Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best book / video in learning landscape photography  (Read 1402 times)

Firefloss

Best book / video in learning landscape photography
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:31 am »

Hi, do you know a great book or video that are worth reading or watching in learning landscape photography? thank you!

Isaac

Re: Best book / video in learning landscape photography
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:53 pm »

National Audubon Society Guide to Landscape Photography

Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and the Great Masters

-- and many others; so if there's a public library nearby I suggest you check what they have, and check if they can bring you books from other libraries (and if that will cost you anything).

rambler44

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »

John Shaw's Landscape Photography

Rob Sheppard, The Magic of Digital Landscape Photography

Firefloss

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:41 am »

thank you for the suggestion. I've read somewhere that John shaw's books are great? any thoughts about this?

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:59 am »

Yes, John Shaw's books are excellent.  There is a wealth of information that is easily transferable to digital.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:45:40 am »

The Rand McNally road atlas. Available in the USA at Walmart for $10

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »

I've read somewhere that John shaw's books are great?

See what you think from what's shown online -- John Shaw's Landscape Photography -- and read his blog.

rambler44

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »

On that link from Issac on the book read Designing a Photograph and Photo-Graphics, pp. 89 - 90

Read carefully the paragraph just above the image on p. 89 that begins, " The starting point ......" 

For further reading!:

http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/photography-books-recommended-by-my-readers/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:37:32 pm by rambler44 »

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:10:01 pm »

I might add, DeLorme topo atlases, which also contain obscure country gravel roads and forest service roads. I use the ginormous State paper atlases, but I gather that there is a Windows compatible computer version of the atlases that lets you print custom topo maps and is a heck of a lot cheaper for people who travel widely than buying individual state's atlases.

Also, let's not forget that once you get to the parking lot, you can get even more detail from the USGS quad maps (free in electronic form) and local trail maps (snap a photo of trailhead map even if a paper copy is available - I have been known to have a map go awol on the trail).

Ultralight Backpacking Tips, Mike Clelland (how to, not necessarily gear-centric)
Hiking and Backpacking, Victoria Logue (another more organized how to...)
National Geographic Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide, Andrew Skurka (general info on materials and construction of gear, more useful than a specific "rate this" guide, because gear models come and go; what do you actually need for a given type of trip)
These are three useful books for novices.

If you live in the USA: The invaluable "60 Hikes within 60 Miles of ......(name of city)" series. There are at least 20 of these guides. The one for St. Louis is excellent. Directions, trail map, short description of trail, including photogenic spots, trail length and difficulty, nearby attractions. Also see "The Best in Tent Camping (...name of state)" series from Menasha Ridge publisher.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:26 pm »

I might add, DeLorme topo atlases, which also contain obscure country gravel roads and forest service roads.

Agreed.  The DeLorme topo atlases are superb documents, Nancy.  Also "Mapster", which provides much of the same data, but with geolocation and all downloadable to your mobile device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up