Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going back to Lightroom after editing in Photoshop  (Read 1606 times)

ymc226

Going back to Lightroom after editing in Photoshop
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »

Intensively learning PS CS6 this weekend after working with LR4 for a year.  When working on files in LR4 and using plugins, the file (TIFF) always reverts back to LR4 so additional editing can be done.  

When I start in LR4 and then edit in PS, after choosing "save as" TIFF, I specify a file on my desktop it is saved to.  I do rename it an all together different name but can't get LR4 to import it so I can do additional edits.  It states "this photo is already in the catalog."

Is there a way to jump from LR to PS and back to LR as I do really prefer the LR interface to work in?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:22:20 pm by ymc226 »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Going back to Lightroom after editing in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

If it has been renamed in the save and LR says it is already in catalog, I suspect either you have used the same name twice or it is in fact already in LR. If you go to that name in LR does it show the edits you made in PS?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ymc226

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »

I used a completely different name "photoshop" that I never used before.  The edits didn't show up as well. I'm not sure if this is normal LR behavior. 

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:51 pm »

I go back and forth all the time. I'm just trying to figure out what you do differently.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:26:42 am »

Hi,

I LR you choose "Edit in Photoshop"

You edit in Photoshop and do save (not save as) and close it.

LR imports the copy automatically.

Best regards
Erik

Intensively learning PS CS6 this weekend after working with LR4 for a year.  When working on files in LR4 and using plugins, the file (TIFF) always reverts back to LR4 so additional editing can be done.  

When I start in LR4 and then edit in PS, after choosing "save as" TIFF, I specify a file on my desktop it is saved to.  I do rename it an all together different name but can't get LR4 to import it so I can do additional edits.  It states "this photo is already in the catalog."

Is there a way to jump from LR to PS and back to LR as I do really prefer the LR interface to work in?
Erik Kaffehr

ymc226

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:12:36 am »

Thanks Kirk,

That did the trick.

Lawrence

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:44 am »

Hi,

I LR you choose "Edit in Photoshop"

You edit in Photoshop and do save (not save as) and close it.

LR imports the copy automatically.

Best regards
Erik

I find that works fine except when stitching panoramas in PS.  Then the size of the final stitched photo has usually become too large for a "Save" directly back to LR (with all the layers), so I have to use the "Save As" command which lets me make a (much-reduced-sized) copy, discard the layers, and then rename it for saving it and "importing" back to LR.     

Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up