Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D now 7K USD  (Read 17384 times)

Lacunapratum

Re: Pentax 645D now 7K USD
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:06 pm »

They are a wash.  Leica has certainly a more complete recent system, but Pentax has a larger overall system.  Leica has a broad range of leaf shutters and Pentax has one lens with optical stabilization, hopefully more in the future.  Looks like most of the Leica lenses are stellar (haven't test any) but the recent Pentax lenses come very close and most of the old ones are very good as well.  And all of it at half the price...

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »

Hello,

I was talking to my local Phase One rep yesterday and he told me that Phase One is developing a completely new camera from the ground up to replace the Mamiya/Phase DF+.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Lacunapratum

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »

... about time...

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:34 pm »

Hello,

I was talking to my local Phase One rep yesterday and he told me that Phase One is developing a completely new camera from the ground up to replace the Mamiya/Phase DF+.

Cheers

Simon

That is good the local P1 rep is aware. It has been public news for at least a year. The most recent delivery expectations are late 2013/early to mid 2014 (that's where I'd place my bet).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

leeonmaui

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:04 am »

Aloha,

There are just too many awesome cameras around now!
I first jumped into digital with the 1ds mark 2 for all its flaws it was a pretty nice camera, and built like a tank, cleaning the sensor was an exercise requiring the direct services of a zen master! and no less than 50 dollars of cleaning supplies! lol
Now most of the higher end digital 35mm bodies are pretty stellar.
Who isn't temped by the D800E?

Loving my Pentax 645D
Really interested to see what the mark 2 version is all about.
Worried that the price will be much higher though.

In regards to AF being perfect, I might have a few words about that.
Great lenses, check mark on that.

I hope they;
work on tracking speed of AF
work on low light AF
Work on the tolerances on the MF confirm, cause that seems hit or miss, and at times down right confusing!
Work on high ISO image quality, its still pretty poor, regardless of what everybody says.
Give an option of building a black screen noise reduction or not-in bulb over 30 seconds.
Work on frame rate and write times, cause its pretty slow, even for landscape work.

lenses;
Tilt and shift lens, that would be Great!
The 25mm is really nice, but $4500 dollars ouuuchhhh!

Given the cost of building out a really deep MF system, nothing else even comes close in regards to price, and who else has 300mm, 400mm (excellent by the way see attached image and cost about $1200 bucks or traded for three prints like I did :-)) and 600mm offerings?

Someone mentioned Leica, you hit the $50,000 mark pretty quick given the cost of the body- at $21000 and lenses costing $6000-$10000 each...

telyt

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 02:15:22 am »

... see attached image...

Rather significant fringing in that photo.

leeonmaui

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 03:38:17 am »

Aloha,

I'll probably chase it out if I publish the piece...

leeonmaui

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 03:40:22 am »

Aloha,

in the jpg, not so much in the print proofs either...

RFPhotography

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04:19 am »

Lee, you can set up your own dark frame reference set then use them in PS to do the same thing as dark frame noise reduction in camera.

tsjanik

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 09:15:39 am »

I don't see the fringing.  I see some funky artifacts at the edges of the peaks and the image has a strong overall magenta cast (on my screen) which causes shadows to have a purple tint.  In my experience with the 400mm FA, it exhibits very little fringing and is easily corrected in ACR.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:43:56 pm by tsjanik »

theguywitha645d

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 12:44:18 pm »

???? Where?

Lacunapratum

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »

Well, I just took delivery of my 90mm macro, even though I tried to resist the temptation for about a year.  You can get them for about $3.K from the Mitsuba store in Japan, depending on the daily exchange rate.  Which compares favorably to the 4.5K B&H charges and $5K at Adorama.  I guess the only caveat is that I'd have to send it back to Japan if something goes wrong with the lens. 

What an awsome lens!  I'd love a 180mm or 200mm version though.   

leeonmaui

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:34 pm »

Aloha,

I know about "black screens"
The problem is that for exposures over 30 seconds the pentax automatically builds one and does an in camera noise reduction, it would be nice if we could turn that off and do our own.

leeonmaui

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »

Dude, post some images from the 90mm!!

hows the DOF?

leeonmaui

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »

The 400mm rocks!

I tend to see lots of artifacts in jpgs that I process for the web, but it doesn't bother me much as my goal is prints. I took delivery of all my proofs yesterday, in the 30 inch proof it's  pretty clean, I'll most likely do a noise reduction on it as there are some issues in the sky, very slight, and hardly noticeable.
I normally don't use a noise reduction unless I really have to, as the gain of smoothness is traded for a very slight overall blurring of detail.

tsjanik

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 04:53:43 pm »

Well, I just took delivery of my 90mm macro, even though I tried to resist the temptation for about a year.  You can get them for about $3.K from the Mitsuba store in Japan, depending on the daily exchange rate.  Which compares favorably to the 4.5K B&H charges and $5K at Adorama.  I guess the only caveat is that I'd have to send it back to Japan if something goes wrong with the lens. 

What an awsome lens!  I'd love a 180mm or 200mm version though.   

That's pretty exciting.  How did you go through the Mitsuba store? I did a search and can't find it.  I have noticed that the 25mm is available in Japan for around $4k.

Be sure to post some shots.

Tom

Lacunapratum

Lacunapratum

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »

I have attached an image shot with the 90mm.  I have had some time to compare it to others (P67 100mm macro, P645 120mm macro, Printing Nikkor 95mm, and Schneider Makro-Symmar 120mm), and I am afraid that while it is an outstanding lens, the other four listed here are also exceptional.  In fact, there is no clear winner in a side by side comparison.  The AF is fairly slow when compared to the 120mm and the bokeh of both 120mm lenses appears to be more pleasing in this particular test.   I should add that I tested all lenses only at f/11, and performance at different apertures may vary.  

Here is the summary of my test - other opinions may differ:  The lens is very well made, the 2.8 aperture is a nice benefit, it's sharp already at 2.8, image stabilizer and autofocus are definetely a plus, and the 90mm focal length may be attractive in some situations.   On the downside, the autofocus is fairly slow and the 90mm focal length gets you very close to the subject, especially in many macro situations.  As I said, these are my experiences.  I am glad I paid $3.5K for it and not $5K.  It is a stellar lens, but so are the others.    At another time I'll check how it holds up against the Schneider 90mm.  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:12:33 pm by Lacunapratum »

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:48 pm »

Could you do some shots with it during magic hour or twilight ? I have the 120mm macro and I find that while the older lenses are sharp, the differences tend to be in other areas such as the rendering of colours under certain circumstances. The images from the older lenses have a bit of a "retro" feel to them compared to the new line of lenses. I'm not sure if this has to do with the new types of coatings but some colours don't render the same. I have both the new 55mm, and the 25mm and they are a lot closer visually than the 120mm, 150mm and the 300mm. I'm very interested in picking up the 90mm but I'm not sure where pentax is heading with their medium format offering at the moment so i'm not eager to invest until I hear something from the company.

On another note, does anyone on this forum close to pentax know why the company is pretty much useless at marketing themselves ? Phase for example makes videos and profiles of some of their more established users in order to give their brand credibility, why not pentax ? I'm sure there are some talented photographers who have had success using pentax gear that could be showcased.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:45 am »

Any news about the 645D II?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up