Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does monitor OSD preset make any difference when profiling monitor?  (Read 6560 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

I'm unclear whether the choices in the monitor OSD (on-screen display) make a difference or not when profiling a monitor.
  • Windows 7-64 with Asus/Amd Radeon HD 6770 video card
  • Just purchased Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitor which has presets for sRGB and Adobe-98
  • Monitor is capable of ~100% coverage of Adobe-98 gamut, which I want to take advantage of and not "shoot myself in the foot" with an inappropriate setting.
  • Spyder-3-Elite hardware monitor profiler
  • Should I select "Adobe RGB" as the monitor preset? Or "Custom"? Or doesn't matter?
  • My speculation is that by using a Spyder generated monitor profile with the monitor Adobe preset,  I could inadvertently end up with the equivalent of "redundant color management" with printers, where you neglect to turn off printer color management in the o/s print driver.
  • Or not?
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Does monitor OSD preset make any difference when profiling monitor?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:38:02 am »

Unless you have a smart monitor, you're going to have to muck around with OSD to get to the target calibration. I'd think setting the display to 'factory default' might be a good idea then move onto what ever OSD settings are necessary to hit the targets you ask for (cd/m2, white point etc). Ultimately if you can hit the calibration aim points, and more importantly get a match, you're set. I'd expect you'd want the widest gamut behavior IF some OSD alters that behavior.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
Re: Does monitor OSD preset make any difference when profiling monitor?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:01 am »

Unless you have a smart monitor

My understanding is that the Dell u2410 is not a "smart monitor".

Here's my latest speculation (... about whether to start with OSD of Adobe-98-RGB, Standard, Custom, Factory, or something else ...).

• Theoretically, it shouldn't make any difference, even with a "dumb" monitor like the u2410, a mid-level video card like the AMD 6770, and non-professional but mature software+hardware like the Spyder-3 package
  • In the real world with a specific video card and specific monitor, use the simplest setting that consistently results in the lowest De2k by a trustworthy procedure
  • For a non-printing-pro such as myself ... if there isn't a consistent "best", but the measurement error is less than some threshold like 0.5, don't lose sleep over it.
  • For completeness, if the De2k is over some threshold (2.0? 5.0?), then something in the "chain" may be broken ... video card? monitor? Spyder-3? my procedure?
Correct? More or less? Or do I continue to have a flawed understanding?

BTW: I say this to my shame, but I'm not confident I understand Andrew's very patient guidance. In any case, using the OSD to adjust individual RGB channels is probably "beyond my pay grade".

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:52:37 am by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear
Pages: [1]   Go Up