Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Zoom Lense  (Read 4957 times)

michael de kooter

Good Zoom Lense
« on: March 16, 2003, 04:40:06 am »

Cheever,

Unfortunatley there are very few (better said, no) lenses that meet your criteria. A proper wideangle zoomlens is hard to find for anything under 600 dollars, I'm afraid.

I'll sum up the few options you have :

- Sigma 15-30 3.5-4.5 EX Asf. DG : (+- 550 dollars)
A very popular wideangle zoom, which is ruggedly built, has a low price, and goes very, very wide. Distortion can be kept to a minimum by avoiding the far tele and far wide, although perspective distortions can be very charming in extreme wideangle shots.

- Canon EF 20-35/3.5-4.5 USM ΓΈ
Another wideangle, albeit not as extreme as the sigma one.
I cannot speak for it, since I have not used this or tried it before. It's price should be something around 500 dollars.

Well good luck in your choices!

- michael

flash

Good Zoom Lense
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 06:14:36 pm »

Cheever,

Don't touch the Canon 20-35. Poor lens for so much money. For the same $$$ you can get a Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4. For 1/2 the money you should be able to find a Tokina 19-35. Much better lens than the Canon although with louder autofocus.

Gordon

cheever

Good Zoom Lense
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 10:36:08 pm »

Hello!

I was wondering what a good zoom lense would be for my Canon EOS Rebel?  I'm not happy with the lense that came with it anymore and am looking to upgrade to a better one.  I know it is not possible, but I would like one that does 20mm and up for under 400 bucks.  I like to do a lot of landscape photography, but I also have use for a zoom lense to do family portraits.  I would like to keep it at a max of two lenses so throw some ideas out there for me.  The lense I currently have is the Canon 28-80mm EF 3.5-5.6 II it is not the USM.  Is this a good enough lense to use for portraits?  And should I save the 400 and get a good fixed or zoom 20mm lense for my landscape stuff?

Thanks for any help

cheever

Good Zoom Lense
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 03:41:49 pm »

Yeah I should have taken the 400 dollar part out of there after I posted I started to research and found out that I was up in the night about that price.  So should I keep the zoom I have and invest in a good wide angle zoom?  Like the ones you listed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up