Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP other than Imagprint?  (Read 5327 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
RIP other than Imagprint?
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »

Is there any other RIP other than Image print but same or better quality of Epson 11880?

smilem

• Color Management Services
Re: RIP other than Imagprint?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:58 am »

Had you tried overdrive rip

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:20:18 am »

No, can U give me more info or their website PLZ?

jpegman

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »

Have you tried to Google "overdrive rip"?

The answer is http://www.overdriverip.com/

Jpegman

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:35:53 pm »

Sorry about setting up another question up on yours.
But why do you need a RIP?
If you can answer this question, I think we will be able to get you a better answer.

aaron

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »

Sorry about setting up another question up on yours.
But why do you need a RIP?
If you can answer this question, I think we will be able to get you a better answer.

aaron

That's okay Aaron and its a good question actually! I am about to set up my own printing work shop. I bought Epson 11880 and going to buy all necessary stuff to run it. reading many article about Imagprint RIP in LULA, they say it increase the print quality by far. that's why I decided to get one. Besides, although I was about to buy one of X-rite calibration devices but since my Eiso 27 got one built in, I thought to bypass buying x-rite instead investing on a good RIP to use its ICC profile instead of making it myself for every paper I use. Am I right or I've missed something? any advice please?

michael

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 06:35:07 pm »

For the hobbyist, a RIP like Imageprint (the one that I'm familiar with) can simply life, but isn't a true necessity.

But for someone doing commercial or simply volume printing, especially when a wide variety of papers are used, it almost becomes a necessity. Not having to make custom profiles is a real plus in terms of time and effort.

Some claim the image quality is superior. Certainly in the bad old days it was, though now Epson's drivers are far better than they were. B&W is another area where Imageprint excels.

Not an inexpensive solution, but a good one if you understand its advantages.

Michael

orchidblooms

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:40:12 am »

I have a friend using Mirage... (noted landscape photog)

I think he is having douglas dubler create his profiles... He swears by the ability to print at 720 DPI, says he can see the difference - and loves the ease of layout with Mirage

I tried the demo, and can 'clearly' see this is best used with your own profiles as i did not see any discernible changes with the canned profiles...

I think Mirage and the new i1Publish Pro 2 will prove to be a winning combo...  personally i am learning to use imageprint 9 indemo mode - works very well on 4900 for Bw images - even compared to the epson advanced BW mode...  and handles subtle changes in colors, especially in flora... much better than canned profiles - i have tested with moab, hahnemuhle, ilford, canson and breathing color papers - by the box/ sample roll... (not sample packs)...  i have spent months learning the in and out of this printing...

if i had the bucks i would get the i1Publish Pro 2 profiling kit and mirage...

p.

yannb

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:14 pm »

Hello,

Consider EFI Fiery eXpress. They have an 'Epson only' version which is very cheap (we sell it for 350 euro without tax). It drives the 11880 in CMYK and RGB contone mode. This means you can use regular RGB output profiles created for the Epson driver if you want to.

Caldera is nice as well, costs about 1695 euro. Their 'Epson only' version now includes a license for Easymedia, a profiling module.

Regards,
Yann

jed best

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:00 pm »

I have both Mirage and ImagePrint 9. Both are terrific but will mention that the layout controls in Mirage are extremely easy. I can also attest that there are several other "Pros" who swear by Mirage. It is very popular in Europe and is just making a statement in the US.

orchidblooms

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:43:36 pm »

I have both Mirage and ImagePrint 9. Both are terrific but will mention that the layout controls in Mirage are extremely easy. I can also attest that there are several other "Pros" who swear by Mirage. It is very popular in Europe and is just making a statement in the US.

as to mirage - i agree 100% as to layout - but if you are not doing your own profiles - no big deal...

i could see mirage really shine with nice custom profiles

I have both Mirage and ImagePrint 9.

are you making your own profiles?

p.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:54:21 pm by orchidblooms »

jed best

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:43 am »

Yes, I make my own profiles for Mirage and for Lightroom but not for Imageprint. Mirage allows you to bring in an untagged target and print with no color management.

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

Just interested in how good the black & white output is with Mirage RIP? Does it offer the capability to reduce metamerism by reducing offending ink colours from the mix (like yellow)

Thanks
John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:17:36 pm by JohnAONeill »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:38:00 am »

I think it's really important to not buy into the "Your image quality will be better if you use a RIP" mantra that used to be true 10+ years ago. If you're going to use a RIP do so for other reasons (layout, tiling, nesting, workflow, 3rd party inkset support, etc) but not because you're expecting magically better image quality.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up