Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New pc build with i7 3770K  (Read 12101 times)

BrianWJH

Re: New pc build with i7 3770K
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »

Worth considering the ASRock Extreme4 mb here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/index.us.asp and for a case the Cooler Master Silenco 550.

It's hard to beat for the price, nicely designed and built case, no sharp edges plenty of room and very quiet: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3044&product_name=Silencio 550.

I went with the Intel Core i5 3570K cpu instead of the 3770k as the performance versus price difference wasn't great enough for me and besides the release of the new Intel Haswell generation is imminent so prices on the 3770k will drop.

DDR4 RAM is just around the corner also with the Haswell release.

For RAM I went with G.Skill DDR3-1600 sniper F3-1600C9D-16GSR as it's a lower profile than the big heat sink sticks.

Like you I'm using the Samsung 840 Pro SSD as the o/s drive with an external NetGear NAS for backup, still deciding which one of the  internal hdd's I've got to go in the case.

Good luck with your build.
Brian.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 05:58:59 pm »

Brian your post brings up a very important point. With Haswell on the horizon it may very well be a time where putting off my purchase is beneficial. Most of my processing occurs in summer when I am out and about photographing and in the winter after my 5 weeks holiday....so I really don't have any big processing to do...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 04:54:54 am »

So the question of motherboard still remains. How do i determine which is the best one?
Is there a specific benchmark
Or am I obsessing about nothing?
Have a short look at the tests, you'll probably see VERY little difference between motherboard performance at stock speeds, so IMHO it's really not worth obsessing about.
More important  to me are issues like the options for future expansions (eg how many slots of what type and where they are, how many SATA connectors etc) and what IOs are on the board to start with. Do you need lots of USB ports ? Firewire ? etc...

BTW I've found Antec cases to be excellent here and haven't found a better case design than their old Sonata with a quieter CPU

Philmar

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 09:06:37 am »

thanks Rhossy,
I've looked a tons of reviews now and where you do see differences are in situations that won't apply to me: gaming and 3D benchmarks.
From what I have read (but have not seen borne out in any tests) is that ASUS and Gigabyte mobos should perform faster at 'stock' because they have implemented Intel's multicore enhancement better (which gives them that automatic overclock when needed).

Philmar

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 11:36:14 am »

I decided on the mobo.

I was about to buy the ASUS P8Z77-V. It lacked the multi-GPU features I wasn't interested in and I liked ASUS implementation of Turbo Boost and MultiCore Enhancement. t looked like that gives their boards a bit better erformance at stock.  But ASUS has a rebate that ended yesterday on the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Thunderbird. Coupled with a sale price at an online enndr I was able to get one for cheaper than the P8Z77-V. So i get all the wireless connectivity for free. And I am futureproofed for TB if it ever becomes mainstream on Intel boards within the next 5 years (the estimated lifespan of this build).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:51:14 pm by Philmar »

Philmar

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:15 am »

MEMORY - Since I am not OC'ing this build does it make any sense to get anything faster than 1333GHz sticks?
Do I care about CAS latency?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 06:14:54 pm »

Thanks bill. Every time i upgrade i always look at Apple. I usually conclude that I can find a custom PC that fits my needs cheaper.

Absolutely true!!!  I just did a new computer build last week.  My old PC was getting just too noisy and the video card was having issues that I couldn't resolve (changed the driver lots of times with updates but that didn't seem to be doing much).  95% of my work is in LR and I don't do panoramas much at all which is where you really need processing power.  My other goal was getting the quietest system without having a case that weighs a ton (most quiet cases have thicker metal and usually soundproofing foam on the inside).  I ended up going with an Intel i5 CPU because it runs cooler and I don't need the performance of an i7.  The biggest difference you can make is to get a SSD for the Win7 OS and your programs.  Your boot up times will be less than 10 seconds and you can load programs even faster.  At any rate for $1400 here is what I ended up with:

Case - Fractal Designes Arc Midi R2 (it has 3 fans a fan controler and lots of room for wires and a CPU cooler)
CPU - i5 Ivy Bridge 3470
Motherboard - Ausus P8Z77-V LGA
CPU Cooler - Enermax ETS T40 (really easy to install and is quiet)
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 660 (I'm stcking with NVIDIA chips because of my bad experience with ATI)
SSD - Samsung 840 128GB (just after I did my build Amazon had the 256GB Samsung 840 for less than I paid for 128!)
HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (my case has room for 5 more drives if I ever need them)
Memory - 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800
PS - SeaSonic X650 Gold (get a modular power supply so you don't end up with wires you are not using in your build)
Optical Drive - ASUS DVD/CD RW (I don't watch Blue Ray movies on my computer so I don't need that feature)

This system sits on my desk top about 18 inches away and one can just hear the case fans at the middle speed.  It also has support for USB 3 on the mother board which is nice as well.

I've moved all my LR images over to the HD and it's much faster than my old computer which was an i7 system.

Alan

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:21 pm »

Absolutely true!!!  I just did a new computer build last week.  My old PC was getting just too noisy and the video card was having issues that I couldn't resolve (changed the driver lots of times with updates but that didn't seem to be doing much).  95% of my work is in LR and I don't do panoramas much at all which is where you really need processing power.  My other goal was getting the quietest system without having a case that weighs a ton (most quiet cases have thicker metal and usually soundproofing foam on the inside).  I ended up going with an Intel i5 CPU because it runs cooler and I don't need the performance of an i7.  The biggest difference you can make is to get a SSD for the Win7 OS and your programs.  Your boot up times will be less than 10 seconds and you can load programs even faster.  At any rate for $1400 here is what I ended up with:

Case - Fractal Designes Arc Midi R2 (it has 3 fans a fan controler and lots of room for wires and a CPU cooler)
CPU - i5 Ivy Bridge 3470
Motherboard - Ausus P8Z77-V LGA
CPU Cooler - Enermax ETS T40 (really easy to install and is quiet)
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 660 (I'm stcking with NVIDIA chips because of my bad experience with ATI)
SSD - Samsung 840 128GB (just after I did my build Amazon had the 256GB Samsung 840 for less than I paid for 128!)
HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (my case has room for 5 more drives if I ever need them)
Memory - 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800
PS - SeaSonic X650 Gold (get a modular power supply so you don't end up with wires you are not using in your build)
Optical Drive - ASUS DVD/CD RW (I don't watch Blue Ray movies on my computer so I don't need that feature)

This system sits on my desk top about 18 inches away and one can just hear the case fans at the middle speed.  It also has support for USB 3 on the mother board which is nice as well.

I've moved all my LR images over to the HD and it's much faster than my old computer which was an i7 system.

Alan

If you do  it correctly$ you can have your apple and your $1400 pc at the same time...
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up