Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using roll paper with Epson 3880  (Read 2668 times)

bilbobobbins

Using roll paper with Epson 3880
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:30 pm »

Hi everybody,

I currently print my captured landscape images with the 3880, using Epson A2 premium luster paper. The images are sized to 12x16 inches and when printed and cut to size, a lot of unused paper per sheet is wasted.

I plan to use Epson ultrasmooth fine art paper, however, with the current price of the Epson A2 sheets and wastage from my print sizes, I assume it must be feasible to use a roll providing it is cut appropriately before printing and showing no sign of curling.

My questions are as follows: Because the roll is 250gsm, compared to 325gsm for A2 sheets, what changes would I need to make to the Print 'paper configuration' setting, in particular the Platen gap, Paper Thickness, Drying time per print head pass etc?

As the roll paper is 250gsm, am I correct in assuming, that once cut to my specific requirements, it may be loaded and printed to, from the sheet feeder?

Also, is it possible to use the Epson Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper ICC profile for my printer whilst printing to the lighter cut roll paper.

I apologise for my lack of understanding in this area and any help or advice will be most appreciated.

Peter.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Using roll paper with Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:16:01 pm »

I've done exactly what you are describing - printing on Epson ultrasmooth roll paper on an Epson 3800. Dealing with the roll paper is, of course, quite a nuisance: you may talk yourself into a printer that handles roll paper quite quickly! I was going for the maximum print length, so you may find your sheets easier to handle than I did.

I used the rear feeder, so I don't know if the sheet feeder would choke or not. It's been a while, but I don't remember doing anything special with the paper thickness or platen gap.

hugowolf

Re: Using roll paper with Epson 3880
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:30:53 am »

I have used the sheet feeder for 250/260 gsm Epson papers. Apart from anything else, the tray extends further to add support for longer papers.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up