Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows and Mac OS  (Read 4865 times)

John Caldwell

Can anyone comment on their experience of sharing external hard drive containing their LR catalogs and images between Windows & Mac OS systems? In particular, have you any advice regarding what formatting scheme is best used for external drives that one plans to mount on both Windows and Mac systems?

I've been advised by Other World Computing, the supplier of the external enclosures we use, that formatting the drive with an ExFAT scheme is the best choice when mounting in both Windows and OSX environments. My very limited knowledge is that FAT32 formatting limits files sizes, to something like 2GB, and that this alone might make FAT32 an unlikely formatting choice. I have no knowledge of the ExFAT system and what its limitations might be.

Our goal is to mount external drives, via USB 2 or USB 3 connection, in both Windows Vista and OSX.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

chichornio

I´m working now on a 15" MacBook Pro Aluminiun late 2008 with both Mac Os Mountain Lion and Win 7 on Bootcamp. I use two external 1tb Lacie usb hard drives. I would suggest you to format the drives on Mac Os as a extended journaled, and buy a licence of Macdrive from Mediafour. So you can read, write and do whatever you want with the drives in both Win and Mac Os platforms.

john beardsworth

• My photography site

In the past I used Tuxera which allows Mac to write to NTFS.

John Caldwell

Thank you all. It appears that we have multiple options.

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up