Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: To leave Hasselblad H4D 50?  (Read 58412 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
To leave Hasselblad H4D 50?
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:21:18 am »

I've developed a degenerative neuromuscular disease.  As such, my days of long hikes down rough trails hauling my Hasselblad H4D 50, 28mm, 50-110mm, HTS, tripod, etc are over.

Just trying to tote the H4D 50 with one lens on it while trying to stroll down a city street is impossible.

No, my photography days are not over - I just have to adjust and work on finding my issue "entertaining" rather than limiting.

That's the given.

The question is what camera do I transition to that is dramatically lighter than the above - in short, even my wife could tote it for me with one or two lenses.

Having been sooo pleased with the images I have been getting from my Hassie, I expect it will be impossible to find anything to equal the files that I'm used to working on, but I'll learn to adjust - I just want what as close to what I've had without all of the weight issues.

Suggestions are appreciated as I've only been using the Hassie series of digitals for many years.  (Did take a quick journey with the Canon 5DMk II several years ago and did not like it!  Afraid the lack of 16 bits and low resolution was the biggest problems for me in my B&W work - lost those smooth gradations in the clouds, etc.)

Thanks

design_freak

Re: To leave Hasselblad H4D 50?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:33 am »

Leica Monochrom is perfect for you ( for B&W )
Best regards,
DF

torger

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:39:46 am »

The question is what camera do I transition to that is dramatically lighter than the above - in short, even my wife could tote it for me with one or two lenses.

How heavy can you carry? Was the 5Dmk2 light enough? If so take a look at the 36 megapixel D800, make sure to lookup which lenses are good (as always with 135 systems, some lenses are good, some not so good). You will unfortunately not find a good replacement for the 50-110 zoom, there is no 35-80mm zoom for the 135 formats which is unfortunate as they could probably be of quite high optical quality (much higher than the typical 24-70 zooms). Of the small formats Canon is still the farthest away from medium format file quality, not as good dynamic range, less accurate color. For color looking at Sony A99 could be it, but it's only at 24 megapixel. When I carry the 135 system my favourite lens is the 70-200/2.8, but that's not exactly light...

Also make sure that you take some time on finding a good post-processing workflow. These small format files with default settings will not come out the same as MF files with default settings. Most think that more work is required with the D800 files, but if you put in the effort good results can be had.

Or, you could look into Leica M, don't know so much about those cameras though but others here do.

You will have to compromise in some way.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:42:00 am by torger »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:51:33 am »

Planning for the future, it's not really how much I can carry but what will my wife will be comfortable with toting for me in the foreseeable future.

Any DSLR would work fine - she would have no problem with that.  Medium format with 2 lenses is just too much to ask of her.

My focus is landscape, but will become scenes from the roadside in the future.

Has anyone contrasted the Leica M9 or Leica S2 with with the Nikon D800-E?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:36:14 am by Lust4Life »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:15 am »

Sorry to hear about your disease, I hope they will be able to keep it as much under control as possible.

I have not used one myself, but I would consider the Fuji X-Pro 1 and its excellent lenses.

The D800 is of course the best option by far from an image quality standpoint, but it still is a pretty bulky camera and so are the lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:58 am »

Sorry to hear about your disease, I hope they will be able to keep it as much under control as possible.

I have not used one myself, but I would consider the Fuji X-Pro 1 and its excellent lenses.

The D800 is of course the best option by far from an image quality standpoint, but it still is a pretty bulky camera and so are the lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

Agree there is really not much in bulk or weight savings from MF to a D800 per say. In your case a lot of folks are shooting the Fuji X1 Pro or Ex-1 which I have and really like to which is very lightweight and compact plus you still get some nice imagery from it. You can look at the Sony Nex cams also but I found the Fuji lenses better. Leica Ms are nice and smaller but they are still pretty heavy. If weight is the biggest issue than look at the Fuji. I carry mine around just because its exactly that light and compact. Also the zoom is really good on it too. I have the Nikons for work but having the Fuji it gives me a chance to carry a cam more often in times I don't want the bulk or weight of the Nikons. Frankly my Nikon kit as a whole is more bulky and weighs more than my DF kit. Obviously I got more Nikon stuff too but its really not much different overall.

Good luck and stay well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:52:06 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

chaosphere

• matias antoniassi photography
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:46:18 am »

Hi Lust, sorry for your disease, what about the Sigma DP'x ? they have very good image quality and are very light. Are you planning to sell your HTS btw ?
Matías Antoniassi
www.matantoniassi.com

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:42 am »

Yes, will be selling HTS, etc in the near future.

FMueller

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:58 am »

I am very sorry to hear of your reduced mobility. I understand your frustration

4 years ago I was in an accident that hurt my mobility, I am now what they call a "walking paraplegic" and while I look pretty normal to most except for a limp, hauling heavy bags or walk over rough ground is not easy.

Post accident, I began using an M9 and a light tripod (I'd been an M film user years ago) and the capabilities of the M digital system are quite remarkable by any measure.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of a Cambo or Alpa TC with a MF back and a couple lenses as a lightweight alternative, but that project is in its nascent stages.

Furthermore, I always remind myself that Ansel Adams and many other noted photographers made some excellent and iconic work only steps away from the trunk of their automobile.

