Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting materials and inkjet papers  (Read 1693 times)

TylerB

• my photography
mounting materials and inkjet papers
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:57:27 pm »

I'd like to hear from anyone using the following mounting adhesives with Hahnemuhle or Canson fine art matte papers. If you are familiar with the coatings/yellowing problem with exposure to some outgassing adhesive, and have experience using Fusion 4000, 3M PMA 568, and/or Jade 403, please let me know if your experiences have been problem free or otherwise.. thanks! We're trying to come to some conclusions that will help everyone move forward.
Tyler

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: mounting materials and inkjet papers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »

Fusion 4000 is dry mount tissue made up entirely of the adhesive, no paper substrate.  Works great, I used to use it on canvas. Mainly designed for mounting rough surfaced media like canvas, if you put down a couple layers it gets up into the valleys of the texture better than substrate style tissue..  You can even pile up two or three thickness in irregular patterns and it will flow enough during the press cycle that you won't get visible bumps.  I still use it to pre-mount art paper onto Gator for my wife's artwork.  Be sure to use all the proper drymount techniques like pre-pressing the art and backing to remove moisture.

Just "no" to PMA anything.  Very short lifespan.  Trouble on the near horizon.  Short term exhibit use only.

Have not used Jade 403.

Other more or less archival possibilities are Lascaux 360, and LaminAll glue.  Have used both, the prints are still down after many years.  But just plain ol' $20/gallon Miracle Muck is as good.  Those are all PVA or acrylic glues and I have PVA glued examples applied in the 70's that are still well attached and showing no signs of damage from the glue itself.  And in fact, those examples are mounted on very non-archival Masonite.  So perhaps glue has some barrier value.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »

this is a problem very specific to coated inkjet papers, usually the better fine art matte papers. Have seen it with PhotoRag, William Turner, German Etching, some of the older coated Somersets, some Epson papers, and now some Canson coated fine art matte papers. It's not the usual archival issues, it's new to these coatings. So long lasting photographs using particular materials may still be problems with this. Conjecture is that some form of invisible sulfur used in the better coatings is reacting to certain chemicals normally not considered a problem.
Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated..

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »

What are you seeing with those papers, and over what timescale?

By far, the main chemical threats to print surfaces come from human respiration products, and from aerosols from cooking and cleaning, or from chemical emissions in the building or even the general locale.  Even compost heaps, garbage pails, and stagnant water can put nasty stuff into the air, including sulfides.

If you attach with glue, the majority of any reactions that are going to occur will happen within the first few hours or days, while there is still liquid solvent available to move molecules around.  Dried PVA is not a good host for chemical reactions, and the products of any reactions that occurred during the initial liquid phase will likely block further reactions.  No transport, no reactions.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:22:23 pm »

I use Fusion 4000 and have not seen issues with VFA, Canson Baryta and a service I use prints on Reeves BFK if I an not mistaken.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:59:52 am »

I use ragmount by Bienfang on Canson platine and Byarta.  Also on Epson exhibition fiber.  No problems with yellowing.  PMA I echo Bill's comments. 

I have used fusion on the past with no problems but prefer the more substantial mount I get from ragmount.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up