Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ClearShield Canvas Coating - Pros & Cons?  (Read 8491 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
ClearShield Canvas Coating - Pros & Cons?
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:58:56 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with ClearShield Liquid Laminate - Type C Satin?
I'm using this on Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte printed with an Epson 11880.
I apply it with an HVLP spray gun in a spray booth.

I'm on the never-ending quest for the perfect canvas coating!
Thanks!
Henry
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: ClearShield Canvas Coating - Pros & Cons?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »

Figuring out how to use the materials is always more fruitful than never-ending searches.  Type-C is fine.  Glamour II is fine.  Spend your time perfecting your application technique with either of those.  Further searching is probably futile, unless you want to save a few pennies per large canvas using something not really optimal. 

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:45 pm »

"Type-C is fine.  Glamour II is fine."
I used Glamour II for a couple years but did not like the thick plastic look to it. It was also much harder to work with. Glamour II tended to clog my sprayer and in some bottles it settled and formed a glue-like mess.

ClearShield Type-C has been much easier to work with and doesn't have the ugly plastic look. But I wonder if it provides the same kind of protection against abrasion.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:13 am »

I've used all of the ones mentioned here, and like Lexjet's coating the best.  I just wish that there was more differentiation in sheen, with a shinier gloss and a flatter satin.  I have yet to find a more forgiving, tougher finish.  I have no issues whatsoever with micro-bubbles, and it remains flexible and as tough as nails. 

I just sampled a new acrylic urethane finish that is called Ambrosia.  They claim Wilhelm Imaging certification, but there is no mention of it on the (archaic) Wilhelm site.  I had high hopes, and like the fact that it comes in flat, satin and gloss, but I don't like the slow drying time or sticky finish it produces.  It is susceptible to micro-bubbles like Timeless (although not as much), and has a tough finish, but it does not seem to like the climate here in Hawaii.  I'm sticking with Lexjet for satin and gloss, and Timeless for flat finishes.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:13:56 am »

Have never had a clogged sprayer from Glamour II, and I have sprayed canvas most days for the last several years.  The trick is to empty the gun and spray some hot water through it if it will go unused more than an hour or two.  I have seen no tendency for the gloss version to develop precipitates, although of course any matte coating will do that.

When comparing gamut hulls from the same printed target before and after coating, the smallest changes I have seen come from three relatively thin coats of Glamour II.  After-coating profiles generally shift the entire gamut down towards lower values, but carefully applied Glamour II seems to shift mostly only the darker areas, leaving the lightest tones almost unchanged.  If anybody wants to see screen grabs, just holler.  That results in a greater overall gamut volume, rather than the same gamut made duller.  From that and from what my eyes tell me, I infer Glamour II is nicely transparent if applied properly.  Don't know why I bother to argue about this.

Lexjet's product is a usable coating that IMHO does not have the good leveling qualities of Type-C and GII.  It does however have good transparency.  I would compare it to Rosco's bargain acrylic more than to GII.  Whatever else, I can store 24 gallons of GII concentrate under the 8300, but the equivalent 48 gallons of Type-C, Timeless, or whatever other use-undiluted coating would not fit.  Or, shipping 48 gallons of use-undiluted coating would cost a few hundred $ more than shipping GII concentrate, so there!

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:33 am »

I print mostly on the fairly textured, OBA free Sunset Reserve Matte canvas, apply quite a lot of Sunset coating, and like the degree of texture I wind up with.  I don't feel the need for additional leveling, and also don't really get a plastic like quality out of the final product that I've seen with some coatings (like ClearShield).  Some of that may be from the fact that the Sunset coating doesn't completely level out.  When Timeless came out, I liked the idea of having UV blocking properties, which Glamour II does not have.  Unfortunately, the complete absence of leveling agents in Timeless makes it a less desirable coating for me as it has real microbubble problems if applied heavily, so it requires more coats because it has to be sprayed lighter.  I also don't think it is nearly as tough as Glamour or the Lexjet coating.  Different horses for different courses.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »

I used ClearShield Original to coat my sign printed on Phototex and mounted to Dibond and hanging outside in full exposure to the elements on both sides. Still looks great after about 8 months now. The stuff is also very easy to spray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up