Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morning Paper  (Read 2663 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Morning Paper
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:16:08 pm »

I would have thought, given the almost uniformity of the lighting in the Red Arrow Diner, most of the series would convert nicely to B&W. Au contraire, surprisingly only one image really did well:

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

Re: Morning Paper
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

You know what I think? I think it's sensors. I've run out of patience with this business of digital capture conversions: they are beyond human understanding. The usual filmic logic of tonality against tonality seems no longer to be key: it's as though something yet unrealised is playing an unbilled part in the show. And I don't like the way it messes with my head.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

Chris,
To my eye it is one of your finer shots.

W

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:11:09 pm »

I agree, Walter. I am quite proud of it.

Rob...I had to nearly shoot myself to make the break from film to digital and if the silly doctors would have allowed me in the darkroom, I would never have left. Damn those allergies. To stay in photography and to find the center of balance within, I had to really work with every aspect of digital post production techniques to get a B&W tonal range that is acceptably close to what I could get on film. For me, it is what it is.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:29:11 am »

Chris,

W

I think so to. I like the tones very much.

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

francois

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:07:28 am »

Chris,

I agree. What a nice image, everything in it seems in the right place…

Bravo!
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:10 am »

I agree, Walter. I am quite proud of it.

Rob...I had to nearly shoot myself to make the break from film to digital and if the silly doctors would have allowed me in the darkroom, I would never have left. Damn those allergies. To stay in photography and to find the center of balance within, I had to really work with every aspect of digital post production techniques to get a B&W tonal range that is acceptably close to what I could get on film. For me, it is what it is.
I have to had my congrats to the other accolades; a fine shot it is. But as to the film to digital conversion you've experienced, why not think of it as the new normal?
 ;)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:33:10 am »

I have to had my congrats to the other accolades; a fine shot it is. But as to the film to digital conversion you've experienced, why not think of it as the new normal?
 ;)

Even I still struggle with that, but am getting better in its acceptance.

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:37:40 am »

That is quite lovely! Well done.

The only quibble I have is that I am finding the out of focus material on the left side a little.. something. I think it might be a little too bright, and I would probably burn it down a bit. It's jarring because it's out of focus and nothing else is, and it's also pretty big. You want a mass there, I think, but it stands out a bit too much to make me love it.

Bill Marquis

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 08:05:00 am »

Good shot.I have had many early morning meals right were he's sitting  8)

Harald L

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »

Indeed, very well. I like it a much.
Glad to be an amateur

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »

Thanks, everyone. I loved that diner and ate there every morning for a week but could never get there before that guy...maybe he lived there.  ;D

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:58 pm »

Great shot, Chris.  We're (almost?) all making or have made the transition to digital, but there are some things... Give me Kodachrome 25 for a sunset anyday.  Or anything with bright reds/ yellows.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:25 pm »

Great shot, Chris.  We're (almost?) all making or have made the transition to digital, but there are some things... Give me Kodachrome 25 for a sunset anyday.  Or anything with bright reds/ yellows.

Mike.

Nothing, but nothing beats a Kodachrome. I'd trade all my digital gear to be able to shoot chromes again....absolutely luscious colors. I still have one roll sitting in a freezer. Nowhere to process it, but it serves as a nice reminder. Sad, much like the last 6 rolls of 35mm Infrared I have...once they're gone...........arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 01:36:07 pm »

Kodachrome. I owe it my career in calendars. I couldn't have done it so conveniently without it.

Great skin colour, travelled very well and the latent image didn't fall into deep space if you couldn't get it to the Kodak place quickly.

But, there were times when it did go wrong, but as in the song, too few to mention.

FWIW I find that scanned, it makes better b/white conversions than does a straight digital capture on D200 or D700 cameras.

Best film I ever used in 135 format. Never had the chance to try it in 120 because I divested myself of that format just before Kodak introduced Kodachrome to it. Reports from some users say it wasn't as good.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up