Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which R Lenses Will be Adaptable to the New Leica M?  (Read 2185 times)

GuitarManiac

Which R Lenses Will be Adaptable to the New Leica M?
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:59 pm »

Some years ago I purchased a Leica R7 and a Vario Elmar 35-70 f3.5 and then acquired a Summilux 50mm f1.4.  Both of the lenses did not have the conversion required to make them compatible with later Leica R bodies (TTL etc.)
I am excited about the prospect of purchasing a new M240 body if the R lens adapter will enable me to use these lenses.  I would also consider paying to upgrade them to adaptability if that is an option.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

hasselbladfan

Re: Which R Lenses Will be Adaptable to the New Leica M?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

The list of supported lenses include your Summilux and the Vario-Elmar 35-70mm F4, so with some luck the F3.5 will also work.

The more important question is : are these the right R lenses to use on the M? Both lenses are not superior to the existing M lenses. So why not sell them both and buy 2 great Summicrons (35 - 75mm) instead? You will have much better results.

In my view the R adapter is more useful, if you use lenses that don't exist in the M range or are much superior in IQ (60-100 Macro or the 180mms or the 280mms).

GuitarManiac

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »

Do you have any knowledge regarding whether the lenses which are almost 18 years old must be adapted or brought into more current condition in order to be used?
Thanks

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:00:43 am »

Do you have any knowledge regarding whether the lenses which are almost 18 years old must be adapted or brought into more current condition in order to be used?
Thanks

Speaking generally and not specifically regarding the R lenses on the M 240, there should be no issues unless teh R lenses are damaged.  I've used Hasselblad C lenses from the 60's with a digital back, Leica screwmount lenses from the 40's on the M8/M9, and Leica R and 30 year old Nikon AI-S lenses on the D800e and Canon 1ds3/5D2.  No issues.  No need to update, refurbish, modify, polish.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

No need to adapt the lenses, just to buy the adapter from Leica (310 usd).
Pages: [1]   Go Up