Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog/Library Drive Problem  (Read 1630 times)

schrodingerscat

Catalog/Library Drive Problem
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:45 am »

Have been having problems accessing my image files after changing out computers. Also recently updated to LR 4.4.

Thinking the problem was with catalog access, I came across an Adobe tutorial about upgrading the catalog. After following the instructions I now have both the LR 3 and LR 4 catalog files on the library drive containing all my image files, and presume that they've been upgraded.

Now, when opening LR, in the Navigation panel it shows only 475 photographs under Catalog, though there are several thousand on the drive. Under Folder it shows the library drive with the green lighted, but only shows a sub folder with the same name with 25 images. Under that is another field showing the same drive, but it's blacked out. It only shows three years of folders, despite folders being on the drive from 1999 to 2013. All folders have question marks. Up until the change, I had no problem working with any files on the library drive, and both the system drive and library drive were ported to the new machine with SuperDuper.

Hoping someone can help me unravel this, pretty much stuck until then.

Thanks

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"

schrodingerscat

Re: Catalog/Library Drive Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:53 am »

Well, up and running, sortof...

I was able to access the complete library drive by setting the preference for default catalog to /users/myname/pictures/lightroom/ lightroom 4 catalog. So it seems I now have four catalogs. One each for LR 3 and 4 on the library drive, and one each for 3 and 4 in my home folder. Seems that the duplicates could cause problems, but not sure how to eliminate them or which ones. Just what is the best location for the catalog, and would it be best to merge the LR3 with the 4? If that's even possible.

Also, practically all files indicate the metadata needs to be updated, but can only find how to do that individually, not globally.

Thanks for any insight.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:46:47 am »

Usually an upgraded catalogue is given a name like the LR3 one, but with -2 on the end of the name. You'll also expect to find a previews folder also with -2 on the end.

For now, don't start Lightroom the usual way. Instead, double click each lrcat file, ie a catalogue. This should start LR4. If it asks you to upgrade, you know it's an LR3 catalogue. Exit, noting the folder/name. Afterwards, you can delete these LR3 catalogues or make them read only in Finder, but not yet.

If you're not asked to upgrade, it's an LR4 catalogue. Decide (common sense) which catalogue is the correct one - I'll call it A. Again, close and note the details. If you're lucky, there's only one catalogue that looks right. If not, and you have managed to add work to more than one, open catalogue A and use File > Import from Another Catalog to bring catalogue B's contents into it. After doing so, set catalogue B to read-only via Finder or delete it, so tidying up as you go.

If this catalogue A now shows every picture you expect, that's great. If not, maybe you have other LR3 or LR4 catalogues which need importing into the main catalogue? Follow the same method as above. Each time you open a catalogue, ensure you know which one it is (tip - customize the identity plate in each one).

At this stage-
- do not use Folder Synchronize to get yourself out of this mess
- do not use File > Import Photos to fix it either

At this stage they are more likely to compound the problem. Only resort to them if you are certain there are no other catalogues which can be imported into your main one.

For now, forget the metadata update indicator. It doesn't really matter.

John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:09:22 am by johnbeardy »

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:55 pm »

Hi John -

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Finally got it down to one LR 4 catalog, the one in my home folder turned out to be the only one that recognized all files in the Library drive. Moved the others to the trash and now LR opens and accesses all images as before. As that was the location LR installed the catalog, guess it's best to leave it there. I noticed that in the Seth Resnick vid tute he had his on the drive with the image files, but think that was LR2

Solved the metadata problem by "choosing all" in just the root drive folder, then clicking on the warning symbol on the first file. a dialog popped up asking to write the info to disc, and after doing that all files indicate metadata is up to date(no warning).

All seems OK now, thanks again for the help.

SC

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:44:25 pm »

...I noticed that in the Seth Resnick vid tute he had his on the drive with the image files, but think that was LR2...

In this context absolutely nothing has changed in Lr4.
You can choose what drive the catalog and image files sit.
There are good reasons to place catalog and image files on a dedicated, preferably, internal hard drive.
It is true that Lr has its defaults but that is all they are.

Tony Jay

aduke

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »

As an experiment, you can make a copy of your current catalog, place the copy where ever you think you might want it, and open it in LR. If you've set LR to always open the last catalog used by LR, LR will always open the copy, at least until you open the original again.

You now have two copies of your catalog. You need to decide which one will be your catalog and delete the other.

Alan

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:01 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the tips. Might try moving it to the library drive just to see.

If keeping it on the system drive, would it have an easier time finding the library files regardless as to what drive that is? thinking in terms of using it with a laptop and external drive with both using cloned data from the desktop drives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up