Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tel extender for Panasonic 100-300 f4 OIS lens  (Read 6989 times)

Raymond Bleesz

Tel extender for Panasonic 100-300 f4 OIS lens
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

Has anyone used an "tel extender" on this specific Panasonic lens and if so what might be your recommendations et al.

My GH2 is is my travel kit, however, my primary stuff is Nikon & I do have a Nikon EX17 1.7 AFS extender--is there merit in utilitzing this extender--how??? pros & cons

somewhat of a newbie in this matter

Raymond

Telecaster

Re: Tel extender for Panasonic 100-300 f4 OIS lens
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »

Currently there are no teleconverters made specifically for the M43 format. You certainly can use your Nikon 1.7x, with an F-to-M43 adapter, but only with F-mount lenses. I do essentially the same thing with various Nikon, Pentax & Zeiss (Y/C-mount) lenses and their native 2x TCs. Works fine.

I bought a used Nikon 400mm f/3.5 not long ago, mostly for telescope use, along with its 2x TC. On my Olympus OM-D5 that combo gives me some serious reach! A stable tripod/head is an absolute necessity, though.

-Dave-

Raymond Bleesz

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »

A good number of viewers have viewed this question, however, no one is making comment to the original question nor to Telecaster's response.

I'm still curious re: my original question. As was pointed out, there are currently no tele ex for m43 -----is that the case for sure, and is anything in the pipe line??

Raymond

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:02 am »

Raymond, do an internet search.
If what you are seeking exists it should not be hard to find, if it doesn't exist, well...

Tony Jay

BJL

No Tel extender for Panasonic 100-300 f4-5.6 OIS lens
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:05:06 pm »

There are no teleconvertors for mFT yet, and the most likely reason is that are are not yet any mFT lenses that could make much use of them. TC's are only of much interest for use with moderately long telephoto prime lenses or with lengths at or near long end of a telephoto zoom, and with those lenses having minimum f-stop faster than about f/5 at the focal length used. With a slower lens and with TC attached, the lens speed drops to a painfully low f/7 or slower, making focusing hard for one thing, and most (not all) customers for TC's are interested in adequamte focusing speed, for wildlife and such.

AFAIK, there are no native mFT prime lenses long enough for many people to want to use them with TC's, and all  the zooms with significant telephot reach are f/5.6 or slower at the long end. by the way, note my correction in the subject line about the Panasonic 100-300, which is f/5.6 at thr long end, not a constant f/4.

I predict that TC's for mFT will only come with or after the arrival of faster telephoto lens options, like the native mFT 50-200/2.8-3.5 that I dream of.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:10:47 pm by BJL »
Pages: [1]   Go Up