Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: hpz3200 print problem  (Read 6317 times)

netherscurial

hpz3200 print problem
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:11 am »

Hello,

I got injured really bad on my shoulder about a year ago and in my recovery I was not able to keep up with the printer, so I had left it off for a long period of time, so I fired it up awhile back and noticed it was all clogged up. I did some printhead cleanings and order another gloss enhancer cart because it was empty. It installed fine but now printer says the gloss enhancer is faulty. I tried resetting it to no avail.

Anyone know the problem and the best, cheapest way to get this printer back up to snuff? I think some of the printheads are still clogged but can't perform a printhead clean because it says that one is faulty.

I was thinking about ordering some printheads and another gloss enhancer but is there a way to clean the print heads manually?
Thanks!

Kevin

deanwork

Re: hpz3200 print problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:00:55 am »

Go through the head replacement procedure and remove all six heads and clean the bottom of each one.

Also remove and shake all the ink carts.

If it were me I would go ahead and replace all the heads and low ink carts and it should work like new.

But, you should never turn off this printer for longer than a few hours. If you do you are inviting trouble.

John

netherscurial

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:22 am »

Thanks for the reply. I tried hitting the option to clean the printheads but it wont let me do it because it says I need to replace the faulty cartridge first.

Kevin

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »

Just shut it off via the power switch on the back, or pull the plug, when the carriage is anywhere other than parked on the far right. Then you can freely move the carriage and remove the heads and clean them manually. Plenty of threads on this forum about how to do this.

netherscurial

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:29 am »

Ok HP has replaced the E cartridge uner warranty. I got the replacement and installed and it seemed fine for a week or so, but the faulty printhead has come back, I tried reseating again and try cleaning the printhead with isophyl alcohol, some blank ink came off the bottom when I wiped, I reinstalled but still has the same error.

Anyone know what could be causing this faulty error? Should I buy another printhead?

Thanks

netherscurial

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:27:41 am »

Note I ran some printhead cleanings before this faulty error came back up, and printed some test prints....the lines, test part for the E is showing as all one medium gray block with no lines, as compared to the others.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:21 am »

Did HP replace the Gloss Enhancer / Grey head or just a Gloss Enhancer ink cartridge? It looks like your GE/G head has a leak between the two inks compartments and Grey ink flows into the Gloss Enhancer part. A new head will solve that.

In some cases Grey ink could get into the GE side at the maintenance station without the head being broken but to get that right is more difficult than buying a new head. Make sure the maintenance station is clean, there have been threads how to take off the right side cover and clean the maintenance station.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

netherscurial

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:54 am »

I'm going to go ahead and order 6 new printheads from adorama.

I looked more in the manual in the part about the diaginostic image, where you print the print with the lines for each printhead and color.

On my Gloss Enhancer section of the print, I see no lines at all in the gray swatch, so it must be totally clogged somewhere. I did several head cleanings, and the lines still dont come up. Could that cause the faulty error in the ink cart? Could there be a clog in the tubes leading from the cartridge?

I appreciate any help on this.

THanks!

netherscurial

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:43 am »

They just replaced just the ink cartridge....just saw your reply when I was posting.

netherscurial

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:17 am »

I could not find any related searches for cleaning the service station but found this post

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Designjet-Large-Format/Anyone-know-how-to-clean-service-station-z3200/td-p/2362285

Is that how to clean it?

Thank you

netherscurial

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »

Ok I have cleaned the maintenance/service station, it was not too bad, i used q-tops with damp pure water. There was some pools at front under this cavity recessed part.

I ordered new heads and replaced, except 2, I have 2 more still coming. But I replaced the Gloss Enhancer one, and HP sent me a new GE ink cart, because the other one they replaced had the same error with it saying it needed to be replaced. I ran some heading cleanings after I installed the new heads. The matter black was showing alot of broken lines, but it got better with more print tests.

But one thing is after several heading cleanings I still dont see lines in the gloss enhancer part...except for maybe really faint linear glazes. i think it might be clogged somewhere?

Any ideas I can get this printer up and running without an expensive service call? I heard there's a solution you can make to flush the system?

