Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting up for piezography  (Read 1273 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
setting up for piezography
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

wondering if anyone can share opinions. I already have an ipf8300 and am considering a second printer dedicated to piezography. if you were going to buy a 24" printer today to dedicate to the process, what would you buy? why?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: setting up for piezography
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:36:09 am »

For a 24" printer, I would try to find an Epson 7880 in great condition.  This would allow you to print K7 MPS glossy and matte.

Right now there are *sometimes* difficulties in applying the GO on newer printers only (7890, 7900, 9890, 9900) apparently because of the PW sensor on these printers only can cause difficulties on certain images when applying the GO (applied in a "second" printing).  Changing the orientation of the image seems to help on problematic images in applying the GO.  I've been successful most of the time with some workarounds, but you only need one problematic image that you can't get the GO to work (or takes multiple printings to do) to ruin your day.

I'm using a new 9890 that I purchased specifically to convert to K7 piezography MPS glossy and matte.  Apparently the 7880/9880 printers do not have the PW sensor problem.  

That being said, there is definitely something special about K7 piezography prints, the smooth tones and dimensionality, that mortal inkjet printers like my 9900 can't compete.  It's worth the occasional hand-wringing and headache (with the 9890).  There is no issue with B&W matte printing, only hiccups with applying GO with B&W gloss prints.

If anyone knows other workarounds or how to disable the PW sensor (without disabling the printer!) please let me know....

ken
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:14:58 pm by kdphotography »

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

I agree, a 7880 would be great. My 9880 with Cone inks is the most problem free setup here, ever actually. The OEM setups are far less reliable..
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

Ken Doo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »

Tyler,

Any experience with the difficulties in applying the GO?  Any suggestions here? (other than a dedicated GO printer!)

ken

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »

with an 8 ink printer you don't need a separate GO printer. K7 = seven mono inks, then GO in the eight tank. Look at their packages for any 8 ink model and you'll see. Even my little 1900 for test inks works amazingly well.

Just follow their instructions to the letter.
It's quite simple actually, other than having to be very careful handling large prints for the second pass for GO.

Ken Doo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:10:06 pm »

...I meant any workarounds that you know of for where the GO application is difficult on certain images because of the PW sensor on the 7890, 9890, 7900, or 9900.  The second pass for the GO on these printers only can sometimes be problematic, with the GO stopping mid-print because of the PW sensor specific to these printers only.  GO on other printers such as the 7880 or 9880 is not a problem....

ken

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »

sorry I did not realize to that you were referring.. I lightly slip a white sheet of bond far enough down until the sensor sees it, bend over forward and tape in place.. put my real print in behind and seat it, hit the pause button and away we go.. it may let go of your print at the end though, you have to grab it or let it fall... I'm sure Dana at IJM has her tricks as well, probably better ones...
TYler

sorry just realized again,, referring to my 9880, you are asking about x890.. need more coffee. I'd ask IJM, I'm sure they know, they are using them there for Cone Editions as well as having to recommend workflows for users.
T
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:01:19 pm by TylerB »

Ken Doo

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:55 am »

I'm actually working with Dana on workarounds, but was hoping you could provide a few more.   ;)

ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up