I've developed a degenerative neuromuscular disease.  As such, my days of long hikes down rough trails hauling my Hasselblad H4D 50, 28mm, 50-110mm, HTS, tripod, etc are over.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:43 am »

Amend to the "Trunk Photographer" paradigm - that's what my wife keeps telling me, and this time she is right!  :-)

Ken R

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:10 am »

Amend to the "Trunk Photographer" paradigm - that's what my wife keeps telling me, and this time she is right!  :-)

Hi! Sorry to hear about your condition. Thankfully there are PLENTY of awesome landscape shots to be made just steps from the car. Here are a few that I made literally almost next to my car and only on the Maroon Bells shot did I have to walk a tad (about 150 ft) Also, there are some amazing cameras available nowadays that are small and lightweight. The Leica M is just one of them. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:25:01 am by Ken R »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

Wow - with those images you are proving the concept!
Beautiful shots.  Thanks for sharing!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

Jack,
Sorry to read about your disease.  The tech cams and lenses are quite light, compared to a MFDB and you don't give up anything in quality. I was shown a new M (240) with the optional viewfinder recently and was quite impressed, though I'll bet its not as light weight as something like a sigma dp2.    It's really a turn around to recommend film, but its very light.  I have a Rollei 2.8F TLR and its incredibly light  - no batteries, etc.    I'm always impressed with the images this old camera can make.      
Regards,
Eric Hiss
Rolleiflex USA

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 11:48:50 am »

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D800E at only 2.2# for the body.
I can handle that and a lens while my wife could carry a couple of lenses and my trusty light meter.

Before going to the Hassie 500cm years ago, I always shot Nikon F's - liked their glass!
Actually worked with Nikon many moons ago when their were developing the first digital camera.
Got to do this as a result of my working with a team out of MIT that formed Eiknoics.
At this point I have no interest in getting back into film as I have long ago sold my Howtek 8K drum scanner.

Leica S2 would be nice, but I'm thinking with the weight at 3.1# and their heavy glass I'd not gain much from the Hassie.

Thus Nikon D800E is running out front, assuming their glass is still as good as it was in the past.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:14:30 pm by Lust4Life »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:52 pm »

Yes, I didn't think you would be interested in film with all your tech background, but it does travel light.  I wouldn't be doing much of it myself, were I not involved with the excellent photo center in San Francisco where I can easily process and print. http://harveymilkphotocenter.org/     

The D800 is a great camera... better than the 5d2 you sold me  :D , and I would have suggested it too, but its still pretty heavy.
Rolleiflex USA

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:25 pm »

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D800E at only 2.2# for the body.
I can handle that and a lens while my wife could carry a couple of lenses and my trusty light meter.

Before going to the Hassie 500cm years ago, I always shot Nikon F's - liked their glass!
Actually worked with Nikon many moons ago when their were developing the first digital camera.
Got to do this as a result of my working with a team out of MIT that formed Eiknoics.
At this point I have no interest in getting back into film as I have long ago sold my Howtek 8K drum scanner.

Leica S2 would be nice, but I'm thinking with the weight at 3.1# and their heavy glass I'd not gain much from the Hassie.

Thus Nikon D800E is running out front, assuming their glass is still as good as it was in the past.

It maybe not much diffrent than your Hassy in total system weight. It really will depend on what you can handle though. I would try to get to a store and play around a little and see what fits you and what weight your willing to handle. Now if you did go Nikon you can certainly wind up with a load of primes . I have 5 and a zoom which is not light weight but even the 24-120 stopped down a bit would be a good candidate for you. Again see what works the best in your court. Quality wise the D800/E is the closet you will get to your Hassy. But again though the Nikon is not that much a bulk or weight savings as some would think. Maybe start adding the weights up on the Internet. B&H does list weights in there specs.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:01:52 pm by Guy Mancuso »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »

The Hassie gear I own is:
H4D 50
28mm
80mm
50-110
HTS

Now of that, I must admit to using the 28mm 98% of the time.
Never used the HTS as I find I just stitch with the 28mm.

Hindsight says I've a lot of cash tied up in gear I've never used.
Thus on any DSLR, expect I'd go with a wide and a short tele only - never liked the 50mm.
Thus it should be a whole lot lighter than the Hassie - heck, almost 2 pound just on the body saved.
And have you ever lifted the 50-110?  Could use it to clonk a gorilla over the head with to knock him out!
 ;)

Hassie with 28 & 50-110 weight is approx. 9.52
Nikon D800 with 24 PC-ED and 180mm Ed is approximately 5.41

Near 1/2 weight reduction.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:48:33 pm by Lust4Life »

Ken R

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:58 pm »

Thx!

Depending on your style you won't need much lenses for landscape. The D800e is the best DSLR ever made for landscape and pretty much equals or beats most lower end MFDB's if you use the best glass.

I spent a week in Glacier National Park with just three lenses. The 24mm TSE, 40mm pancake and the 70-200L f4 non-IS. I mostly used the 24 and then the 40. Its a pretty light setup (with the 5D3) and I honestly never felt the need for anything else. The 70-200 was key for this shot however:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:48:25 pm by Ken R »

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »

Nice wides for Nikon are the Zeiss 18mm , Zeiss 25f 2 and Sigma 35 1.4. Zeiss 50 macro is nice. Nikons actually both 85 1.4 and 1.8 are very good. Also the 70-200 F4 is really nice and light

Gandalf

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:20 pm »

I agree with Guy and disagree with Guy. His first post is spot on. If you want to reduce weight, the Fuji XE-1 is an amazing camera and likely my next photographic purchase. Guy's last post is correct too, sort of. You can buy a D800e with a small wide angle lens and an 85/1.8 and have pretty flexible kit that weighs about 6 lb. or so, but realistically that probably isn't what you are going to do. If you go with the Fuji, you can have a few lenses and still be light and portable. Add a couple zooms to the Nikon kit and you are pretty close in weight to the Hassy.

The D800e is a great way to go if you are trying to buy quality on a budget, but since you already have the Hassy, add a kit that will be truly light and portable. If you want to shoot with long lenses, you can't beat a DSLR, but for anything else there are better options. The combination of MF and a small mirrorless camera is tough to beat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up