Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Rice Paper  (Read 8941 times)

deanwork

Hahnemuhle Rice Paper
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:42:49 pm »

Awhile back Hahnemuhle sent me a sample roll of their new "rice paper".

Does anyone know what this stuff really is? It looks more like some generic alpha matte paper than any Asian made paper I've ever used.

But, it may be appropriate for a book project someone is asking about, in that you can wrap and fold the paper around a 3D element in the book.

Unfortunately their rep doesn't seem to help here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyW25YUnmdY

john

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Hahnemuhle Rice Paper
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:42:13 pm »

It's pretty a pretty thin and light media.  I think your description is right on target. Good for printing sumi-e type artwork.  I picked some up on a whim and really haven't used it much. It's certainly not as exotic as it sounds.  100% alpha cellulose matte paper.  100 gsm.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:38:51 pm »

I was always suspect of Asian paper made by Germans ( though I do love some of their fiber gloss offerings.)

Anyway if you want the real thing here it is - http://store.hiromipaper.com/

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:38 am »

Awagami has some thinner papers, 63-55gsm that may be more suitable for wrapping (Moab sells some of the Awagami papers). Rice paper like HM sells must have its origin in China, I do not think there is any reason to produce that in Germany, China has coating facilities too.

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/distrilinks.htm

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:31:32 am »

.... Rice paper like HM sells must have its origin in China, I do not think there is any reason to produce that in Germany, China has coating facilities too. ....

Like John said, it is more of a generic, albeit thin, alpha cellulose matte paper.  I don't think there is anything particularly "asian" about this rice paper from Hahn.  There's no *ahem* asian mystique.  I guess it's sorta like Hahn saying we don't have to go to China to get Chinese food...We've got a Chinese restaurant right here----in Germany.   ;D

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:41:56 am »

Like John said, it is more of a generic, albeit thin, alpha cellulose matte paper.  I don't think there is anything particularly "asian" about this rice paper from Hahn.  There's no *ahem* asian mystique.  I guess it's sorta like Hahn saying we don't have to go to China to get Chinese food...We've got a Chinese restaurant right here----in Germany.   ;D

There used to be a Hahnemühle Japon paper for inkjet printing, the same paper was sold by other companies much cheaper as No-Branda in The Netherlands: it was actually a Fire Retardent paper for posters, similar construction as Tyvek. So I am aware that what is called Rice Paper does not have to be Rice Paper. All very true. I have the sample here, it has no Asian flavor. It is a papier vergé - laid paper. That does not imply they make it in Germany. A sample book of Japanse papers that I have contains similar laid paper qualities starting from 35gsm called Kawasa, 70gsm called Hosho, 120gsm called Kaji. Rougher but an inkjet coating usually flattens the texture, the Awagami qualities show that too. True rice paper is often below 40gsm. Anybody in this trade knows papers like that are produced all over Asia; China, Nepal, Tibet, India, etc and sold abroad as "Japanese" if possible. That is why I wrote China as the generic place of production, not to give an Asian or Rice appeal. Most likely much cheaper to produce it there than here in Europe. That Chinese restaurant in Germany buys Chinese products where possible, for the same reason.

Edit; to contradict myself, Hahnemühle has a cotton paper (Echt Bütten) in its non-inkjet art paper catalog, category Specialty Papers, a 75gsm  Programmpapier (code 105724). The vergé pattern of the Programm fits that of the "Rice Paper" but the mesh wire is less visible in the last. Add the inkjet coating and the weight could be close, Color is very similar. Both are in my SpectrumViz list, the Programm paper however measured several layers thick to show the paper white reflection of an unsized, uncoated cotton paper. The "Rice Paper" could be an HM product but it is described as 100 Alpha Cellulose.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:38:23 am by Ernst Dinkla »

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:38:20 am »

I didn't mean it was made in Germany, just obviously developed and marketed by a non-asian company. Everyone knows the great Washi papers are Japanese. The difference however is that Hahnemuhle did apply an inkjet receptor coating to theirs. However, it isn't a "rice paper". ( I think they quit making paper from rice about 1,000 years ago when they switched to mulberry and other tree fibers :-) . I just call authentic sheets Kozo or Gampi or whatever it is made from. There is a lot to choose from each with their own unique colors and textures.

