Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring update  (Read 4791 times)

sdwilsonsct

Spring update
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:48 am »

First one was taken last night.
No lighthouses, penguins or rocky shores, so I shoot what I have.

James Clark

Re: Spring update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

Number 2 is cool.  Would love to see it with some filters/textures applied and taken a little more toward the abstract.  

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:20 am »

Looking at these, I find a cold chill enveloping me...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...thus, quite successful to my warm eyes.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

churly

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:58:46 pm »

Well done Scott.  # 2 is particularly fine but I would have a go at pushing back the noise in the foreground. :)

After seeing these I'm feeling better about rain, drizzle and fog here (and wind).
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:02 pm »

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Chuck, I think I'm seeing a lot more noise than usual in these smooth sky and snow pictures. Guess they bring it out.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:09 am »

"No lighthouses, penguins or rocky shores" thanks Scott. The general atmosphere of the first two is really great...I especially like the first...the tone, especially the curving shapes, and the minute objects. Keep on "shooting what you have" you are on to something...look forward to seeing more /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:01:38 pm »

seeing a lot more noise than usual in these smooth sky and snow pictures. Guess they bring it out.

Dark "smooth sky and snow" -- so not much data being recorded.

Expose so that those dark areas are very bright, record maximum data but bleach the lighter areas, so a second take for the lighter areas and then shake with something like Enfuse.

dhancock

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »

I don't know the situation with #1, so I can't say much about your options. However, my thoughts are, the sky and the farm are your primary subjects - maybe you could have gotten low and close with a wide angle lens? That way you could have included a good portion of the sky and also included the farm in a more dramatic way.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »

Brandt - thanks! Just to be clear -- I am a big fan of lighthouses, etc. I do enjoy this site for people posting what they have to shoot. You have some really nice shots on your page.

Isaac -- HDR?

Dan -- yes, I have shot those bins and sky closer in the past (and posted them here), but there was a mile of snow between me and them. Even if I wasn't as lazy as I am, there was no way to get there before that rapidly moving squall moved on. Excuses excuses!

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:03:47 am »

These are fascinating subjects, but the composition is a bit bland for me. The first one seems to have the most potential, but I can't really get over the two round cloud areas protruding down towards the ground. It is rare that a composition works with prominent features occurring in twos, and I think that's what gives me problems here.  When I first looked at it, I was so focused on the pair of clouds that I didn't notice the farm or the fact that it was a snow (tundra) scene. It was only after reading some of the comments and coming back that I saw the buildings.  THEY are interesting, but I missed them on first gaze.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »

Isaac -- HDR?
Not as a style, so I think of it as exposure blending. Most of the scene is dark, and that's how we want it to be in the final picture. ETTR for the dark areas of the scene say +3EV and then make the dark areas dark again -3EV on the computer. But that temporary shuffle bleached out the lighter areas, so blend with a second "normal" take to correct them.

(I was kind-of assuming RAW.)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:41:05 pm by Isaac »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

These are fascinating subjects, but the composition is a bit bland for me. The first one seems to have the most potential, but I can't really get over the two round cloud areas protruding down towards the ground. It is rare that a composition works with prominent features occurring in twos,

Good point, Marc. I was wondering why the composition seemed weak. Thanks!

Isaac -- gotcha. I see the new Canon 6D also does the combined-image noise reduction that you mentioned earlier.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:44 am »

Brandt - thanks! Just to be clear -- I am a big fan of lighthouses, etc. I do enjoy this site for people posting what they have to shoot.
- only a jest Scott. Last evening I was shooting...wait for it...a lighthouse. Some additional thought re. the first two photos, I would consider the phrase..."don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".  There is some subtlety of tone in these images (1,2) that I rarely see...and I think it may be worth exploring/pursuing (don't know if you planned it or not).  I might suggest looking at some of the landscape work of Josef Sudek, one of my absolute favorites, whose weighty "tonalities" almost become the subject in some cases. Then there are the  Steiglitz images of "The Flatiron Bldg" - which reflect the same. /B
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:48:45 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »

Bloody hell - I am glad that I am nowhere near that as a SPRING scene.
I prefer much wamer climes.

Nice images though - certainly capture the frigd atmosphere.

Tony Jay

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »

I'll look at these guys, Brandt. Thanks for the tip and the encouragement.

Tony -- perhaps the worst was hours spent clearing 1.5 m of snow off the drive, the third time this month.

Next post will have much less snow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up