Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images printing too warm in spite of color management - color space problem?  (Read 10217 times)

Tim Lookingbill

Yes, I had both "simulate paper color" and "simulate black ink" checked.

I noticed that "simulate paper color" makes images looks cooler - more than the original edit. With that checked off I could adjust for the warming of the paper.

I'd like to put this out to everybody: do you check or not check "simulate paper color"?

Could you take a photo of this print and post along side the original to let us know what you mean by greens turning warm.

Some greens can be out of gamut to the point they are not recoverable even through softproofing edits. We need to see if it's a gamut issue. Below is the original file on the left a picture of the print on the right off my Epson "All In One" just using Printer Manages Color. I get the same warm greens sending sRGB to my local Noritsu minilab.

The print on the right is lit under (2) 5000K 18" T8 flotubes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Is there a color corrected bulb that works with a regular desk lamp? (So far I only found halogen bulbs) I'll check for one when I go to Samy's today.

Yes - Solux lamps from Tailored Lighting in Rochester, NY. You can order from their website.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

I'd like to put this out to everybody: do you check or not check "simulate paper color"?

I do check "Simulate paper Color". I use Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper for most of my work and with this setting colour management is reliable and predictable.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ernst Dinkla

I'm not sure. In any case UV cut filters introduce other issues since we rarely view images under UV cut conditions ;-)

My preference is to use OBA free papers and measure with a spectrometer that does measure into UV. Delivers the least problems in color management when lighting is unknown. But I compromise in practice too, some OBA in papers and the convenient HP Z's spectrometer is UV-cut.

You are right about the contradiction of using UV-cut profiles and possible UV content in display lighting. But check the usual advice here when the question is raised what spectrometer to buy, UV-cut or not, the UV-cut gets the most votes. With the new X-Rite i1 that question can be avoided. In practice UV light varies considerably and we do not deal with it in a logical way either. Framing an OBA paper behind UV blocking glass is a simple example.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

tho_mas

Ernst,

makes sense!

However, "The View" uses papers containing OBAs and the Hahnemühle profile is made without UV cut filter (I don't know the Ilford). So with this paper in conjunction with the profile Hahnemühle provides using "paper simulation" is a safe path to frustration (we all know the blue tint when softproofing with paper simulation is caused by measurement errors .. therefore paper simulation simply can not work as supposed to).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up