Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Following those graveyards  (Read 1609 times)

cjogo

Following those graveyards
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:00:47 am »

Southern France

stamper

Re: Following those graveyards
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:24 am »

I think the focal point is very nice but overwhelmed by the branches. Other than having some shears with you then it is as it appears or not at all? You must have others which aren't so overgrown ... if so I look forward to seeing them because this is a project that I am finding attractive as a photographic subject.

Riccardo

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:11 am »

it seems that we are in tune:
I photographed these tombstones in the south of France, few years ago.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:02:03 am »

And a couple of antipodean morsels:

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:17:42 am »

I lived in a rural settlement for about five years all by myself and with ample spare time and an interest in the earlier happenings of the area, I gravitated toward the local graveyard. I always took the camera with but never shot anything, being content to sit and listen and look.

I found some graves of British soldiers and policemen and often wondered what they went through while they were stationed at this outpost, which for me, almost a hundred years later felt like being sentenced to solitary confinement. And here they were, their final resting place this place of loneliness, emptiness, very far from their country. I hope their families know where they are resting.   

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37:56 am »

I lived in a rural settlement for about five years all by myself and with ample spare time and an interest in the earlier happenings of the area, I gravitated toward the local graveyard. I always took the camera with but never shot anything, being content to sit and listen and look.

I found some graves of British soldiers and policemen and often wondered what they went through while they were stationed at this outpost, which for me, almost a hundred years later felt like being sentenced to solitary confinement. And here they were, their final resting place this place of loneliness, emptiness, very far from their country. I hope their families know where they are resting.   

Too late now, but perhaps documenting those stones might have helped some relatives accidentally find answers. There are two cemeteries here that have taken my interest through the years, but like you, I have never actually shot anything there. It feels sort of exploitative - which is a bit nuts, considering those concerned are beyond caring, one way or the other. But I may yet use my new/old 2/35m there at f2. No, in daylight!

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:32 am »

I think the focal point is very nice but overwhelmed by the branches. Other than having some shears with you then it is as it appears or not at all? You must have others which aren't so overgrown ... if so I look forward to seeing them because this is a project that I am finding attractive as a photographic subject.

Funny >  I  was drawn to the scene ~~  from the clinging branches ..that made most of the interest... ???

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:09 am »

Great shots Riccardo & Walter ~!!

stamper

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25:23 am »

Funny >  I  was drawn to the scene ~~  from the clinging branches ..that made most of the interest... ???

We agree to disagree! Too many dominating the scene?

cjogo

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:21 am »

We agree to disagree! Too many dominating the scene?

Maybe if the background trees were not visible ...  just all the vines taking over the cross and the wall would had been more pleasing...

Riccardo

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »

Perhaps in another season, with trees covered with leaves, the branches would not enter into competition with the vines.
In your conditions maybe a vertical framing would have made a better idea of the branches that cling the cross.
Please forgive me for the cropping.

cjogo

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »

Perhaps in another season, with trees covered with leaves, the branches would not enter into competition with the vines.
In your conditions maybe a vertical framing would have made a better idea of the branches that cling the cross.
Please forgive me for the cropping.

thanks Riccardo ---  I should learn to crop >> I always frame the camera for square ...

cjogo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02:19 pm »

Praha Jewish graves

Riccardo

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 02:16:59 pm »

I really like this one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up