Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rest in peace V  (Read 15709 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

WalterEG

Re: Rest in peace V
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »

I feel a strong desire to go out and have a wake!  This has even greater impact on me personally than the end of Kodachrome.

The news makes me even happier that less than a month ago I bought yet another Hasselblad.  I bought my first in 1969 and have worked from them ever since.  There is an organic quality to the human interface with a V-series 'Blad that has always allowed me to work - man and camera - as a ingle unified entity.  With not a battery in sight.

Ave atque vale.

Walter

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »

I assume this is end too of the CFV line of backs. We never had the one model with the right features. I also assume that the other digital back makers will take a few steps away from making backs with "V" mounting.

For me it is sad. My only chance left for a "true" MF camera in the digital era is the long survival of the Afi system. For the time being, I'll keep on getting the finest glass I can afford for my EOS dslr's.

Eduardo

ondebanks

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:16:52 pm »

So they discontinue the excellent 503CX, and they introduce the risible Lunar......sigh. :(

Ray

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:03 pm »

So they discontinue the excellent 503CX, and they introduce the risible Lunar......sigh. :(

Ray

+1

and not to mention that they promote the nasty Lunar with imagery of the V-Camera and it's history.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:04 pm »

April 29th, 2013 — a date which will live in infamy!

design_freak

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 04:00:35 am »

Levi Strauss & Co had ceased production of the 501 .... Have not you heard?

Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:09:31 am »

Sad, sad, very sad...
To Kill a nearly 70-year history  >:(  Stupid, really stupid ...
Best regards,
DF

DanielStone

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 04:49:33 am »

Sad, sad, very sad...
To Kill a nearly 70-year history  >:(  Stupid, really stupid ...

Is that like a fan of Model T's saying "Ford never made anything better!" ;)?

Companies have to keep moving forward. Products can become stale/stagnant, even if their storied past is alive and exuberant.
Personally, I get more of a 'tactile' REAL feel when using my 503CW vs my (prior) H2's. I can understand that as a digital platform, the H-series is more akin to that type of work, but the 503CW(or any V-system body) just feels more "genuine"...

Not requiring batteries to operate the camera system is a blessing, the H can never have that capability!

-Dan

torger

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:55:33 am »

So if you want a Hasselblad back for your tech camera, it's H and external power from now on?

MarkL

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:30 am »

Tbh I always prefered the RZ but somehow to me this almost feels like Leica not making rangefinders anymore.

If hassy want to try the luxury brand side of things which they indicated they did, this is a very daft move.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:45:06 am »

Not a limited edition Ferrari one to commemorate  the passing?
I've had few 5xx series in the past. I must admit twenty years ago I thought it was dated but I did like them. I would have another now for fun, the 500 appeals more than the H does to me.
Anyone here bought a new 500 in the last ten years?
Kevin.

BJL

The future of CFV backs for use on the many existing V bodies
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:05:50 am »

I assume this is end too of the CFV line of backs.
Maybe not. My guess is that large part of the market for those backs is people who already owned Hasselblad V series bodies from before the sales decline, and prefer to "digitize" those bodies rather than change systems. If so, the demand for backs usable on existing V bodies might not decline nearly as fast as the demand for new V bodies.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:21:41 am »

Across the world a ton of V bodies are still being purchased. They just aren't being purchased new from Hasselblad.

There have been essentially no improvements or innovations in V bodies for many years so it's hard for Hassy to convince someone to buy new rather than from the large base of well-cared-for 500 bodies on the used market where excellent condition bodies can go for a few hundred dollars.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Medium-Format/system-Hasselblad/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=HH&ccode=2&cc=80190&r=WG&f

It's most surely still a popular and beloved platform. We still sell a good number of Phase One and Leaf backs in Hassy V mounts. Especially since they can rotate to either vertical or horizontal (including the Leaf models that have internal rotation) and have their own battery power. But I cannot remember the last time one of those purchases was to someone who had recently purchased their body new.

amsp

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:07 am »

I bought an unused 501cm about a year and a half ago, probably the most tactile and wonderfully designed camera I've ever used. It just oozes quality, right up there with Leica. Even if Hasselblad hardly sold any in the last couple of years I still think it's a mistake to retire it, if nothing else from a branding standpoint.

TMARK

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 01:05:13 pm »

I thought they had already ceased production.  There are so many V cameras and lenses floating around out there, and they are so well made and repairable, that H's decision to officially shut down production doesn't mean much.  I've had three V Blads and numerous lenses, none of which were purchased new. 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:25 pm »

Ray,

I don't see your point. The Lunar is made with the finest snake oil...

Best regards
Erik

Ray
Erik Kaffehr

BJL

end of production vs end of stock, a common story
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 04:54:03 pm »

I thought they had already ceased production.
That is what I have heard: manufacturing of at least some components (likely done in batches, not continuously) ended some time ago, with some of the staff involve in that manufacturing no longer with the company, and this announcement reflects something like the shipping of the last stock to distributers, or the final assembly of the last body from components in stock from earlier batch runs.

You keep seeing forum arguments about this, when a products starts appearing as discontinued in some countries but is still current in others, because "discontinued" often means the end of stock in a particular country, often a significant time after actual manufacturing was discontinued.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »

I agree with T-Mark.
There is so much second hand stock available and look what happened to the Contax 645 after it was discontinued?
It went up in price,for a while anyway.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:06 pm »

I bought a new 501CM three years ago, a (used) Phase One P30 two years ago...couldn't be happier with the setup.
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up