Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Again - to replace or not THE CONCLUSION  (Read 960 times)

MDVolle

Epson 4900 Again - to replace or not THE CONCLUSION
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:58 am »

To try and be as fair as possible, I need to follow up on my Epson 4900 post. The old thread wandered a bit off topic, so I'm starting fresh.

First, I was disappointed by both Epson and their recommended service center here in Fullerton CA.

This site was WAY more informative about my printer than any other resource.

With my printer "condemned" to needing a new head by both Epson and the service center and unwilling to pay the $1,600 repair, I had little to loose and attacked my printer.

After disassembling the unit and removing the head block, any and all possible clogging was nearly instantly cleared by flushing a little water through the channels.

Reassembly, braving the purchase of a full set of inks so I could re-start/initial charge the unit - I figured it was still a 50/50.

Short answer - after an initial charge and a single nozzle check and normal cleaning, I was missing about four nozzles (total) after having had NONE of the nozzles printing

A few test prints and I had ALL the nozzles working again. An automatic head alignment and I was back in business.

NOT for the timid but I am back to printing.

The post here in the forums listing where to purchase the service manual and service software was absolutely essential and the only expense outside the cost of ink.

Very frustrating but a MUCH better outcome than it first appeared.

I still love the output from this printer, even if we now have a slightly less rosy relationship.

Mark

jrsforums

Re: Epson 4900 Again - to replace or not THE CONCLUSION
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:38 am »

Can you describe how you flushed the head with water?
John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 Again - to replace or not THE CONCLUSION
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:34 am »

Hi Mark - I'm very pleased to hear about your success with this, because it is not always the outcome of these interventions. I'd appreciate if you could link us to where you were able to download the service manual and software - not that I need it just now, my 4900 is performing just fine, but who knows, it could come in handy one of these days.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up