In Hahnemuhle's favor their stuff does hold a black density and resolution better than most Kozo papers BUT it still looks like a regular thin alpha paper, so there is nothing  exotic about it. It almost looks like high quality bond typing paper to me.

j

Simmons

• Fine Art Printed
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 05:39:52 am »

i was wondering that too. It's called Rice Paper but it's alpha cellulose.. the suspect came from the bamboo paper which is made from bamboo fiber. So if this was made by rice why don't tell?
Seems a little strange to me advertise it as rice paper.. I think i will write an explanation in the description on my site just to be clear.

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 09:36:19 am »

Asian Art papers haven’t been made of rice stalks for hundreds of years, maybe longer. It is a term that has persisted though. My wife’s father was a well known Chinese artist working in Shanghai and New York, he was a master brush painter and even he called these papers rice papers.

What he and most of us use is Mulberry, or sometimes a blend of mulberry and cotton, or mulberry and hemp.
These papers are generally made in Japan and called kozo. If they don’t have any mulberry content, they aren’t Kozo.

I was sent a sample of the Hahnemuhle “rice paper” when it first came out, and it looks more like a thin cotton media to me. It could be useful if one likes a tissue paper for some specialized purposes. The only thing that looks Asian to me is the linear pattern  embedded in it that sometimes occurs on kozo media pressed in a mound,but that paper content doesn’t look Asian.

If you want to test what’s available for inkjet, search Awagami on the Freestyle website and and buy their sample pack of 8.5x11 sheets. I use the Awagami Kozo Thick or Kozo thin. The Bizan is beautiful and very expensive. The 44” roll of Kozo Thick I have now costs something like $460.00 !  The Bizan a lot more.

It is a tragedy that Epson cancelled what was by far the best Kozo for inkjet purposes in regard to gamut,dmax, and resolution. It was an incredible media and Epson never even had the sense to offer it in North America before removing it from their catalogue. I had hoped Canson or someone would have picked it up. But no such luck.

John

i was wondering that too. It's called Rice Paper but it's alpha cellulose.. the suspect came from the bamboo paper which is made from bamboo fiber. So if this was made by rice why don't tell?
Seems a little strange to me advertise it as rice paper.. I think i will write an explanation in the description on my site just to be clear.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 11:10:20 pm »

As I'm a Taiwanese, I can share something about rice paper. Rice paper is a common name of Chinese paper. Some countries made similar type of paper, e.g. Washi (和紙) in Japan. Rice paper was called "宣紙" in Chinese.

Chinese papers were made by hemp, mulberry, bamboo, or rice straw. "宣紙" first be recorded at Tang dynasty, A.D. 618 ~ 907. The name was from a town called "宣城", means papers made at 宣城. Traditionally, papers made at 宣城 mainly use mulberry bark and rice straw, that's why it be called "rice paper".

Now days, rice paper can be made from many kinds of fibers, even wood pulp. But in serious definition, for ink wash painters and chinese calligraphy, a real rice paper must use barks fiber. Only Moraceae, Ulmaceae and Thymelaeaceae shrubs contain enough cellulose for paper making. Proportion of barks fiber is 40% ~ 80%, others could be wood pulp, cotton or traditionally rice straw and bamboo.

Papers without barks fiber will not be called "宣紙" but "棉紙" in Chinese. The word "棉紙" is cotton paper if you translate directly. But it doesn't mean paper made by cotton. It means the feathery paper edge looks like cotton when tearing the paper.

According to that, Hahnemuhle Rice Paper is actually a Chinese cotton paper, not a real rice paper. Awagami papers are much like rice paper in materials, using mulberry and hemp. Mitsubishi's Pictorico Kenaf is another paper using traditional oriental fibers.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr
Pages: [1]   Go Up