Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheet Printing Finishing Options  (Read 1503 times)

Justin B

Sheet Printing Finishing Options
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I was curious as to what various ways you all like to finish, display and/or sell your prints on sheet paper like 13x19 and such on canvas, fine art, and photo paper, etc... Do you adhesive mount? Small canvas stretch? Outsource to have stretched? Hinged mount? Some other creative finishing?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Justin
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Re: Sheet Printing Finishing Options
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

Hey Justin,

I mainly print on canvas when I sell my own art or for other artists. I do also print on fine art paper but most people that I'm dealing with are doing canvas. If a customer orders a paper print they typically just want the print. I rarely sell my art on paper prints (almost all canvas) but I will double matte them and put in a black gallery frame. For the canvas I stretch them onto 1 5/8" keyed stretcher bars. I print with my 11880 and am currently using all Hahnemuhle paper and canvas. To protect prints I am using the Hahnemuhle protective products. For a paper print I sign the matte and for a canvas print it's obviously on the canvas. I always sign on the bottom right. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Justin B

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »

Thanks for the input Jason! I appreciate your info  :)
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:01:39 pm »

For 13 x 19, a reasonably newbie-friendly approach is to buy 22 x 28 frames, plus a 22 x 28 matte with a 12.5 x 18.5 cutout.  Gives a big, even, 4.5" matte all the way around the image that will make that little print look a lot bigger.

These guys have those kinds of pre-cut mattes for too much money...

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/westminster-pre-cut-mats-black-22x28-13x19-5-pkg/hinged-exhibition-mats/

You can cut mattes yourself, but if you want to cut mattes buy a decent matte cutter without the name Logan on it.

Amazon overfloweth with 22 x 28 frames.  Learn how to cut glass, buy some hinges, pick up a cheap version of the Fletcher "point gun" and yer good to go!  Oh, if you use that manual point gun enough, you'll have degenerative hand diseases by age 50, no problem.  Get a pneumatic model if you're serious.  Point guns shoot flat nails to hold the matte and glass in the frame.

But personally I print mostly canvas, glue it to Gator, and frame it minus glass or plex or matte.  So easy, so lucrative.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:07:24 pm »

holy cow, $112 for 5 mats with 2ply backer? learn to cut mats asap. wholesale you'll pay $4-6 for a 32x40, spring another 2 bucks and you can get 6ply (worth every penny).

p.s. wholesale is the only way to buy frames if you want to make any $. what I pay $60-80 for is $300 on sale at a frame shop. find your local moulding supplier, pick 3 you like and ask them to chop and assemble (more expensive than doing it yourself but that's a whole PITA art that you don't want equipment for unless you're doing it full time).

Justin B

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys!

But personally I print mostly canvas, glue it to Gator, and frame it minus glass or plex or matte.  So easy, so lucrative.

Bill, thanks for the feedback on the mattes. How do you like to adhere the canvas to the Gatorboard?
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »

miracle muck is the only way to go with canvas to gator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up