Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880  (Read 1516 times)

nikonuser

Epson 3880
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:35:14 am »

My initial question on this Forum was about either the 2880 or 3000 but having read the posts from all those that kindly replied and recommended the 3880 that is now my possible option and would ask for your comments on the following please
Does the 3880 use as much ink when changing from PK to MK ink or visa versa as the 3000 namely 1ml and 3ml.
Does anyone only use the PK ink for all their media types and if so what happens to the MK cart.
I see from another member here that the 3880 has a good history of not clogging which is another feature I am interested in.
So would welcome your views on the 3880 given that it is now 4years old but still a good work horse.
I would only print say once a week, not into exhibition printing and would mainly still print A3 and A3+
Thanks for your help
Dave

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
Re: Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

I would say go for it. If you think about how much ink is used changing from PK to MK ink you'll be wasting your time. After five years, you won't care and it will seem unimportant compared to the prints you can make. It is a fact of inkjet printer life. I've had my 3880 for four years and knock on wood, I've had no clogs or problems.. just great prints.

StuNY

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »

+1 on go for it!
I have been printing with mine for about 3 years now with no clogging problems. The black ink switching does waste some ink, but I don't really worry about it anymore. I will tend to make a run of glossy prints for a while, then later work on matt canvas for a while so don't end up wasting much. The printer is incredible, and I was just looking at some fresh prints last night thinking that it was pretty much perfection. Sometimes I may go a few months without switching from matt to glossy in which case I find it helps to pop the idle cartridge first and give it a gentle shake before switching over.
When you look at the value of the ink that comes with the 3880, and the size and quality of prints it is pretty much a no-brainer decision.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

I've had a very good experience with mine (and the 3800 before that).  I tend to print in spurts, doing a lot with PK for a long period of time, then switching over to MK for another project.  Even when the MK hasn't been used for a long time, it seems to pick up just fine.
Eric Chan

LarsHansen

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »

3880 will waste approx. 4.6 from MK to PK - approx. 1.6 the other way. But with the 3880 ink is "cheaper" :-)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

3880 is my favorite printer so far and it puts the 4900 I have in the same room to shame (I kind of hate it).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nikonuser

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »

Okay,Okay, you have all won me over with the wonderful reviews of the 3880.
I will be ordering one next week.......so hope you don't mind me posting any other user questions I may have.
Thanks again, everyone for your positive comments
Dave

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:21 pm »

>> Does anyone only use the PK ink for all their media types and if so what happens to the MK cart.

Level goes down very, very gradually due to auto-cleaning cycles (and, theoretically at least, clog-clearing cleans). The initial MK cartridge might very well last as long as the printer.

nikonuser

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:43:00 pm »

Do you use this method, Dale, as I would be interested to see if you do frequent MK nozzle checks or fill the MK cartridge with piezo cleaning fluid etc
Thanks
Dave

Iluvmycam

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »

I use an R2000 for gloss or matte color, no BW and the 3880 for BW and some color.

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »

Do you use this method, Dale, as I would be interested to see if you do frequent MK nozzle checks or fill the MK cartridge with piezo cleaning fluid etc
Thanks
Dave

Don't understand your question. Formerly with 3800 and now with 3880 I do virtually all my printing on PK-accepting media. (Also, I never print B&W, if that's relevant.) So my MK cartridge just sits there. The only attention it gets is that I take it out and give it a shake along with all the other cartridges when I have the cover open to change and empty cart and happen to think about it. Perhaps you're wondering if the MK would print properly if switched to, given this extended neglect? Don't know; but expect the periodic auto-cleaning cycles would at least partially address this concern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up