Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended film scanner?  (Read 18856 times)

gubaguba

Re: Recommended film scanner?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 07:52:47 am »

Your modern options are kinda limited.  Drum scanners are awesome but I don't know many that were not SCSI connected and their is not a lot of support for those today.  Also if it fails not likely you will find support for it.  Most run on legacy computers.  Imacon worked great for pinhole scans I did both black and white, and chrome 4x5.  Epson I have heard good things about but have no experience.  If your lucky you might find a good deal on a Creo or Fujifilm scanner they are quite large and heavy so difficult to ship.  Again older units so you might have connectivity and software issues.  Don't discount photographing your negatives so quickly.  Essentially that is what a scanner does.  Eastman House recently had a press release about found Capa negatives that they photographed so it is definitely worth investigating if you own a digital camera.

Not sure how many negatives you have to scan you didn't mention.  You could send them out to be scanned and avoid the I need to be master of everything syndrome.  Another option is to see if any photographers in your area have a scanner they would allow you to use.  Most scanners are sitting idle today so its possible you could strike a deal with someone.

whimgrinder

Re: Recommended film scanner?
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 04:24:31 pm »

Thanks to Peter and others who suggested the Epson V750. I did purchase this device and I am impressed with the clarity of the results and the sharp, crisp grain it records. While some would no doubt argue that since I was just working with the admittedly limited technology of the pinhole, I saw no reason to assume that I didn't care about the look and quality of the final scanned work. (A soft image is one thing, but soft grain is unacceptable) I can't imagine that rephotographing a negative with a DSLR would come close to the results I have gotten by scanning with the V750. Thank you, thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up