Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on Canvas with Epson 2200  (Read 4797 times)

tsapiano

• Pixagent
Printing on Canvas with Epson 2200
« on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »

Does anyone have experience using Epson's Exhibition Canvas papers on the Stylus Photo 2200?  I've seen some impressive prints on this media using the newer printers, but as the 2200 is an older model the drivers don't have a setting for canvas stocks nor does Epson have canned ICC profiles for them.  Naturally, I'll likely have to get a custom profile made up but I wanted to know if (a) this printer even works with this media (thickness, drying time, ink absorption, etc.) and (b) if so what settings people are using in the driver?  They appear to have 13" rolls for pretty reasonable prices so it shouldn't be too difficult to give it a try, but if at all possible I'd like to avoid wasting material doing tests on stuff others have already figured out.  Unfortunately, searches haven't shown up a lot of actionable information on this particular combination and Epson support isn't much help either.

Additionally, I'm guessing that the rolls have the larger cores (ie won't fit on the 2200's roll feeder) as Epson's site only lists these papers for the larger printers?  It's not a huge deal as it's easy enough to just manually cut sheets as necessary but it would be a nice bonus if the printer's feeder/cutter system could work with it.  If using cut sheets, I'm assuming that it's likely best to feed them through the straight through paper path at the bottom (and probably raise the paper thickness lever to the thick position)?

Either way, I appreciate any help that you guys can provide!  The new units are certainly tempting, but this old thing has served me well since I bought it (2002) so I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it.  Just starting to get a little annoying with Epson releasing interesting new papers and not providing driver updates/profiles to explicitly support them :(

Randy Carone

Re: Printing on Canvas with Epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:49 pm »

The Epson 2200 isn't really engineered for media heavier than ~250gsm. The canvas you reference is 395gsm, which will put quite a strain on the roller system. Maybe there is a thinner canvas out there that you can test and you may get better results. I had a 2200 before getting a 3800, which is an amazing printer. Matte paper yielded good prints on the 2200, but I had a hard time getting satisfactory prints with no bronzing on gloss media. Let us know how things progress with the canvas.
Randy Carone

tsapiano

• Pixagent
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:30 pm »

The Epson 2200 isn't really engineered for media heavier than ~250gsm. The canvas you reference is 395gsm, which will put quite a strain on the roller system. Maybe there is a thinner canvas out there that you can test and you may get better results. I had a 2200 before getting a 3800, which is an amazing printer. Matte paper yielded good prints on the 2200, but I had a hard time getting satisfactory prints with no bronzing on gloss media. Let us know how things progress with the canvas.

Thanks, I didn't realize that - the paper fit comfortably within the maximum thickness rating of the printer, but I didn't notice the limits on paper weight in the specs.  I'll do some digging on lighter weight canvas media, any suggestions?

As for the bigger printers, I have been tempted by the rebates on the 3880 recently (less than what I paid for the 2200 originally) but tasks like this are uncommon enough that it's probably cheaper to just get it printed commercially.  I'd prefer to have the control of doing it myself, but right now it's not really enough of a need to buy a new printer.  That might change if I like the results of this enough, but I've got to do some experimentation first.

Jim Bradshaw

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »

I routinely print canvas with the 2200. I use Premier's Generations Satin Canvas, always cut sheets. (I have an HP Z3100; I cut the sheets from a 24" roll.) I see that that canvas is 350g, but I've never had a problem with the straight-through paper path.

This is the 2200 ICC profile page: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&noteoid=85993&type=highlights
I use the the profile for Premier's canvas; strange that Epson doesn't have a profile for their own canvas media.

I've had my 2200 since 2002, and it's still going strong. I use it every day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up