Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High-end nVidia Geforce GTX cards versus Quadro workstation graphics cards  (Read 5354 times)

Steve House

Planning out a new PC build for photography (Lightroom, Photoshop), audio recording and editing (Audition, Sound Forge, Nuendo), and video editing (Premiere Pro, Vegas) in that order of priority.  Considering either an nVidia GTX 670, 680, or 690 level card or a Quadro 2000 or 4000 workstation card.  Having a hard time choosing so soliciting input on which way to go with why's or why not's.  My biggest frustration with the way Lightroom runs on my current, very obsolete, PC is the lag in seeing changes to the image on the screen when making adjustments in the Develop module, speed of import or loading of images from disk is less of an issue.

Doug Fisher

If you have a monitor that can actually make use of the higher bit stream of the Quadro (most monitors cannot), that would be the only reason I would consider a Quadro.  Even then, I am not sure that the overpriced Quadro line would really be worth it.

Doug

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word

Planning out a new PC build for photography (Lightroom, Photoshop), audio recording and editing (Audition, Sound Forge, Nuendo), and video editing (Premiere Pro, Vegas) in that order of priority.  Considering either an nVidia GTX 670, 680, or 690 level card or a Quadro 2000 or 4000 workstation card. 

Don't know about sound or video editing, but you should know that LR doesn't use the GPU for image processing. Maybe in a future release. So there's limited gain in ponying up for a power-hungry graphics adapter. I've had some compatibility problems with the NVIDIA drivers, but great luck with the AMD Firepro V4900, which is about $150.

If you're building a new computer, you should also know that LR has a hard time using a whole lot of cores.

Of course, all this could change with future releases, and the kind of processing that we're talking about here is pretty easy to parallelize.

Jim

Steve House

If you have a monitor that can actually make use of the higher bit stream of the Quadro (most monitors cannot), that would be the only reason I would consider a Quadro.  Even then, I am not sure that the overpriced Quadro line would really be worth it.

Doug
Planning on either one of the new Dell U2713H wide gamut monitors or an NEC PA271W or PA241W.

If you're building a new computer, you should also know that LR has a hard time using a whole lot of cores.
Jim
Most likely processor choice to be i7-3930k 6-core, 32 gig ram.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:51:54 pm by Steve House »
Pages: [1]   Go Up