Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800/D800e color profile?  (Read 10366 times)

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
D800/D800e color profile?
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »

Hi all,

Has anyone seen or generated a different D800/D800e color profile for Capture One V7? I'm seeing a bit of a red deficiency in the generic profile that's supplied with the software.

Thanks!

*steve
semillerimages.com

G*

Re: D800/D800e color profile?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:07:18 am »

I am currently trying to create profiles for D800E with several lenses and for several daylight scenarios. Will try to keep you posted, but have very little time to procede with my venture …

Slurm

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »

G, out of curiosity- how do you go about creating profiles?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »

Hi all,

Has anyone seen or generated a different D800/D800e color profile for Capture One V7? I'm seeing a bit of a red deficiency in the generic profile that's supplied with the software.

Hi Steve,

You can create your personal adjusted version of the default profile, and save it for future use. In the "Color Editor" tab you can select "Save as ICC profile..." from the tab's top right-hand side fly-out menu, and re-use that profile as your new default.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

G*

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 03:51:17 am »

Well, first I tried to solve my color issues with the Capture One color editor. Of course that would have been the easiest solution, but I came to the conclusion that a) the color editor relies only on visual response (you pick a color from your image and correct this color with a larger or smaller part of its environment until you like what you see on your display), b) working by numbers is nearly impossible (e.g. making the Color Checker 24 patches on a photo match their "should be numbers"), c) you can’t pick colors that are rather close to each other and correct them independently (e.g. Color Checker 24 patches). I felt that this just does not work for me. I also had a support case with Phase One about this issue, but after a while we came to the conclusion that only a custom ICC profile would do. Then I made some experiments with taking pictures of Color Checker 24 and IT8 charts and making profiles with the help of RPP, Raw Therapee and Argyll CMS. Long story short: I don’t have a well enough controlled environment to make decent shots of the targets and setting up the workflow computation-wise is a full time job and full of pitfalls. I have more or less given up on this for the moment, although through my experiments I could see that this path definitely leads in the right direction. The colors that were off before had greatly improved, but I could not get rid of banding areas and did not feel comfortable enough with the profiles to base my entire workflow on them. Now I am trying another thing: I copy the ICC profiles that Capture NX2 produces during development over to Capture One and work on that basis. I am not yet sure if this will do the job, but it sure looks better than before …

Slurm

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:07:54 am »

Interesting G - thanks for explaining. I'm also interested in creating colour profiles, but in the same boat as you. It's a little bit frustrating, but I kinda like the subtle complexity of it - bit of a challenge, and it's an area you can potentially make some gains over the norm, with some effort  :P

DJI_2000

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:14:24 am »

I just use Capture one in couple day, and try to find profile from many website , but not found.
a
I try to make styles attach file as below.

Picture control = Portrait contrast -1  ==> 0_PT_Portrait contrast-1
Picture control = Standard ==> 1_Standard
Picture control = VIVID  ==> 1_VIVID V2

you can import from STYLES&PRESET
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:04:19 am by DJI_2000 »

christophorosp

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:40:36 am »

Hi G*, excuse my n00b question but how about do you go and copy the ICC profile from NX2 to C1?
I have the exact same problem and i would like to use the NX2 colour profile since i think it produces more pleasing skin tones.

G*

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:39 am »

Colors are quite fine when you use the NX2 profile in CO, but the luminance needs adjustments. After some sessions of trial and error I have decided not to follow that path. Profiles for/of different raw developers are not really compatible, that’s my conclusion. The workflows below the surfaces are too different. With my D800E I have now settled with a workflow including RPP raw developer and Photoshop. I only return to CO for high-ISO images where I think the image benefits more from a good noise reduction than from flowpoint color accuracy.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »

Colors are quite fine when you use the NX2 profile in CO, but the luminance needs adjustments.

Is that with a "Film curve" or "Linear curve" selection? The "Film curve" boosts the apparent brightness by almost a full stop, while the "Linear curve" gives correct results.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

G*

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »

That’s with "linear response". I attach a screenshot for visualization (… quickly improvised …).

Left: NX2 without any adjustments. Right: CO7, same *.icm file, linear response, no adjustments.
The *.icm profile used in CO7 was copied from the temporary folder of NX2 when the same image was open (as seen on the left).

The difference in luminance is more complicated than just a "gamma" adjustment. (If the center slider in CO7 tones works gamma-like, that is.)

This is far from scientific, and I don’t have the means to test accuracy, and in this case both images might be acceptable. However: NX2 produces unique *.icm files with every new image and I can’t look inside those and see (+ understand) what the uniqueness is about (the *.icm might change each time with different white balance or different iso or different lens or different aperture or whatever …). So that is too much uncertainty for me and I leave the whole thing alone as long as I am satisfied with other, more simple and straight forward solutions.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »

NX2 produces unique *.icm files with every new image and I can’t look inside those
you can use free tools like http://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter

G*

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »

Thanks for the link! I’m more on the Mac side, though. But I’ll see what I can do …

Vladimirovich

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »

Thanks for the link! I’m more on the Mac side, though. But I’ll see what I can do …
I think Mac shall have a standard facility in OSX to see profile components in a similar fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up