Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alain Briot's approach  (Read 1984 times)

Riccardo

Alain Briot's approach
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:15:29 am »

“To have an image created by us we need to alter the image created by the camera.”...”Artistic license is the freedom to represent things as you see them, not as they appear to others.” (A. Briot) http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/briots-view/vision_part_2_about_fine_art_photography.shtml

I've applied Alain Briot's tips  to a photograph that I shoot of an owl in my garden and this is the result.
Many people have enjoyed the work, but no one believes that it is a photograph.
Might as well learn how to draw !  ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Alain Briot's approach
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:27:40 am »

How much for a framed 12"x12" copy on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta?

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:12 am »

Astronomers will be interested in the phenomenon of sun shining from above horizon at night, judging from the crescent moon...

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:57:29 am »

Unless it's a lesser-spotted Australian bat-owl - they hang upside down, so it could just be the photo needs to be rotated

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:10 am »

“To have an image created by us we need to alter the image created by the camera.”

I like Alain's work, but sometimes Alain misses the point. "Nature" doesn't create photographic images. People create photographic images. What you select and record when you trip that shutter is just as much an image you created as is a painting. The idea that you need to modify a picture in Photoshop in order to "create" an image misses the point entirely.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Riccardo

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:03:24 am »

How much for a framed 12"x12" copy on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta?

Sorry, but for my prints I use Harman Gloss Baryta.

Riccardo

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:20 am »

Astronomers will be interested in the phenomenon of sun shining from above horizon at night, judging from the crescent moon...

Unless it's a lesser-spotted Australian bat-owl - they hang upside down, so it could just be the photo needs to be rotated

None of this.
I've only used “lasso tool”> Ctrl+j > Edit > rotate > -60°, just to match my personal vision.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35:06 am »

I've only used “lasso tool”> Ctrl+j > Edit > rotate > -60°, just to match my personal vision.

Genius. A masterpiece of visualisation.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:26 am »

Genius. A masterpiece of visualisation.
+5.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:11:03 pm »

"Nature" doesn't create photographic images. People create photographic images. What you select and record when you trip that shutter is just as much an image you created as is a painting.

Evidently, some are of the opinion that there is a difference between record and create. (I seem to recall that this is a Rob C theme.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:05:41 pm by Isaac »

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:48:23 pm »

Evidently, some are of the opinion that there is a difference between record and create. (I seem to recall that this is a Rob C theme.)

Indeed it is, Isaac, and one upon which I have learned to remain mute!

However, having spent an afternoon recently playing around with my dslr and looking for ideas that could be expressed as squares, à la Hasselblad, I realised more than ever just how beholden one is to what's there. The best one (I) could do was to gaze at the world and hope something small and tight enough presented itself. I don't see the square as much good for the typical landscape shot: it needs things that give the feeling of enclosure in a box. I felt nothing remotely creative about that search - just editing of what's under the nose.

Via a site I've forgotten, I came across a series of images made with a Leica M of some sort using a 3.5 or 3.8/21mm Leica lens. The quality of those pictures was quite remarkable: so clean, colourful, crisp and devoid of apparent over-sharpening. I've never seen jpegs like that before.

Oh to be rich. (And creative.)

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:33:35 pm by Rob C »

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 01:13:12 pm »

Indeed it is, Isaac, and one upon which I have learned to remain mute!

And one upon which others remain deaf -- I've definitely seen this before :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up