Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D now 7K USD  (Read 17393 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Pentax 645D now 7K USD
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 11:44:53 am »

On another note, does anyone on this forum close to pentax know why the company is pretty much useless at marketing themselves ? Phase for example makes videos and profiles of some of their more established users in order to give their brand credibility, why not pentax ? I'm sure there are some talented photographers who have had success using pentax gear that could be showcased.

That is interesting. Marketing does not mean anything to me. Put any camera in the hands of a good photographer and you will get good results. The fact that camera companies try to imply it was their gear is disingenuous. I have never bought a camera because of pretty marketing pictures.

TMARK

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »

That is interesting. Marketing does not mean anything to me. Put any camera in the hands of a good photographer and you will get good results. The fact that camera companies try to imply it was their gear is disingenuous. I have never bought a camera because of pretty marketing pictures.

While I agree with you, nothing moves merch like marketing, branding, etc.  Its not a bad thing as long as its true to the product and consumer.

tsjanik

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »

.........On another note, does anyone on this forum close to pentax know why the company is pretty much useless at marketing themselves ? Phase for example makes videos and profiles of some of their more established users in order to give their brand credibility, why not pentax ? I'm sure there are some talented photographers who have had success using pentax gear that could be showcased.

Word-of-mouth is the best advertising and keep in mind who pays for expensive marketing.  
Many ad campaigns backfire as well.  It was years before I forgot my distaste for Canon’s Image is Everything campaign directed at young people (corollary: real substance is not necessary, just look good).

I must admit their advertising is not a strong point, but things may change under Ricoh.  I would much prefer they reopen the repair facility in Colorado to better advertising.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:34:20 pm by tsjanik »

TMARK

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 04:34:45 pm »

Word-of-mouth is the best advertising and keep in mind who pays for expensive marketing. 
Many ad campaigns backfire as well.  It was years before I forgot my distaste for Canon’s Image is Everything campaign directed at young people (corollary: real substance is not necessary, just look good).

That was an illconceived campaign.  Bad strategy.  Its like it wasn't copy tested.

Word of mouth is most effective, but branding, as opposed to marketing, builds a perception in the mind of a potential consumer, who then may buy the product, or at least try it, and if the product is good, then comes word of mouth.  Branding is like an incubator of good will, it snowballs into eventual sales.

tsjanik

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »

True enough, but branding is harder to establish.  I think Pentax is living off the branding they acquired with film cameras, certainly none of us who ordered a 645D 2.5 years ago had been swayed by any ads.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »

But pitching a $7K or $10k camera is very different from a $700 or $1k one. I think a certain level, advertising is just noise. The spec sheet at the back of the brochure is more important than the cover image.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »

It's an incredible deal at $7K.  Pentax is at the verge of having a more complete MFD system, especially with the three new lenses.  I guess at this point many of the others would have launched an aggressive advertising campain.  Perhaps Pentax is waiting for the 645Dii or they want to introduce a couple of new zoom lenses together with the system. 

The Pentax Gallery is a wonderful online way to promote the brand.  The system would get more of a response if there'd be a few more new lenses.  The three lenses I'd like to see are the wide angle zoom, a shift lens, and a fast portrait lens.  A 180mm or 200mm macro would be a dream, but I realize it's an unusual request.  They could learn a few lessons from Leica in terms of marketing as Leica also started with a fairly small system.  Pentax certainly should advertise the possibility to use lenses via adapters in combination with a reasonably priced body, including the P67 lenses, M39 macro lenses, and many others. 

theguywitha645d

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:44 am »

Well, with the Ricoh marketing team, what could go wrong?

Actually, we will have to see what happens with this new partnership. Both Pentax and Ricoh have kind of retreated into the Japanese market over the years. Ricoh with the GR series was a cult brand. Pentax has just been fading. Hopefully, the merger will get them energized. But like Sony with Konica Minolta, it might take a little while to find their direction. Certainly, the 645D system gives them some distinction.

tsjanik

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:01 am »

.............  The three lenses I'd like to see are the wide angle zoom, a shift lens, and a fast portrait lens.  A 180mm or 200mm macro would be a dream, but I realize it's an unusual request.  They could learn a few lessons from Leica in terms of marketing as Leica also started with a fairly small system.  Pentax certainly should advertise the possibility to use lenses via adapters in combination with a reasonably priced body, including the P67 lenses, M39 macro lenses, and many others. 

I agree that the zoom would be nice.  You want a faster lens than the 90mm f2.8?  You could use the Hasselblad f2.2.
As for shift lenses, you can use the 67 45mm or 55mm with an adapter

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_pshift.htm

Lacunapratum

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »

I have several fast portrait lenses for the 645, including a Schneider Goettingen Xenon 12.5cm/f2 and a Leitz Hektor 12.5cm/2.5.  I don't like the short focal length of the Hasselblad.  My dream lens would be a modern autofocus 150mm/2.  I am not sure whether the Pentax bayonet mount would be able to handle it.  But such a lens would get me excited, even though it might be heavy.

I also have the P67 45mm in Zoerk mount, but the mount is not mechanically all that satisfying and the lens only sharpens up at F11.  Which is anyway what you would use most of the time, but it's still one of the weaker ones. 

tsjanik

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »

You might want to try the 67 55mm.  Most regard the 3rd version as one of the best 67 lenses. 

Lacunapratum

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 10:12:02 pm »

I know.  I was hoping for a 45mm.  Having said that, I am pretty happy with the Pentax system, otherwise.  And whatever the Pentax system does not cover, the Rollei Hy6 system does.  55mm Schneider Superangulon Shift, 110mm Planar, 180mm Tele-Xenar. 

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:58 am »

I agree, it does not mean much to me either but it sure does to a lot of other people. If a company can stay financially healthy because a lot of misguided people buy into marketing hype it's good for both the company and the people who have invested in their equipment and actually use it. I want Pentax to do well and I think they should do more for brand awareness.

RFPhotography

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2013, 09:01:43 am »

I agree that the zoom would be nice.  You want a faster lens than the 90mm f2.8?  You could use the Hasselblad f2.2.
As for shift lenses, you can use the 67 45mm or 55mm with an adapter

http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_pshift.htm

But where can you buy the adapter and what does it cost?  None of that information is on the Zork site, which is one of the worst designed sites out there.  It's up there with Hartblei.

tsjanik

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 09:25:30 am »

Try here (no personal experience):

http://usa.zoerk.com/pages/contact_US.htm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up