Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered Shooting: DNG & 1:1 Previews  (Read 2588 times)

John Caldwell

Tethered Shooting: DNG & 1:1 Previews
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:51:54 pm »

Is it possible to bring proprietary RAW files, Canon CR2 files for example, in as DNG during tethered shooting? Much like we now do during Import where we Copy as DNG - that's the goal. As a less important issue, can the file generate a 1:1 Preview during a tethered import as some sort of preference? It appears to default to Standard preview size during a tethered import.

I enjoyed a tethered shoot for the first time yesterday, but am disappointed to now require a CR2 to DNG conversion - likely a sign of my inexperience.

Thank you,

John Caldwell

John S C

Re: Tethered Shooting: DNG & 1:1 Previews
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:19:04 am »

John

I am assuming you are using Lightroom to shoot tethered. If so I don't think there is an easy way if any at all to do what you want automatically.
I shoot a lot tethered and tend to  convert to DNG after the session. This saves time as the conversion to DNG would probably double the download time, As far as 1:1 previews are concerned again a time overhead in the download. Plus for me it's only the occasional image I need to view at 1:1 at the time of shooting

John C

Just had a thought. You could increase the size of the thumbnails  from 1440 pixels to 2880 pixels , that may help if you need a higher res thumbnail.  You do this in the catalog preferences options
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:51:53 am by John S C »

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:06:46 am »

Thanks, John. Yes I should have made it clear that LR is what's being used as the tethered capture software.

Regarding your last point, do you take it that the Standard Preview, as defined like you say in Catalog Settings, is the preview that's generated during a tethered import?

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

John S C

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:27 am »

John

As far as I know that is the case. However on a quick test I can't see any real difference between the previews  at the 1440 setting and the 2880 settings on my 27" iMac. However this was a quick and dirty test so a more accurate test may yield different results

All my normal tethered shoots are to a 15" MBP. which I have set to the Develop setting for import.This gives me a reasonable large (ish) image and as I said only drop into 1:1 to check for sharpness should it be in doubt

John C

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:33:22 am »

Yes, John. Makes sense.

Thanks for your interest.

John Caldwell

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:50:16 am »

I should add, not as a means of disagreement with you John, but to just reveal another use for tethered: There are instances in which the only basis for my wanting the tethered Macbook Pro screen is in fact to judge critical sharpness at the time of shooting. So having a 1:1 appear on screen with each shot would have value in those instances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up