Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: They say you shouldn't shoot straight into the sun...  (Read 10477 times)

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Re: They say you shouldn't shoot straight into the sun...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:04 pm »

Beautiful image fike!

I'd say the reason most people are told not to shoot directly into the sun is because they may think that if they can get away with it using a wide angle lens, pointing a super telephoto at it may not brighten up your day as one may think. I'm thinking a wicked headache. :) Of course the trend these days is for manufacturers to cover their a**es in every ridiculous way they think they need to. :)

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 08:06:01 am »

Because lens flare reducing contrast?  :)

That is the most substantive reason I have heard. It still won't stop me.  Contrast isn't everything.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Deardorff

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:55 am »

A few reasons. The already mentioned 'looking into the sun' which can cause vision problems.

Using telephoto lenses magnifies the problems and with very long lenses can lead to burned and melted shutters. Not a good thing for the camera.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:36 am »

A few reasons. The already mentioned 'looking into the sun' which can cause vision problems.

Using telephoto lenses magnifies the problems and with very long lenses can lead to burned and melted shutters. Not a good thing for the camera.

There is a lot of scary warnings about stuff like this, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who has actually damaged their camera with too much sun. 

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:04:44 am »

There is a lot of scary warnings about stuff like this, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who has actually damaged their camera with too much sun. 

It's said that a swan's wingbeat is strong enough to break a man's arm. I've never met anyone who's had an arm broken by a swan.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

It's said that a swan's wingbeat is strong enough to break a man's arm. I've never met anyone who's had an arm broken by a swan.

Excellent expression!!

thierrylegros396

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 12:56:01 pm »

simply note that your sensor may be damaged.

Not burned, but some areas may have some problems (higher moise, color cast,...)

And you may discover that far later and don't imagine that it comes from sensor high overexposure.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

But as a lot of photographers I've taken shots with sun in the frame ;) ;) ;)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:10 am »

So I am buying what you guys are selling. I have recklessly ignored this recommendation to not shoot into the sun.
And you did well! Very nice image.
I know it sounds quite mundane but... Which lens, please? It seems very resistant to ghosting.

Why do all the manufacturers tell you not to?  Is it because they are afraid you are going to fry your eyeball with a telephoto lens or something?
Frying your eyes through a ground glass seems much less probable to me than simply while staring at the sun with naked eyes, as the visual pain in the latter situation may tell you (once it's a tad too late) ; the ground glass should scatter much if not all of the energy.
Frying the sensor itself would involve a longish exposure, which is not compatible with our sensors' sensitivities : I'd say that the energy level necessary to fill (saturate) a pixel is a few orders of magnitude below the energy level that may fry it.
Frying the shutter seems much more probable, and one may well point that it's the only fact reported hereabove. ;)

For me, the main reason is to avoid complaints about ghosting and flare.
Remember the the EPL2 "red dots" problem? Just ghosting (but way worse than usual, perhaps because it might have been created at the sensor).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:42:12 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 05:44:23 am »

Maybe we need a contre jour thread, just as we have one for rocks, clouds & trees?

theguywitha645d

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:32 am »

The brightness of the solar image does not change with focal length, but f-number. A wide-angle lens is not safer.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »

I know it sounds quite mundane but... Which lens, please? It seems very resistant to ghosting.
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye on APS-C.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up