Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft proof - it doesn't "look like c**p"  (Read 8026 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: Soft proof - it doesn't "look like c**p"
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 02:48:56 am »

Thanks, Jeff. I'd better have one made.

Any recommendations, anyone? Someone in the UK would be best.

Tony, I have some of the Canson stuff. I'll give it a go.

Jeremy

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 02:53:21 am »

Any recommendations, anyone? Someone in the UK would be best.

Sorry, not familiar with UK profile makers...the ones I do know are here in the US, Andrew Rodney (the Digital Dog) and the guys at Chromix. Maybe somebody in the UK can respond...

Clearair

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 03:59:16 am »

Hi
iPF6100
Mac
Aperture
I use whatever supplier I order my media from.
My local Canon large format printer dealer will profile anything for me as an existing customer, Designline in Poole.
I have used Fotospeed, Permajet, not sure but I think Canson as well, would have to check.

Print of a downloaded swatch and post.
Profile in email by the next day or two.

All can be contacted for any issues with profiles. All are free to an existing customer but will do profiles independently for a modest cost.
Just choose your media and send the swatch.

Regards

Clearair

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 04:17:55 am »

Hi
Do I use soft proofing in PS and Canons PS plugin in? Ho yes. Does it show 100% what my prints look like, Ho no. Is this a problem, NO as to make all prints on the differing media I use look like the SP would be a real anal workflow. It is a tool and very useful but how you use it and how accurate it is depends on effort in to result out.
I always print off a strip of the work where I think the important parts are and let it dry, heh, then compare it to the screen. If there is something off on the strip guess what, I see it in the SP.
Observation is your best skill when judging soft proofing and this is more likely out. I worked for 3 decades in an industry where colour judgement by human eye/mind was critical and it varied everyday and between individuals that were all singing from the same hymn book.
Your muddy prints may be a problem with your inks or contamination in the lines.
Try a nozzel or calibration test print.
Don't know about the Epson, my Canon does a calibration which showed up a muddy line which helped me save some hair pulling last year
having RE DONE several profiles.
Regards

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 04:06:41 am »

Clearair: thanks for the offer - for some reason, I didn't see your posts. The nozzles are fine and although a couple of the inks were rather out of date, changing them hasn't made any difference.

Rhossydd has made a profile for me, which is a noticeable improvement over the generic Ilford profile. I also sent him a sheet of GFS which he used to make a profile for his own 3800; interestingly, it's virtually indistinguishable from the one he made for me, which I suppose indicates that the people Epson employed to build 3800s might have had some idea what they were doing.

I think my problem is more closely connected with recalibrating my expectations than calibrating the monitor. I'd become used to "adjusting" mentally the screen image to anticipate the print when I was using a Huey Pro to calibrate a cheap Dell monitor. I'd hoped that using an i1 to calibrate a new iMac screen would bypass that step, but I now realise that I was wrong.

Jeremy

EDIT: since Rhossydd doesn't mention his firm anywhere in his profile here, I didn't either. He has now told me that I can, so I shall: it's ColourProfiles.com. Recommended.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:18:34 pm by kikashi »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up