Thanks for any response and help.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »

I think the best you can do once you have replaced ALL the heads is to continue to do MANY head cleanings.  If after many head cleanings it doesn't straighten out it may be distribution tubes, and that would take a skilled technician unless you're very mechanically inclined.

Just keep plugging away patiently.  Do some cleanings, let it sit overnight and do more.  Just keep coaxing it, and you may get lucky.

Hopefully you'll be alright.  BTW, how's the shoulder?  Shoulder injuries can be nasty - I spent a year out of commission with torn ligments in my shoulders - it really sucks....  Hope you're better.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

netherscurial

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 09:32:46 am »

THanks Mark, I will do a few more cleanings. Does it show in that z3100 wiki pdf how to change the distribution tubes? I am somewhat decent in figuring mechanical stuff out.

Shoulder is so so, it's been hell...basically I shattered my ball, broke the top bone in half, dislocated and tore alot of ligaements and tendons....have to get a full shoulder replacement; but that was not the start of it, after the second surgery of the doc removing scar tissue that had built up I developed a hematoma, so he had to go back in there and close it up, blood was gushing outa me :) then about 2 months after that, I developed osteomylites a bone infection, so they had to go back in and remove the metal implant to get rid of infection with strong infusion antibiotics straight to my heart, the infection is gone now but I have to have another 5th surgery to put the metal back in. FUN!

THank you for your support! hopefully I can get this printer back up...is there solution I can make to flush the tubes from the cartridge entrance?

netherscurial

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 09:59:48 am »

Ok ran a couple more printhead cleanings on the GE head, and printed another diagnostic image, I now see one line going across on the second line down and the next line has a line but its really faint so looks like the cleanings are starting to work, I will let it set for awhile and do another cleaning.

netherscurial

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:58 am »

Question what does purge ink do? I see that option under advanced but it doesnt say anything about it under the manual

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:58:54 pm »

Kevin,
Wow, it sounds like you've had a really rough time of it with your shoulder - amazing to have to have 5 surgeries.  Hang in there with that.  VERY important you get that printer running so you can be distracted from the pain and mess you're dealing with.  I know all about it.

So yes, I would recommend you do a purge ink routine.  The old ink that's in the lines needs to be purged and head cleanings are the slow way of doing it.

Run the purge ink routine from the front panel, then continue on with your head cleanings.

Re: directions on how to replace the distribution tubes, man, I do not know where to find it, except to check out a 400 page repair manual.  Keep working on the head cleanings though.  If you're seeing improvement, then you may be getting somewhere.  For goodness sakes, be sure to leave the printer running - don't shut it down!  ( http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00812090 )

Do NOT do anything with the ink tubes as they can't have any air in them or it will kill all your printheads over and over again until you purchase setup printheads and purge the air from the tubes - a tricky procedure.

Good luck with it, I think you'll see marked improvement after a purge ink and several more head cleanings.  If you don't see more improvement after two more cleaning cycles, run another purge ink cycle.  You get the idea.  I don't recommend putting anything in a cartridge such as lighter fluid or alcohol, etc., (remedies you see on the net) - just keep working on the head cleanings, I believe you'll get there eventually.

Good luck with your next surgery and best wishes with the shoulder.

-Mark

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:11:42 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

netherscurial

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:23:57 am »

Thanks Mark for the support.

yes I think its slowly getting better

Per the purge ink in the menu, I see it in the Advanced menu but when I try to select it nothing happens. There's this padlock icon next to it. How do you unlock it?

THanks again!

netherscurial

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 12:01:29 pm »

The manual doesn't say at all how to access it.

Weird

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »

The manual doesn't say at all how to access it.

Weird

Hmmmmmm.  I just checked at the printer and I see the lock as well.  Probably some code accessible by HP technicians possibly in a repair manual.  I believe the Z3100 lets you do it.  I suppose you could try speaking to tech support and try to get someone who knows and is sympathetic to your cause.  Or, alternatively, try to find out who the HP repair guy is in your area and see if there isn't a way to get his number and just ask.  Otherwise, I'm stumped, now.  Just keep cleaning and maybe it will come back.  Best I can do for now.  Good luck with it.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

dunesurfer

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »

Got a manual.I,w check it up tomorrow and come back with what i can find out.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up