Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few from Bangkok  (Read 4818 times)

shadowblade

A few from Bangkok
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »

Only the first is technically a landscape, but, since I was making a thread anyway, I thought I'd include a few other shots too.

1: Temple of the Dawn

Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan, usually simply referred to as Wat Arun, is a Buddhist temple in Bangkok and one of the city's most recognisable landmarks. Although the temple has existed since the 17th century, the prang (spires) were built in the early 19th century during the reign of King Rama II and are decorated with seashells, as well as pieces of Chinese porcelain used as ballast by trading vessels. The central prang rises to a height of 76m.

2: The Marble Temple

The newest of Bangkok's major temples, Wat Benchamabophit, the Marble Temple, was completed in 1911 from imported Italian marble.

3: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

Soi Cowboy, one of Bangkok's infamous red-light districts, awash with alcohol and illegal gambling among its numerous go-go bars.

I was seated on the ground for nearly two hours waiting for the right moment to take this shot, between some parked motorcycles and a lineup of ladyboys, earning death stares from some passers-by and more than one thrown object.

4: Welcome to Bangkok

Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Bangkok.

Peter McLennan

Re: A few from Bangkok
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »

Superb images, all.  Sitting on the pavement definitely worth the wait.
You certainly do get around, 'blade.  :)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:37 pm »

Strong stuff as always. How did you get the sky over the temple??

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:30 pm »

Strong stuff as always. How did you get the sky over the temple??

The first temple, or the second one?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:05:26 am »

All very nice.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:23:01 am »

The first temple, or the second one?

I suspect he means the second one: it's superb.

Jeremy

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:43 am »

I suspect he means the second one: it's superb.

Jeremy

I took it using a 10-stop neutral density filter. To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was going to work - the winds at cloud level could have been blowing in any direction, and I wasn't sure if the composition would have worked well anyway.

francois

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:51 am »

I took it using a 10-stop neutral density filter. To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was going to work - the winds at cloud level could have been blowing in any direction, and I wasn't sure if the composition would have worked well anyway.

Thanks for the technical information. This sky is unreal!
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:56:36 am »

Yup, I was wondering about #2, thanks. Spectacular.

Praki

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:02:08 pm »

All images are amazing. I want to know about the technical details to get the sky on the first image.
Thanks,

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »

All images are amazing. I want to know about the technical details to get the sky on the first image.
Thanks,

Exposed once for the foreground and once for the background, blending and dodging to deal with the dynamic range (and the tower is very brightly lit anyway).

dhancock

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:57 pm »

Wow, some amazing compositions. You clearly are a master of composition. While #1 is really nice, #2 is awesome. Fantastic work! #4 is a nice architecture piece, good contrast.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »

Xlnt work!

Why did you sit on the street so long? Waiting for right light or right people to come by?

Why did they throw things at you? It Bangkok unfriendly to photogs?

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:49:57 pm »

Xlnt work!

Why did you sit on the street so long? Waiting for right light or right people to come by?

Why did they throw things at you? It Bangkok unfriendly to photogs?

Waiting for a vehicle and people to be in the right place at the right time, as well as the 'star' in the top middle to have its lights on (they kept wazing and waning in intensity).

Bangkok is very friendly to photographers. I guess people just don't like being photographed in a red-light district...

Iluvmycam

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:32 am »

Waiting for a vehicle and people to be in the right place at the right time, as well as the 'star' in the top middle to have its lights on (they kept wazing and waning in intensity).

Bangkok is very friendly to photographers. I guess people just don't like being photographed in a red-light district...

I was going to ask you if you went inside any of the adult entertainment venues to shoot behind the scenes? I am not talking about taking shots of the adult shows, but shooting up close, like 'Pink Box' style of work.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Box-Inside-Japans-Clubs/dp/0810992590

You travel a lot. What do you do for safe storage of your gear when your not shooting?

I lost some stuff in a Florida motel one time. Locked it up with a small lock in a big soft sided luggage. I thought the motel would respect the lock. Maid service broke the lock right off, threw the lock pieces on the floor and took whatever they liked out of the bags. When I complained, the office pointed to a sign on a wall...Not Responsible for Any Losses.'  In Paris, an entire bag disappeared from the hotel.

In Turkey they have some great steam baths and massage service. Thailand has some great Thai massage schools to get worked on. But what to do with the gear? I don't travel with anyone to leave it with. So I always fret about not keeping my gear with me after the Florida and Paris experiences.

I've looked at your other posts. Very strong images...keep it up and thanks for sharing your work with us.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:58:20 am by iluvmycam »

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:10 am »

I didn't go inside - it's definitely not my scene! But the street scene itself is a landmark worth photographing.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:19 am »

Nice work, but he Marble Temple is superb!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:09 pm »

Absolutely love the temple. Awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up