Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed removing line pattern in photoshop  (Read 3777 times)

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
Help needed removing line pattern in photoshop
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »

Hi all,

What tool or technique can I use in photoshop to remove line patterns like the ones in my example file ? The faint lines are hardly noticeable in the negative but clearly visible in a hi resolution (fluid mounted) drum scan  - looks like a defect in the emulsion (Efke 25 rollfilm).

Paul

Redcrown

Re: Help needed removing line pattern in photoshop
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:38:04 pm »

Gave it a try, using some common techniques like gradient maps and luminosity fills. While those techniques even out the tones, they also destroy the film grain.

What looks best to me is a frequency separation technique. If you don't know "frequency separation", Google it. There are many samples and tutorials out there.

Frequency separation creates two different layers, one containing the detail only and one containing the tone only. It is used most often to clone and heal on the detail layer without touching the tone layer. But if you blur the tone layer, the result is an evening out of tones without losing detail, like the film grain.

In your sample, bluring the tone layer bleeds the darks and lights together, thus reducing the "line pattern". How much reduction depends on the amount of blur.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »

Hi Redcrown,

I had the image rescanned and the lines are gone.

That's an interesting technique I hadn't heard of before - I'm going to try it anyway and learn something new.

:)

Paul

Gave it a try, using some common techniques like gradient maps and luminosity fills. While those techniques even out the tones, they also destroy the film grain.

What looks best to me is a frequency separation technique. If you don't know "frequency separation", Google it. There are many samples and tutorials out there.

Frequency separation creates two different layers, one containing the detail only and one containing the tone only. It is used most often to clone and heal on the detail layer without touching the tone layer. But if you blur the tone layer, the result is an evening out of tones without losing detail, like the film grain.

In your sample, bluring the tone layer bleeds the darks and lights together, thus reducing the "line pattern". How much reduction depends on the amount of blur.

Gulag

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:37:49 am »

Or you can google or youtube 'Frequency Separation' technique in Photoshop.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up