point, I can't think of a reason either.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2013, 12:28:48 pm »

Could they have done the same in terms of not activating a non cloud version? I may be wrong but I think Photoshop makes a call about activation on a regular bases, so I assume that IF adobe wanted to inactivate that serial number, they could have done this already.
I'm not sure if it does or not.  I know MS Windows makes an initial call following installation to make sure it is legitimate (a message box pops up) but I don't think there are subsequent calls.  For those of us who purchased on-line directly from Adobe, you have access to all of your products on line.  I just did a new computer build a couple of weeks ago (old machine was too noisy) and it was pretty straight forward downloading LR4 and PS CS6.  I did have to input two sets of serial numbers for each program given that the current versions were upgrades and Adobe wanted proof that I knew the serial numbers of LR3 and PS CS5 as well.  There's no reason for PS to make multiple calls for activation since Adobe already records the installation (and also when you remove the program through the normal Windows manner)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:51 pm »

Now this is really too funny.  I just got an email from Adobe, "Get over a dozen new desktop apps - including new Adobe Photoshop CC - all built to support a more collaborative creative process.  Your files, feedback, fonts, settings, and updates are all in sync.  And with Behance integration, you can post projects right from Photoshop CC and get feedback from other creatives around the world.  It's all coming to Adobe Creative Cloud this June."

I see the real business opportunity here for Jeff given it's going to be more difficult for him to write books in a timely manner; he can now market himself as a Photoshop partner, offering critiques and suggestions since he is just the "creative" Adobe has in mind. ;D

I think we all ought to look at this as opening new horizons rather than bitching at Adobe!!!!

Alan

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:16 pm »

I know MS Windows makes an initial call following installation to make sure it is legitimate (a message box pops up) but I don't think there are subsequent calls.
There can be if you're adding some features and updates. You have to download an authentication application. It will then only allow downloads to authentic copies of Windows.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

Do you mean that, as a professional photographer, it wouldn't be worth more than £10 per month to you to use PS Elements + ACR?

Hi

I mean that as I already have ACR in Lightroom, that paying more than £10 a month for Photoshop would probably not be worthwhile to me.  There are months when I do not even use Photoshop once.  Lightroom is far more necessary to my working life and I consider it very good value for money - even at its older more expensive price before it came down.

Jim

buggz

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »

I have to say, I do NOT like this extortion at all!
I have spent LOTS of monies and time on photoshop!
And now this crap. 
"Oh, to continue, you MUST bid by our will!"
This is greed, pure and simple, no matter what the adobe fanboys say.
I sincerely hope the other companies come up with a real solution.
I also have to say, I will NEVER support any cloud anything from anyone.
I feel a huge let down, if not downright scumbag attack, stabbed in the back.
I stand my statement, this is extortion.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2013, 01:14:44 pm »

Well, chalk up another photographer that is looking to jump off the adobe bandwagon.  I've noticed a deterioration in adobe support and engineering for a while now, and I'm reminded of the old NASA story: started by visionaries, built by engineers and ruined by accountants.  The new model does not work for me for two reasons already mentioned in this thread: doubling my costs and abandoning me when I get off the train.

I primarily use photoshop on a small percentage of my images for masking and compositing.  I sure hope a competiitve product appears before CS6 gets too dated.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Edhopkins

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »

I don't think anyone really objects to the "cloud thing". That is not the new element. The new element which I think people are objecting to is the switch from being a product you buy and have (which eventually does die) to one which you pay a monthly/yearly fee for--like your internet fee or water or gas and electric. (And if you don't pay your fee, you don't get the service.)

There are some cloud features that come with the new CC Photoshop which some may find useful--but they seem to be not what people are concerned with.

I have no idea whether this will result in more frequent and high quality Photoshop enhancements.  Time will tell. I certainly will take my year-in-advance--Photoshop CC at reduced rate and try it out.

One question: after the first year: could one just use it a month or two a year when working intensely and Lightroom was just not enough?  I wonder how easy it will be to turn it on and turn it off.  (Netflix which is a monthly fee is trivial to turn on and off.  I do that often when on a photo shoot.) We shall see.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »

When it comes to future CC versions I guess this answers the question about being forced to upgrade or does it?

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creativ e-cloud.html

Myth #5: I will be forced to always run the latest version of the software

You are not forced to upgrade. You can continue to run which ever versions of the software that you want until YOU are ready to upgrade. This is crucial for workflows that involve working with clients or vendors that may not be on the latest versions of the software. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC????

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:46 pm »

I think that this serves to confirm the wisdom of avoiding proprietary file formats for future proofing archives. 

PSD vs. TIFF . . . hmmmmm, let me decide.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Edhopkins

« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »

I don't understand what you are saying. As far as I know you can keep using CS5 as long as it will run on your machine. (I have old versions of photoshops on my old laptop--they work just fine.)

Did I miss the point you are making?

thanks

ed

Glenn NK

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2013, 01:26:57 pm »

Time will tell whether or not the Adobe move was a good one. At present, the Adobe products are admittedly the best available - there are no serious challengers.

However: The development/improvement of a product inevitably reaches a point where the improvements become marginal for the effort expanded (or the price paid). At this point, the less costly and less effective products still have room to improve, and generally they do - and often to the point where they acquire a significant share of the original product's market. Hyundai and Kia are in this category.

We laughed when Hyundai introduced their low-tech automobiles, and then we laughed at Kia.  Nobody's laughing at them now.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »

I wonder how easy it will be to turn it on and turn it off.  (Netflix which is a monthly fee is trivial to turn on and off.  I do that often when on a photo shoot.) We shall see.
In theory the 'buy it for a month' model might be great for some users, even at the higher rate.
The problem will come with learning it, I doubt there'll be any free trials to get up to speed before tackling a project. Tutorials, book and video producers are going have a tough job keeping up to date if the programs are changing every month or two.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37   Go Up