Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon's ViewNX2 software - any benefits?  (Read 2662 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Nikon's ViewNX2 software - any benefits?
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »

My new D600 came with this software. Is there any reason I might want to use it (as opposed to LightRoom and PS)? I like to keep things simple, and would rather not install it if there is no real advantage.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Nikon's ViewNX2 software - any benefits?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »

It'll make your raw files look just like your jpeg files :~)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:54 pm »

It'll make your raw files look just like your jpeg files :~)

LOL! Thanks, I am happy to feel free to delegate the program CD to my coaster collection.

jrp

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »

Is there any reason I might want to use it (as opposed to LightRoom and PS)?

I prefer the colours generated by View NX / Capture NX to those produced by ACR/Lightroom. So generate TIFFs (using Capture NX, but you can do most of what you need in View NX) that I finish in Photoshop.

stamper

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28:10 am »

I recently re installed it because it has - unlike LR - a focus confirmation indicator. Handy if you think you might have back/front focusing problems and wish to confirm you don't.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:32:54 am »

I prefer the colours generated by View NX / Capture NX to those produced by ACR/Lightroom. So generate TIFFs (using Capture NX, but you can do most of what you need in View NX) that I finish in Photoshop.

This is subjective with respect to colour rendering. Some believe if you have a Nikon camera - I have several - then Nikon "knows best" and that their conversion is superior to other converters. A matter of taste.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:23:09 am »

Some believe if you have a Nikon camera - I have several - then Nikon "knows best" and that their conversion is superior to other converters.

One could argue that Nikon software may be better "at default" and clearly better at matching the in-camera JPEGs, but...if you have half a clue how to use ACR/LR, that argument falls to the wayside really quick. If you like the camera "looks" (what Nikon/Canon thinks your raw should look like), go for it...but it's not "right" nor "technically correct", it's just a match to the camera jpegs...

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:36 pm »

I like VNX2 and its big brother CNX2 because I try to get things right in camera, and opening the NEF to look just like the OOC image is a great time saver for me - especially if I used ADL, which I tend to do often these days.

Last time I looked (about a year ago) CNX2 was also better than the competition at a number of automatic little things under the hood, such as automatic CA and (especially if you own an 'e' or a D7100) moiré correction.

Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up