Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 28mm ... Thoughts?  (Read 12343 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Phase One 28mm ... Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »

Hello Andrew:

I owned and shot the Mamiya version of the 28mm for about 2 1/2 years.  My results are similar to yours, sweet spot is F11 to F16.  Your corners are actually a bit better than mine were.  As Guy mentioned, the ability to sharpen the corners in Capture one do help a lot on this lens.  Mine had a bit more detail smearing especially when used around F5 to F8. 

For the the 28mm was not very filter friendly.  I used a home made rig to allow me to use a Cokin X-pro holder over the built in shade.   I believe Phase One now offers a similar feature for this lens, I remember seeing it on the web during Photokina.

Doug's testing may prove me wrong, but I also don't think that there was much optical improvement in the Leaf version of the lens. 

I switched over to the Rodenstock 28mm HR and have found it provides a much more enjoyable shooting experience, especially with the addition of tilt. 

I also used the 35mm Mamiya for about the same time or longer.  Mine was a bit better in the corners when I was using a P45+, however that sensor is a 1:1 crop.  When I started using the 35mm on a 60mp sensor I quickly found that it was having much more trouble resolving to the sensor.  Mine was a older lens and I briefly tried a new one from B&H but found it preformed about the same. 

My single biggest complaint was the fact that neither of these lens were very good wide open, or even stopped down to say F6.3 or 7.  Shooting conditions I work in don't always allow for F11 to F16.  Also when I was using my P45+ on night shoots, I found the 35mm much better than the 28mm since my 28mm in the wider apertures showed considerable detail smearing.  Softness might be recoverable smearing can't be. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

FredBGG

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »

Ah, if only the TSE lenses could be used on Nikon...

Yes it's a great lens.

here is is fully shifted bottom right corner:

not shifted:

Even wide open at 3.5 it's exceptional. bottom right corner

Most importantly it has no visible CA so it takes sharpenning very very well if you shoot very stopped down
and diffraction starts to affect the image.

MrSmith

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40:57 pm »

Yes it's a great lens.

But it's important to note that its not 'very very good' or 'amazing', has field curvature issues, bad chromatic abhorration and is very hard to work with.  ::)

alosurdo

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!.

I only have this lens for a few more days, so i went out and shot some night scenes last night. I have found it much better in real world applications (compared to the "test" images i uploaded). Guy, i have found that actually focussing slightly further back in stead of fron is giving me better results.

Thanks again for your thoughts everyone, as always they are appreciated.

Andrew

FredBGG

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46:31 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!.

i have found that actually focussing slightly further back in stead of fron is giving me better results.

Andrew

With live view or in the viewfinder?

alosurdo

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 06:12:16 pm »

im on a P30+ so through the view finder :)

FredBGG

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:03 am »

im on a P30+ so through the view finder :)

If you are getting better results by focusing furthur back you may have a focus calibration issue.

Or are you simply focusing a bit further back so as to get a focus compromise for the center and the corners
of the frame. Focusing in between the two lens focal curvature panes..

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:42 am »

It's like lenses employed double-glazing. Now there's an idea!

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up