Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Painted Ladies  (Read 6534 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Painted Ladies
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:00 am »

Or "Victorians on the bay." I went for "Painted Ladies" in the title, knowing that nothing else would catch Rob's attention. ;D

A row of Victorian-era houses at the Alamo Square in San Francisco, at dusk.

I know, I know.. standard tourist staple, but couldn't resist anyway.

Rob C

Re: Painted Ladies
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:45:26 am »

Or "Victorians on the bay." I went for "Painted Ladies" in the title, knowing that nothing else would catch Rob's attention. ;D

A row of Victorian-era houses at the Alamo Square in San Francisco, at dusk.

I know, I know.. standard tourist staple, but couldn't resist anyway.

And it worked; but did you consider the damage to my soul when I realised...

;-)

Rob C

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

Прави тренутак мој пријатељ! Браво!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:22 pm »

That's an interesting keyboard you've got there!

Rob C

Mjollnir

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »

Nicely exposed.

I wonder what those houses sell for?  Or if the owners actually ever do sell them.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »

Nicely exposed.

I wonder what those houses sell for?  Or if the owners actually ever do sell them.

Or have heard of earthquakes; though that might affect buyers more than sellers.

Rob C

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »

And it worked; but did you consider the damage to my soul when I realised...

;-)

Rob C

Rob, we can't have you traumatized.  Here's a painted lady for you: Painted Like a Mountainside
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:02:31 pm »

Rob, we can't have you traumatized.  Here's a painted lady for you: Painted Like a Mountainside

Aha! A piece of vintage English glamour, then; any year from 1947 to the late 60s, by which time even she would have shortened her skirts. They all did. What a time to be a toddler!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »

Translation (from Serbian): the right moment, my friend! Bravo!

Thanks, Larry! Yes, the moment was right, but it seems that I was not right for the moment. You see, I did not bring my tripod this time. The purpose of the trip was supposed to keep me busy in the evenings (and mornings), plus bringing the tripod would mean I would have to check that bag (extra $50... you see, Rob, Serbs and Scots might have more in common that you knew, if stereotypes are correct). And every time I make a compromise in my life, I seem to regret it later. It did turned out that I had one evening free, and... no tripod. So, while the image is ok for web, it is not critically sharp or noise-free for larger printouts. Lesson learned... never compromise.

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »

There, but for the sake of a 50!!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »

It's a fine catch, Slobodan, standard tourist shot or not. The light was right. Your eyes were open. You were there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »

There, but for the sake of a 50!!

Indeed, Walter, shame on me! Then again, I had enough lost, misplaced and delayed checked-in luggage to prefer carry-on only.

WalterEG

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »

I know your concern Slobodan,

Since I was in my 20s I have always carried a Leitz table-top tripod and Leitz ball head in my camera bag for moments just like this.  It means hoping to find something solid to rest it on at a suitable viewing height.

Cheers,

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »

You see, I did not bring my tripod this time... plus bringing the tripod would mean I would have to check that bag (extra $50...  and... no tripod. So, while the image is ok for web, it is not critically sharp or noise-free for larger printouts. Lesson learned... never compromise.

Hi Slobodan - you need to treat yourself to a Manfrotto 190CX PRO3/4. You can take the centre column out and the head with it, so the whole thing easily fits into a small(ish) carry-on travel bag. It has a centre column that you can invert, which while centre columns are not ideal, but because this one can be inverted, it is also great for low level work. It is really quite sturdy and gives you about 5 and a half foot to the head when fully extended and is the best tripod I have found to take with me when I'm flying. Oh and it is very light and easy to carry all day long, unlike my very tall Gitzo GT3541XLS, which I use locally, but try not to carry for more than a few hours if I can.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:39:54 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »

Since I was in my 20s I have always carried a Leitz table-top tripod and Leitz ball head...

Funny you mentioned that, I think I had the same for a number of years, thanks to my uncle, who was a professional photographer in Sweden (the origin of my first Hasselblad as well). Then I started moving from country to country, and continent to continent, and it got lost in transition. Nifty little thing, that Leitz tripod.

Mjollnir

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 09:30:12 pm »

Hi Slobodan - you need to treat yourself to a Manfrotto 190CX PRO3/4. You can take the centre column out and the head with it, so the whole thing easily fits into a small(ish) carry-on travel bag. It has a centre column that you can invert, which while centre columns are not ideal, but because this one can be inverted, it is also great for low level work. It is really quite sturdy and gives you about 5 and a half foot to the head when fully extended and is the best tripod I have found to take with me when I'm flying. Oh and it is very light and easy to carry all day long, unlike my very tall Gitzo GT3541XLS, which I use locally, but try not to carry for more than a few hours if I can.

Dave

Holy crap!  Until you mentioned it, I had never ever dreamed of something like that Gitzo!  Thanks!

Although I'm already 6'3'', something like that would come in veeeeeery handy at a lot of the iconic places in areas we frequent.  Hell, I might even shoot Tunnel View again if I had it because I could get up and over those damned random trees past the stone retaining wall.

Tunnel View.
Valley View.
Olmsted Point.
The main tufa area at Mono Lake.
North Lake.
Badwater Basin.

On and on.

Thanks a lot.  I literally had no idea something like that existed.

** on edit **

Oh.  It's been discontinued.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:33:22 pm by Mjollnir »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 06:10:49 am »

Surely they still do something similar? Or has mine now become a rare and sought after 'classic'?

;D

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:41 am »

Surely they still do something similar? Or has mine now become a rare and sought after 'classic'?

;D

Dave

It may now have 'character'...

;-)

Rob C

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »

Holy crap!  Until you mentioned it, I had never ever dreamed of something like that Gitzo!  Thanks!

Thanks a lot.  I literally had no idea something like that existed.

** on edit **

In actual fact no it hasn't been discontinued, but it has been upgraded to this one, the GT3542xls, £699 for the legs only, which works out at around $1,000 US - yes it is expensive I know, but they really are the best and probably (hopefully) will last a lifetime.

And here is a link to the brochure.  :o

There isn't much I could apply a full and honest 5 star recommendation to, but these legs definitely get my seal of approval.  :)

So go on, treat yourself, you know you want to  ;D ;D ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:03:33 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 10:11:47 am »

In actual fact no it hasn't been discontinued, but it has been upgraded to this one, the GT3542xls, £699 for the legs only, which works out at around $1,000 US - yes it is expensive I know, but they really are the best and probably (hopefully) will last a lifetime.

And here is a link to the brochure.  :o

There isn't much I could apply a full and honest 5 star recommendation to, but these legs definitely get my seal of approval.  :)

So go on, treat yourself, you know you want to  ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Dave, how do you do that, make a link without having to type out the whole http.etc stuff?

I never was very computer literate.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up