Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: To leave Hasselblad H4D 50?  (Read 58391 times)

FredBGG

Re: To leave Hasselblad H4D 50?
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:06 pm »

Thanks for the files, they make for a good comparison. The Nikkor does have more aberration but both clean up rather well with the lens profile in ACR. The Zeiss does appear to have a touch more inherent contrast and a touch better detail in the fabric of the sofa, but from what I'm seeing, there is not really an appreciable difference. From what I'm seeing here I would tend to opt for the Nikkor 14-24mm - for my needs - considering the AF advantage. I really thought I would see a notable difference between a prime and a zoom.

At the moment, I am seeing about the same thing comparing a Zeiss 21mm against a Nikkor 14-24mm, however, the Zeiss 21mm has a nasty handlebar moustache distortion (though it mostly is corrected with the lens profile). I am continuing to shoot with those two and comparing them to my 10-year-old AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm 1:2.8D ED, and the 28mm on a Hasselblad H4D-31 for reference.

Thanks again for the files,
Ed

It's remarkable how the 14-24mm zooms holds up against the Zeiss prime despite being both 2.8 lenses.
Similar size and weight, but the zoom is about $ 1,000 less expensive

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:29 am »

Hi,

I really hope that you find a workable solution.

Best regards
Erik

I believe from reading this thread that from a pure technical perspective - the Hassie with 28mm wins.

But as the last post indicates, I have the problem of defining what is priority:
Simply put, the equation is: As weight increases, the ability to walk any distance decreases.

It's that simple.

Three days ago I had trouble walking 20 yards, and that was without carrying a camera.
Other days I can do substantially better, but not near what I used to do - run Marathons
and hike all over the planet with no issue on control of the legs.

A chap must learn to find this change in personal physical limits "entertaining" rather than
devastating.

What this tread has shown me to date is the Nikon D800 can do an acceptable job, while not
what I'm used to in image RAW data, but at a weight that will allow me to continue to gather images in
accessible areas - not distant hikes to waterfalls up steep hills.  Those days are gone even
without a camera.  Thus, I'm thankful that the D800 at 36.2MP and great Dmax is now in
the marketplace!

Like with many progressive neurological diseases, it is a downward slope you are
living on.  Thus I figure it will be a slow progression from the use of a Hassie AND Nikon D800, then gradually taking the Hassie out of the equation and going with D800 and Leica M.  Leica being the final tool
that will allow me continue to capture images.

Thus, at this point in the journey I think I will sell off my 50-110 lens as it is just too heavy, use the Hassie with 28 for very short (close to where the car is parked) scenes and buy a Nikon D800 with a wide angle
and short tele to use for scenes where I need to walk any appreciable distance to shoot it (and which
my wife could carry D800, a wide angle and my RRS carbon tripod with no problem).

I'm also finding it interesting to evaluate the need to move from Landscape photography, which in my experience does require hiking and stamina in your legs, to other areas of interest.  Yes, I'll still pursue landscape scenes as a "trunk photographer", but I think that focusing on
Abstracts, Architecture and possible Portraits will be a transition that I will have to shift my focus.

The transition will be "entertaining" to say the least.

Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2013, 08:25:14 am »

Three days ago I had trouble walking 20 yards, and that was without carrying a camera.
Other days I can do substantially better, but not near what I used to do - run Marathons
and hike all over the planet with no issue on control of the legs.

A chap must learn to find this change in personal physical limits "entertaining" rather than
devastating.

I am sorry to read that, but if this is the state of things, you may simply want to keep your present H4D and 28mm lens and get some help to lug it around.

There have been some well known photographers who concentrated themselves on finding the right place to take the picture from and used an assistant to mount the camera on a tripod and press the release.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2013, 10:06:11 pm »

On Friday, August 11 I received my Nikon D800E, 24mm PC-E and 85mm/1.8 Nikkor lenses.
Today, Sunday, I finally got time to shoot off a couple of frames to study.

First impressions:
1.  Don't care for the Nikon ViewNX2 RAW Converter - getting far better results from CS5.
2.  Quite impressed with the images shot today.  In the next couple of days I'll shoot off some difficult scenes and see what I get.
3.  Totally impressed with the weight reduction of the Nikon with 2 lenses verse the Hassie gear!  This I can handle and not be
completely dependent upon my Camera Sherpa (AKA: Wife) to transport my gear.

In short, first impression is the D800E is a keeper.  Will do more research on lenses that are optimized for Landscape work.
So far, I like the 24mm PC-E.

Suggestions for best RAW converter appreciated.

Jack

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2013, 12:03:25 am »

Great news.

Regarding Capture 1 this thread may be of some interest: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=79952.0

Personally I have both LR5 and C1 and just start to 'warm up' to C1

Regarding optics, there are couple of good sites:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection

Lloyd Chambers has much good info on his sites (those are pay sites):

http://diglloyd.com/index-dap.html
http://diglloyd.com/index-zf.html

Photozone has lot of lens tests:
http://www.photozone.de

Best regards
Erik

On Friday, August 11 I received my Nikon D800E, 24mm PC-E and 85mm/1.8 Nikkor lenses.
Today, Sunday, I finally got time to shoot off a couple of frames to study.

First impressions:
1.  Don't care for the Nikon ViewNX2 RAW Converter - getting far better results from CS5.
2.  Quite impressed with the images shot today.  In the next couple of days I'll shoot off some difficult scenes and see what I get.
3.  Totally impressed with the weight reduction of the Nikon with 2 lenses verse the Hassie gear!  This I can handle and not be
completely dependent upon my Camera Sherpa (AKA: Wife) to transport my gear.

In short, first impression is the D800E is a keeper.  Will do more research on lenses that are optimized for Landscape work.
So far, I like the 24mm PC-E.

Suggestions for best RAW converter appreciated.

Jack
Erik Kaffehr

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2013, 09:36:33 am »

Unless you want to print big, a Nikon d600 with a set of primes is a light weight solution. The DR is shade less than d800 and if you are not averse to manual focus, some primes are quite light in the 250-300g range.
Ajoy Roy, image processing

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2013, 09:43:44 am »

I will print up to 22" wide on my Canon iPF6400, so I'm taking the D800E route.

Really like the camera so far, as mentioned above. But a couple of weeks living with it will be the determining factor.

Jack

Ajoy Roy

« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:57 am »

I will print up to 22" wide on my Canon iPF6400, so I'm taking the D800E route.

Really like the camera so far, as mentioned above. But a couple of weeks living with it will be the determining factor.

Jack
Actually you can print 22" with D600 also. That will save 150g of weight.
Ajoy Roy, image processing

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:22 am »

Hi,

Jack is coming from MF, so he is accustomed to lots of MP and no OLP filter, so I guess he appreciated the 800E. A wise choise of lenses may save some weight. Keep in mind that everything has a weight, camerabags not the least. Need to find the optimal package...

I started shooting MFD recently, a p45+ on a Hasselblad V series camera and I feel the pixels matter, at least on screen.

Best regards
Erik

Actually you can print 22" with D600 also. That will save 150g of weight.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up