Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry mount tissue, mounting boards in 13x19 and 17x22 sizes????  (Read 6305 times)

rwbehan

This seems to be the place to ask this...hope so, anyway.

Does anyone know where dry mount tissue and mounting boards can be found in digital-standard sizes of 13x19 and 17x22?  I've googled all over the bloomin' Internet and can't seem to find them.  The old film-standard sizes of 11x14 and 16x20 are readily available, but not the digital-standard sizes.

TIA

Dick Behan
Lopez Island, WA

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Dry mount tissue, mounting boards in 13x19 and 17x22 sizes????
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »

Archival Methods have mat board in the sizes you note (4 ply minimum for dry mounting).  Don't know about mounting tissue but you probably are best served by purchasing a roll and cutting it since that's an easy job compared to cutting mat board.  If you are doing a lot of mounting getting a decent mat cutter (Logan 450 or better) and large sheets is more economical.  I find cutting mat board to be quite therapeutic.  :-)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »

Finding such materials that will be an exact fit to your print will be difficult, since both media and board will show manufacturing variations.  Skill #1 for mounting prints is the ability to trim boards and media to size, and skill #2 is learning how to hold a cutting knife perfectly vertical.

Unless you want to flush mount, a 13x19 will mount symmetrically on a standard 22x28 mounting board, and a 17x22 print will mount almost symmetrically on a standard 24x30 mounting board.  Which gives you the classic presentation of a print mounted on a larger board without a front matte, the way Ansel Adams liked to do it.  Tack the tissue to the back of print, trim the edges with a sharp knife and a good straight edge, center on board, press.  Of course that's after driving the moisture out of the print and board with pre-presses.  Trimming the print/tissue package prior to mounting is one place where a classic Alvin steel straight edge and a #11 Xacto knife still beats a rotary trimmer.

If you want to flush mount, there are various boards available with pre-applied adhesive or dry mount tissue.  Mount the image with a little slop all around, then trim.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America and beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

I haven't printed my own work at a "standard" size in with either analog or digital processes for years. That said, I learned early on how to cut matts, windows, etc. both with dedicated cutters and a straight edge and razor blade, even bevels. It's a skill that still serves me well.

If you are looking only to flush mount and foamboard will work, get the board with heat-activated (drymount tissue) already coated on the board. In the past two years, especially with my canvas projects, the ease and efficiency of the workflow has been marvelous and as a bonus, there's been no issues with a chad of tissue making its way between the print and the board.

I don't think that there's coated 2, 4, & 8 ply boards, though I could be wrong, but the foamboard is available in many sizes, thicknesses and colors. Costs a little more than uncoated, I think, but well worth it.

Once mounted, you can easily cut it to size and I'll bet if you find a good supplier, they can cut it to your specs for a nominal charge.

For my 4-ply boards, I have the windows custom laser cut to my specs. I'll bet the same company will sell you pre-cut boards to your spec, though it will be more expensive than doing it on your own, but a lot easier, more consistently in size and cut, etc.

That company is framedestinations.com in Texas and they ship quickly once ordered. Used them for 6-8 years now and they make presentation a snap for me.
Larry Angier
ASMP, NAPP, ACT, and many more!

Webmaster, RANGE magazine
Editor emeritus, NorCal Quarterly

web--http://www.angier-fox.photoshelter.com facebook--larry.angier twitter--#larryangier google+LarryAngier

rwbehan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

Thank you, gentlemen, for your fine suggestions.  Lots to learn, and then to work on. 

Best,

RWB

fdi

• http://www.framedestination.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

My company carries foamcore and rag mounting board in those sizes:
http://www.framedestination.com/Mount_Board.html

Our current offering does not include foamboard with heat activated adhesive already applied but we hope to offer that in the next few months.
Mark Rogers
Frame Destination
Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Google+
Pages: [1]   Go Up